So Far Away

Late Night Surprise

Friday night had finally arrived and Evelyn took a sigh of relief as she sat down. She couldn't believe another school year was only a few days away from being completed. Sarah had fallen asleep just an hour prior, so Evie had tidied up the apartment. The sound of complete silence began making her ears ring, she snatched her messenger bag from the floor and began pulling out old lesson plans to save her the trouble of doing so on Wednesday. She finally sat back in her couch to thumb through her Facebook page. Reminiscing old times through old pictures she still hadn't deleted.

That instant sense of depression and uncertainty washed over her at that moment. She missed Conner so much, she had hoped things could have been different. Maybe he could of changed his mind and accepted the fact that Evelyn was going to be taking care of Sarah until the end. Or he could of just been patient and been her friend even though he couldn't be her lover. She didn't know wether to hate him or love him, she hated sitting and over thinking things she had no control over. A buzz from her phone pulled her out of her distant gaze into the photo of her and Conner.

"What are you doing?" Jimmy's name entered the top of her screen.

A smile curled around her lips bringing her back to reality. "Facebooking, depression myself lol. You?" She responded rather quickly.

"Out and about causing mischief."

"Sounds fun, look I know you don't know me all that well but I really need someone to just talk to right about now." Evie sent back, instantly feeling like an idiot for even asking.

"Absolutely! A shoulder to cry on perhaps? Just kidding! I can be over in a jiffy!" He responded enthusiastically.

Evelyn went and put a robe over her shorts and tank top ensemble, she didn't want to send Jimmy the wrong message this late at night.

"That was quick." She chuckled hearing obnoxious banging at the door. "Ok, I'm coming."

"Evie." A very drunk Conner spoke, slumped over on the door frame.

"What are you doing here?"

"Aren't you going to let me in?"

"No." She answered quickly stepping out on the step.

"There was a time when you'd yank me in to your room."

"Yeah, but we aren't in those times anymore." She rolled her eyes placing hair behind her ears.

"You're beautiful when you're mad." He smirked pulling at her arm.

"Is there a reason why you're here?" She growled snatching her arm away.

"You have someone in there?" He almost stuttered out.

"No, but I am expecting a friend. So i'd like you to leave."

"You're expecting someone over this late at night, dressed like that?" His voice elevated.

"Its no concern to you either way!" She spat walking back into her apartment, which Conner forced the door back wider knocking Evelyn a few inches forward. "What are you doing?" Her voice heightened as she caught her balance.

"You dumped me to take care of some sick kid and now you've moved on to someone else!?"

"Excuse me? It was a mutual break up Conner! And I don't have time to be with someone either! But I am entitled to have friends!"

"Shut up! Stop lying to me!" He shouted, slapping her across the face so forcibly that she fell over.

"You need to leave!" She stumbled back to her feet pushing him into the door.

"And what if I don't?"

"Like I said, I have someone coming over. They'll make you leave." She threatened.

"You can't make me leave Evie." He chuckled.

"Just go!" She ordered whipping the front door open and attempting to push him out. "You're drunk, I don't even know why you brought yourself here. Go home to your bitch."

"You don't talk about Ramona like that!" He pushed her out onto her concrete steps.

"Hey!" Jimmy's voice echoed through the night air. "What's your deal buddy!?" He interrogated, snatching Conner up by his collar and yanking him out on the grass.

"Easy slim, this doesn't have anything to do with you."

"I suggest you leave." Jimmy lowered his voice letting him go.

"Evelyn, are you alright?" Zacky asked helping her up and brushing her knees off.

"Yes, thank you." She almost chuckled, embarrassed that she hadn't controlled the situation before they got there.

Brian was still engrossed into his phone, finishing his cigarette by the car. As soon as he flicked it away he realized Jimmy had hands on someone so he high stepped it over to them. "Take a hike." He ordered pushing Conner away.

"Don't put your hands on me pretty boy."

"Pretty boy huh?" Brian laughed at the corny remark.

"Conner just leave." Evelyn sighed, clutching her robe closed.

"Alright, but we aren't finished." He pointed a shaky finger at her before stumbling away.

"I am so sorry. He literally came here a few minutes after I spoke to you." Evelyn explained.

"Is that an ex or something?" Brian laughed at the idea of Evelyn being attracted to someone like that.

"Yes, I haven't seen him in a few months. Not really sure as to why he decided to pop in."

"Come on let's get inside." Jimmy suggested walking towards the door.

"You know, we were on our way to take Brian home but he didn't want to be left out." Zacky teased.

