So Far Away

Send The Word

Evelyn awoke that Saturday morning rather early. Of course she enjoyed sleeping in, her body knew it didn't need it today. She sat up groggily and carelessly scratched all over her head causing multiple strands to fall loosely out of her bun. She was in her favorite red satin night gown which she didn't understand why she wore night lingerie like that since she didn't have anyone to impress in the bedroom. But she grabbed the matching robe that accented the ensemble and tied it around her petite figure.

Once she prepared her coffee, she grabbed a bowl of oatmeal and went out on her patio. She pulled her glasses on and stuck them at the end of her nose and placed a Marlboro in between her plump lips. The thick white smoke burned down her throat, clutching her lungs until she blew it out. Her phone had so many missed notifications she had to clear them all from her main screen and get to her Facebook. In the 6 hours she was asleep her Facebook post went viral. Thousands of people were sharing Sarah's story, far beyond California. People were commenting "Shared in New York, Shared in Texas." One even said "Shared in Honolulu." She just couldn't believe where this story had gotten.

The amount of love and attention her small post created brought tears to her eyes. It was truly amazing how much selfness still existed in the world.

"Fantastic." Evie smiled closing her phone and stumping her cigarette. She made her way to her bathroom to get her shower started. Once her close were tossed to the floor a thick comb was raked through her wavy locks. Goosebumps greeted her tanned skin as the hot water collided against her. The aroma of moroccan oil danced around her nose as it foamed around her hair. An oatmeal and honey body wash was squeezed over her loofah as she bathed her whole body vigorously. Once she was finished she stepped out and wrapped a towel around her waist and hair.

"Oh Evelyn." She self loathed a bit. She almost was sad that she didn't have a significant other to be apart of her life. Someone to be there when she needs him and understands her commitment to Sarah.

She dressed herself in a pair of khaki shorts and a purple rain shirt. The top of her hair was pulled back with pins as the bottom half flowed down her back in spiraled curls. While slipping into her faded and beaten up low tops her phone began ringing.

"Yellow?" She almost sang.

"Evie." A familiar yet more raspier voice breathed in her ear.

"What's up Conner?" Her once pleasant voice turned to almost annoyed.

"What are you doing today? The guys are getting together for a jam 'sesh. Do you feel like a drum battle?"

"I'm bringing Sarah home from the hospital today. And besides what would Ramona say?"

"I'm not trying to Fuck you Evie. I've accepted that we aren't together anymore but some of these people still hope you'll rekindle your friendships."

"I don't need to rekindle dick. Those so called friends dropped me because I took Sarah in. You all gave me that ultimatum and I chose Sarah. I'd love to hang out with you guys again but it wouldn't be the same. You guys spoke your peace and we'll just leave it all at that."

"Sarah is your student, not your child."

"Sarah doesn't have parents. She would lie in a hospital bed until she finally died. That is no life to live. Besides she's a better friend than any of you fuck's will ever be!" Evelyn raged hanging up on her ex boyfriend. Conner was 28 years old, she met him at a Frat party. He introduced her to all of his friends. They took a sincere liking to her because of her musical talent. She did miss them but none of them cared for her commitment to Sarah. Those never were her real friends she came to realize.

"Dick head!" She exhaled jumping in her scorching vehicle. "Oh great!" She sighed when her air conditioning would't kick on. Evie headed out to Walmart to pick up a few of Sarah's favorite snacks. Sarah had been in the hospital for 2 weeks after becoming to weak with her treatments.

"Ms. Bailey!" Max and a couple more of her senior students greeted as she reached the automatic doors.

"Hey guys what's up?" She grinned placing her sunglasses on top of her head.

"We're setting up a station! We seen your Facebook post about Sarah's wish. We're trying to get the word out." Rachel cheered.

"You guys are so sweet. You gave up a sunny Saturday to help Sarah?"

"The sun and Saturday's will always be there." Max added.

"I love you guys." She laughed out to cover her emotions.

"Look the news is here!" Chelsea pointed out.

"You called the news?" Evelyn gasped at the rest of the kids' excitement.

"This is Michael Winslow with HB news, we're standing out her today at Huntington Beach's Walmart. We're reporting about a young girl named Sarah Miller. She was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer a few months ago. Her classmates along with her caregiver and music teacher Evelyn Bailey are out her trying to fulfill Sarah's wish. Evelyn, what exactly is Sarah trying to do?"

"Well Michael, all she really wants is to have a chance at seeing her favorite band play and meeting them."

"And that would be?"

"Avenged Sevenfold. Sarah is very passionate at music and very talented with the drums. She wants to play alongside her favorite drummer Jimmy Sullivan."

