So Far Away

Sarah

"So what exactly are you saying?" Evelyn spoke, not taking her gaze off of the sedated girl on the other side of the glass window.

"In Leigh-man's terms, she has maybe a month or two left." Doctor Richards sighed clutching his clipboard.

Those words ran like shivers down her spine. Evie's a 26 year old High school music teacher who all her students loved. She had grown quite attached to one 11th grader Sarah. Sarah was born to Dorothy and Walter Miller. The Millers tried so many years to have a baby but with no success until Dorothy was 47 years old. She gave birth to Sarah Jean Miller September 14th, 1995.

Sarah has always had a passion for music. So when she became a freshman and got Ms. Evelyn as a teacher she was thrilled. Evelyn is very talented with the drums and on the piano. Drums is something that really excited Sarah so Evie kind of took her under her wing to really get her better acquainted with the drums. Just a 10 year age difference between them, you'd say they became best friends rather fast. But since the beginning of Sarah's junior year, just after she turned 16 things began to go down hill. Sarah's father passed away from a heart attack at the age of 66. Her mother passed away just after Thanksgiving from falling out of the bathtub and hitting her head on the corner of the sink.

Evelyn stepped in as her guardian and serves as a foster parent. With the help of the faculty and staff at the school for their kind words of recommendation in their favor. It was better for Sarah, after she was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer March 3rd of this year. It started with a week of constant headaches and once the testing came back it showed a very aggressive tumor which could not be removed. Treatments began but at that point it was only barely prolonging the inevitable. Evelyn vowed to make the most out of what time left she did have.

"Quit staring at me." Sarah groaned as she felt Evie's presence resting to her left.

"I'm not staring at you!" She sarcastically lied.

"I hate being in here."

"I know, but you'd be in pain if you were at home." Evie reminded.

"They can give me something. Please Evie, I don't want to spend what time I have left in a damn hospital bed. I want my bed, my room, and my drums."

"We'll see, but right now you need to rest." Evelyn spoke with sorrow in her eyes. Sarah was truly her best friend. She gave up numerous friends and a 2 year long relationship just to focus her life on Sarah this passed school year. Sarah did feel guilty though. Evelyn was just supposed to be her music teacher not someone who would give up her life just to take are of one of her students.

She wouldn't be able to do it all alone though. Their school and just about everyone in the community all have pitched in to help Sarah. They raised money for appropriate burials for both of Sarah's parents. They are still raising money for her medical bills as well. It was heartwarming to Evelyn how such tragic events brought everyone together to help out in time of need.

Evelyn made her way to school to start her day. She pulled her rolled sleeves down to cover the artwork that she possessed. She pulled her jet black hair back in a messy but tight bun. She finished over her emerald eyes with a charcoal eye pencil and put her glasses on the end of her nose. Evelyn was about 5'5 and 134 pounds. Her body was very well flattered with colorful tattoos that she accumulated over the years. A natural born Californian she obtained a natural bronze tan. She had an oval face with a buttoned nose. She used to work out 4 times a week to maintain her figure but that's been downsized to running early in the mornings. She was rather curvy in the right places, she had a perfectly rounded booty that she suffered many squats to obtain. Today she had on a white button front blouse, black straight leg dress slacks, and her signature black Chuck Taylors. She always dressed professionally but she was rebellious over her shoes.

"Good morning Ms. Evelyn." Her first class chorused as she came in.

"Good morning punks." She grinned placing her stuff on her desk.

"How's Sarah?" Jerry asked, this was Sarah's first period class.

"She's not so good to be honest. It seem's we're reaching the end but we all need to keep positive energy flowing her way." She half smiled fighting off an emotional melt down. There was a lot of built up emotion she was holding onto. She hasn't openly cried yet over all of this which wasn't a good thing to do.

"There must be something we can do for her." Melanie sighed also feeling helpless for her classmate.

"Is there something that we can do for her? Like can we take her on a trip or take her to an amusement park or something?" Emily chimed in.

