What Happens at the Beach

Water Break

I got to work early, since I didn't even bother waiting for her. I waited in the break building until the beach opened. The two managers, Phil and Guy, were talking the the main office that they shared. This was my favorite building, it was air conditioned. My sweat was cold and sticky.

I sat down in a plastic chair and sighed. Blake came in a threw his car keys on the desk. He looked down at me and cocked his head.

"Whats up?" He asked, sitting on the desk. He looked around the corner at Phil and Guy, and then back at me.

"Oh, it's just...nothing." I sighed. He crossed his arms and rolled his eyes.

"You can't say, 'Oh, nothing' and then sigh and expect someone to believe it's 'nothing.' " Blake said. I smiled, because Blake was one of my favorite people in the world, even though I met him two weeks ago.

"Well, Hannah keeps getting into my life. She like, wants to pick who I should date. Like she keeps looking at me, and like her eyes are telling me, 'why do you always have to pick the one that will break your heart? Over and over and over again.' And it drives me crazy! Last night she was at the same place I was at with Tom, and she looked at me thinking about my last boyfriend, and I can't believe her thinking of me and Tom would remind her of me and my last boyfriend. Like, as if she thought Tom was going to be like him!" I complained.

"I wonder how many times you said 'like.'" Blake said tapping his finger on his chin. I smiled and rolled my eyes. "Do you feel any better?"

I thought for a moment, and nodded slowly. Sometimes all you need to do is tell someone what is bugging you and it feels so much better. "Danke." I smiled. He smiled back and left the room.

I tipped the chair back on its back two legs, and took a sip of my pop. I set it down and took off my life guard shirt and threw it on the desk. Everyone leaves their stuff on the desk. I drank my pop again.

"Hallo!" Said the familiar face popping out of the door way from the beach. I scream and my chair tipped and everything left in my pop spilled out onto my chest, soaking through my bikini top.

"TOM! Oh mein gott!" I shouted. Blake looked through from the room he went into and he laughed. Tom laughed too.

"Whoops! When does your work start?" Tom asked, leaning on the desk.

"About half an hour. At noon." I told him, getting up and setting the chair up right.

"Ok, lets go swimming then!" Tom said, pulling me out the door.

"Ok! Ok!" I slipped off my short blue shorts and threw them back in the building. Tom pulled me, and I stumbled around in the hot sand. The beach wasn't even open, but Phil and Guy let the staff swim before the beach opens. Tom pulled off his shirt as we were running.

"Ready?" Tom asked, seconds before the water. I nodded while laughing. We reached the water and I screamed from the coldness. Tom laughed and shoved my head under water. I struggled to get air. Tom let go and I surfaced. I took a deep breath and hit his arm. He laughed and tried to run away.

I tackled him and he submerged under water. I laughed and got off him. He stood up and lifted me. I screamed, and he hung me over his shoulder, twirling me around.

"Stephanie?" I hear. Tom turns around to look at who said it. He set me down. I laughed and turned around, then my face dropped. Hannah was standing at the edge of the water, really sad looking. I ran up to her.

"Hannah-" I started.

"You leave without me, to go and play with your new boy toy?!" She said.

"No! I didn't! I just came here and he pulled me in!" I try to convince her. She rolled her watery eyes. "Hannah!"

"Steph, why?" She asked.

"I don't......I don't know. Bitte! Please Hannah!" Now my eyes are filled with water and my sight was blurry.

"Steph, you are my best friend. Or you were. Why would you leave my though?"

"Hannah you still are my best friend." I told her. She looked down.

"Steph, I'm sorry. I know I've been different lately, and really protective. And I'm sorry. I guess I keep thinking that Tom will hurt you mentally like Jack hurt you physical." Hannah said and kicked a rock. I went closer to her and gave her a hug.

She breathed/cried on my shoulder. I guess it was that time of the month for her.

"Hannah, I think he's different." I said to her. She nodded on my shoulder. I held her at arms length and I smiled. She smiled back and wiped the tears from her eyes. I looked back at Tom. Bill was standing next to him and they were walking to their towels and stuff. I looked back at the break building and all the staff was staring at us. Mel, Tif, James, Blake, Guy and Phil.