"Wow, do you think they'll grant her request?" Michael pressed on considering they were a popular band.

"You never know until you ask. What has she got to lose?"

"Now you're her music teacher, is that how you took on the roll as guardian?"

"Ms. Bailey is the best teacher anyone could ever have! Sarah lost both of her parents last year and Ms. Bailey has been nothing but selfless to Sarah. We want Sarah's dream to come true!" Malcom finished trying to steer the news reporter back to the story at hand.

"Well there you have it! Classmates and a wonderful high school music teacher coming together to make a 16 year olds dying wish come true. I'm Michael Winslow with HB news, good afternoon."

"So do you think the actual band will see that on the news?" Rachel asked.

"Maybe they do live around here. I'm sure someone affiliated with them will see this. Hopefully they'll have a big enough heart to agree to it. Keep up the awesome work guys I gotta get a few things here before I can get Sarah and take her home."

"Bye Ms. Bailey!" They chorused as she walked into the store. She went over and picked out a few of Sarah's favorite snacks. To focus, she popped her ear buds in and turned on her iTunes.

"Ah Christmas!" Evie groaned trying to reach the gushers on the top shelf. "We will, we will rock you!" She chanted standing on her tiptoes on the bottom shelf she was standing on. "Fuck." She gasped falling backwards into someone.

"Did you rock them Christmas?" A man dressed in all black asked. This man had the hood to his black hoodie pulled over his head and thick black sunglasses covered half of his face.

"I'm so sorry, and it's an expression." Evelyn shyly laughed pulling her ear buds out. "You look as though you're going to rob the store."

"Walmart? That's like a 13 man job! But you look like a blast from the past." He defended pointing at her shirt.

"Touche. Ok you're pretty tall, can you get me those gushers?"

"Hmm. I don't know, you kind of hurt my feelings."

"I apologize. Can you please get me the gushers down as I am too short to do so myself?"

"Well I guess so!" He cheesed snatching them easily off of the shelf and placing it in her basket.

"Thank you mystery man."

"Pleasure was all mine." He bowed.

Evelyn exchanged another smile before walking off to the check out line. Once checked out she gave another wave to her students and noticed the mystery man talking to them.

"So what are y'all selling?" He asked.

"We aren't selling anything. We're trying to raise attention for a classmates dying wish." Max corrected.

"Oh ok. What are you guys trying to do for her?"

"She wants to meet Avenged Sevenfold and play drums with their drummer. She's a kick ass drummer." Chelsea added.

"Sounds commendable. What is she sick with?" He pressed on.

"Brain cancer." Evelyn answered.

"Oh man."

"She's our music teacher and she takes care of her." Rachel smiled proudly.

"Can I get your number? I know the bands manager. I can give him a call and see about getting you in touch with them."

"I hope you're not joking." She sighed writing her number on an index card.

"I swear, you will get a call later."

Evelyn walked off to her car. Breaking Benjamin echoed through the parking lot as she made her way to the hospital.

"Evie you're on the news!" Sarah cheered as Evelyn made her way into her room.

"Damn that was fast." She chuckled sitting at the end of the bed to watch.

"Gosh word is traveling fast!" Sarah grinned checking out her Facebook.

"At this rate your chances should be really good at meeting them."

"You really think so?"

"If they don't follow through with this, then they lost me and so many others as fans."

"I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Evelyn?" Doctor Richards greeted from the doorway.

"Come in."

"I still highly recommend you to stay Sarah, but we cannot hold you here. So just know you can always come back and be treated. If pain is unbearable you need to come back to put you on morphine. I'm giving you a list of prescriptions to be taken everyday and in what order. Also do not stare into bright lights and try and stay away from loud crashing or screeching noises."

"Doc come on. I don't have much time left. I can figure this out." Sarah sighed rubbing her neck.

"Right. Evelyn, if you have any questions or concerns my number is on the forms. Do not hesitate to call me."

"Thank you Doctor, for everything."

"Yeah, yeah! Let's blow this joint!"

"Alright chief lets go."

"Oh my God. Ding dongs! You got Ding dongs!" Sarah screamed ripping the box open.

"Save some for me! Gosh we haven't even pulled off yet and you're into your second one." Evelyn teased.

"Get bent! There mine!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello!!! I got so many readers in just a few short hours I figured I better hurry up and post another! I know I dread waiting for updates myself! lol so let me know what you think!! I promise the boys will be in the next chapters! the beginnings are always boring. :D

BTW: Thanks to my amazing friend Samantha (CaptainTwinkie) for the amazing layout <3