"I'm sure there is something we can do for her, let me mull over some ideas with her and see what she really wants to do and maybe we can get something going. Because sitting in bed all day on pain medication is not something a 16 year old wants to do." Evelyn agreed admiring how thoughtful her students were. "Alright y'all lets get started." She clapped pulling out her book thumbing through songs for the day.

The 3 o'clock bell chimed and Evelyn was out as fast as her students were. She placed her messenger bag over her head and swung it behind her. She pulled her hair tie out of her hair letting long curls fall down her back as she rolled up her sleeves. Once she pushed through the double doors the strong 80 degree sunlight caressed her face. She could already sense the salty beach air that was just 3 miles away from the school house. Evelyn hopped into her Jetta and drove on over to the hospital where she was 8 hours earlier.

"Ms. Bailey?" Nurse Melissa greeted her as soon as she walked passed the front desk.

"Has something happened?" Her eyes widened by the tone of her voice.

"No, no everything is fine. Dr. Richards wanted me to inform you that in light of his ruling, and Sarah's request, he's going to be releasing Sarah under your care. Sarah has expressed to him she wants to be at home until the end. She'll be ready to be released tomorrow afternoon with instruction on how to care for her."

"I understand. That's great I know she's itching to be able to play her drums again." Evelyn half smiled before going to Sarah's room. She pressed her lips to Sarah's naked scalp. Missing those natural brown curls she once had, her thick long eye lashes were finally all gone. Sarah was still beautiful no matter if she had hair or not.

"What did I say about staring you weirdo?" Sarah opened her bright hazel eyes to look at Evie.

"Literally just walked in. But good news, I'm busting you out of here tomorrow.!" She enthused tapping her covered foot.

"Seriously? Gosh yes! I think I begged that Doctor enough." She smiled devilishly.

"Yeah he was ready to get rid of you. But everyone asked about you in school again today. You ought to update them on your Facebook when you get home."

"I will. You have a look on your face. What's it mean?"

"I'm not a fortune cookie." She laughed.

"All I'm saying is that you look like you have more to say."

"Well-" She began.

"I knew it!" Sarah cheered adjusting her bed to sit up.

"Shut up. Anyways is there something you want to do? Like when you come home. Is there any place you want to travel or somewhere cool you want to go see? Our time left is precious and I don't want you being bored, I want you to have some fun."

"Well I guess there are a few things that I would like to do but it's too much to do with however much time I have left."

"Ok well lets start at the biggest and we'll work with what we can from there." She smiled setting back in her chair.

"This is depressing. It's like requesting your last meal on death row."

"Sarah. Don't act like that." She shot her a raised eyebrow.

"It's true Evie." She shot back presenting the same look. "I'm 16, I should be worrying about getting a car and going to Prom. Not sitting here deciding what I want to do before I die."

"I can sympathize with how hard this is. But you and I are in this together. I want you to have the best life you possibly can while we're here to enjoy it together."

"You're good." She smirked tapping her chin with her index finger. "I want to go to an Avenged Sevenfold concert and play drums with the Rev himself."

"Sounds like a reasonable request, I might be able to make this happen somehow!" Evelyn cheered already brainstorming how she would preach this idea.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes dummy, now get some rest I've got to get home. I'll be here tomorrow to take you home." She smiled kissing the top of Sarah's head again before leaving.

Evelyn walked through the doors of her apartment and struggled to keep her composure. Sugar cookies. The sudden smell of sugar cookies consumed her senses as she closed her door. Sarah's favorite sent is sugar cookies, so she placed numerous car fresheners around the apartment to accent the smell along with the candles they burned at night. Evelyn realized at that moment her time was precious with Sarah. It was as if death was coming for her as well, she was terrified of the day where she'd find her lying there dead. But she had to push those terrible thoughts from her mind and make the most out of the life Sarah had left. She immediately went to her Facebook group who are Sarah supporters and wrote a lengthy status on Sarah's wish. She could only hope that she could bring Sarah's wish come true.
♠ ♠ ♠
yay new story! Had to do a different kind of Avenged Sevenfold story! So comment, rec, and subscribe!! I love all of my readers :D