"Really?" Brian groaned side eyeing his friend.

"It's true." Jimmy laughed.

"Well y'all were about to drop me off and then come here. I'd of been all alone. The night is still young."
He defended.

"You just wanted to see Evelyn." Zacky kept on.

"No." He scoffed looking away.

"Well I didn't want to see you either." Evelyn wrinkled her face at his remark.

"Where's Sarah?" Jimmy asked looking around noticing the silence.

"She's asleep. The pain medicine she takes for her head wipes her completely out."

"I see. Matt and Johnny are excited to meet you two. But their not cool like us, their married so they can't come out at night like we do." Jimmy smiled.

"Oh I understand. But I do appreciate you coming over."

"We are too. You had a real creep on your hands." Zacky pointed out.

"He's never been like that though. But that was part of the reason I asked you here. This sitting here in silence letting my thoughts wander is depressing."

"Well how's about we get in depth with our feelings when it's just you and I to talk. How's about a game of sorry?" Jimmy suggested.

"YES!!!" Brian agreed rather happily.

"Hmm, let me go see if I even still have that game." Evelyn quickly spoke, walking to her room.

She immediately broke down. The fact that Conner, someone she loved with all of her might actually hit her. He had never raised a hand to her before. I guess she finally realized that she meant nothing to him anymore so it didn't hurt him to hit her. She gently touched the place where he hit her and sobbed harder. She pushed her bathroom door slightly shut to bury her face into a towel to muffle her sobs.

"You're a dick." Jimmy whispered swatting a hand at Brian's arm.

"What!?" He whined rubbing his arm.

"Can't you say anything nice to her?"

"Can she?"

"She retaliates you picking on her. I wouldn't be nice to you either."

"I don't know, she makes me feel weird."

"Someone's got the hot's for her." Zacky teased.

"I do not."

"Well it's something, I bet you hurt her feelings." Jimmy added.

"Go apologize to her." Zacky suggested.

"Are you serious?" He laughed.

"Yes. And it would be better if you did it now." Jimmy explained, shooting him a very familiar look that Brian really didn't care for.

"Fine." He sighed pushing off of the counter and slowly walking down the hallway to find Evelyn. He peaked into Sarah's room, a small smile curled around his lips actually noticing all the dedication she had on her wall of their band. This girl really does love Avenged Sevenfold. Brian kept walking noticing a small light shining off of what appeared to be Evelyn's bedroom. "Evelyn?" He whispered walking into her room. He could hear her muffled cry's and sniffles. "Jesus." He sighed throwing his head back, anxiety swept over him thinking that she was in here crying over the remark he made earlier.

"Evelyn, are you alright?" He pushed the door open almost startling her.

"Yes!" She sniffled. She had her back to him as she was trying to clear her throat and rub the tears from her face. "I'm sorry, I was looking for the game."

"Evelyn, look I'm really sorry-" He began before she practically threw herself into his chest. "Evelyn. I didn't realize I had upset you this bad." Brian apologized really feeling terrible at this point.

"It's not you. I'm just really dealing with a lot, I'm not used to having someone here while I'm dealing with this shit. I'm sorry, I'm completely embarrassed."

"Why are you embarrassed? Everyone cries and has feelings."

"But I mean who am I compared to you guys? You all don't need to worry about my feelings. I am absolutely ecstatic over what you guys are doing for Sarah, I truly am. I just can't believe you guys are sticking around this much."

"We are all people Evelyn. It's nice for us to get away from the fast life and actually get to know new people and make friendships. Jimmy really has taken a keen liking to you and Zacky seems to think you guys can instill a friendship that never got to happen in high school. I'm just a dick who doesn't know how to really talk to girls unless it's about sex. Don't look at us as anything above you guys because we aren't."

"I feel like an idiot." She sighed, still holding onto him.

"Please don't. Goodness what's wrong with your face?" Brian asked quickly turning her face to the left to show the bright red hand print that was still painted on her face.

"That's nothing. It's over with now."

"That punk hit you? You're sure you're done with him?"

"Yes, he's an ex that showed up drunk for no apparent reason." She explained stepping away to hide her face.

"I want to know if he comes back again. If he feels like slapping someone, he can try me." He informed, gently rubbing her cheek.

"Noted." She smiled placing a hand over top of his that was still rested at her cheek. "Let's go board gaming."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please excuse the delay!! I have written this chapter numerous times trying to get it right and this time Ive finally got it semi decent!! Currently working on the next chapter, I thank each and everyone of my wonderful readers and subscribers! :D