The Parts of Me the Eyes Can't See

02/02

“Let me guess, the usual?” The same girl from yesterday asked me.

“Ha-ha,”I said sarcastically,“Why don’t we switch it up today?”

“Woah! You’ve never changed your order.”

“Well today is a new day, I’ll take two caramel lattes.” I said, being almost completely unsure of what I had just ordered.

“Two? I’m almost certain you don’t need that much caffeine.”

“Hey, one is for a friend.”

“Right.”

I cocked my eyebrow at her and she raised her hands in defense. “Two caramel lattes coming up.” She said.

I chuckled as I went to set up shop in my little corner. I checked my watch, 4:50pm.

“Don’t forget, we close early tonight for Christmas Eve.”

“How could I forget?” I said with a smile.

She’d show up. I know she would.

I passed the time by studying. I had finals the first week of January, but I couldn’t help studying on our holiday break. Before I knew it I had finished both cups of coffee and I was getting looks from the girl behind the counter.

“Nick, we’re closing.” The girl said.

I looked at my watch once more, 6:00pm. How did time fly so fast? She never showed. I nodded in agreement and began to pack up my things and put my hat and coat on.

“Merry Christmas.” I said to the coffee crew before I left.

I don’t know why I was so hurt by her not showing, I hadn’t seen her in over a year. It was stupid to ask her ‘out’. I started to begin my walk home. It didn’t feel too cheerful. Outside felt deserted. Everyone was with their families and I had no one to go home to.

“Nick.” I heard.

“Audrey, hi.” My heart skipped a beat.

She stepped closer to me but said nothing.

“You stood me up.”

“To be fair, I never agreed to anything.”

“Yeah, but I hoped you would show.”

“I stood outside the coffee shop for what felt like ages. I just couldn’t bring myself to go in. It’s been over a year Nick.”

“I know, I shouldn’t have asked you to meet me.” I said in a soft tone.

“But you did.”

“Yes I did.”

“And here we are.” She said taking a step closer to me.

“And here we are.” I repeated. I didn’t know what else to say.

“Walk with me?” She asked.

“Sure.”

We walked along 16th street until we reached Skyline Park. We talked about our past relationship and the time we had spent apart. It seemed surreal that she was here right now.

“Audrey, what are you doing here?” I asked.

“I told you, I’m visiting some family.”

“No, I mean what are you doing here with me?”

“I don’t know. I missed you Nick.” She said as she grabbed my hand and entwined her fingers with mine.

“It sure is beautiful here.” She said.

“It is.” I said as I looked up at the lit trees and the red and green clock tower. Denver was absolutely stunning, especially lit up and covered in a blanket of snow. I couldn’t help but lean over and kiss her.

She pulled away for a brief moment, I had taken her off guard. However, without any hesitation she kissed me once more.

“Why don’t you spend Christmas with us Nick? Mom would love to see you and we’d be able to do some more catching up.”

“Look Audrey, I don’t want to get involved or attached in anyway unless I know you’re one-hundred percent willing to try and see where things go with me…. With us.”

“Nick, over this past year I have felt a million emotions, but most of all I’ve felt incomplete. I want to try.”

“It’s about damn time.” I said with a smile. I pulled her into another kiss.

“Merry Christmas Nick.”

“Merry Christmas Audrey.”

I guess I wouldn’t be spending this Christmas alone after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a feel good story before the holidays! :)