A Book I'm Going to Write

Just Short of Magic

You don't realize how much a moment will mean to you until it is over.
Until your fingers are slowly spreading to allow space for someone else's, and your hands ache for the feeling of their skin against yours.
The knowing looks and the flirtatious smiles, the pushes and little kicks and running and the sudden slow of it all as your lips make contact. Time comes to a stand still and all else is suspended in thin air.
It's like holding your breath as this picture unfolds before your eyes. You never want to come up for air, never want to break the surface that holds your current reality.
And he grabs my hands and we dance under the stars. And it doesn't matter that hundreds of people surround us, the odor of booze and sweat emanating from them all, or that cars speed by us as he pulls me in for a long winded kiss under the traffic light on the corner of a street that I don't know in a neighborhood where i've never been, at 2:30am.
I haven't know him for longer than a day but my lips have already navigated his, his smell has already permeated my brain, the way his mouth curls into a sly sexy smile in engraved in my memory.
I think these moments come every so often in life- the ones that don't quite feel real, the ones that you know will always be special to you- will always stick out against the other ones. And maybe it will be a turning point kind of moment or maybe it will mark something bigger or maybe it will only ever be simply a memory that you cherish.
Maybe it wasn't the same for him and maybe it was all a dream and maybe something like that won't come again for another five years.
Who can ever know?
All I know is it was something short of magic.