So Far Away

Good For The Soul

Evelyn had woken around 7 the next morning with a smile. Actually clearing the air with Brian last night and realizing it wasn't her, it was him with the problem. She was glad that he spoke to her with such sincerity, it really lifted her spirits.

"Evie?" Sarah's voice sounded from the other end of her door.

"Come in." She yawned setting up in her bed.

"Hey, you're up early." She smiled taking a spot next to her.

"Yeah, feeling very well rested I guess."

"Me too, I feel amazing."

"Really? That's great!"

"Yeah, let's go for a run." She enthused hopping back out of bed.

"Sarah, I don't know if that's the best thing."

"I know my body Eve's. I want to run. To the beach It's good for the soul!"

"Alright then, but not for to long."

"Yeah yeah get changed."

Evelyn rolled herself out of bed and went to the bathroom. After brushing her teeth and using the toilet, she strode back over to the closet to dig out her work out clothes. She put on a pair of grey spandex leggings and a black sports bra. She was lacing up her Nike's when Sarah popped back in her room.

"Gosh you look like something out of a magazine." Sarah grinned.

"No I don't." She laughed.

"Well you look good."

"So do you. Shorts, short enough?" She smirked eyeing her attire.

"Oh well, you only live once."

"That's for sure. Ok come on before I make you change."

"I'll race you to the beach."

"Sarah, you haven't run in a long time. That's a two mile run."

"I know." She giggled, taking her head start sprint.

"You're nuts!" Evelyn shouted trying to catch up to her.

"My heart is still healthy!"

The amount of training the two girls have had in their lives they could make this run in no time. Evelyn knew it wasn't wise to run this length unless she did some extensive stretching, but she didn't want to back down from a challenge like this. The sun was just rising at this point in the morning, so no one was out walking the streets yet. Only those who were on their way to work were out on the road. They could hear the waves crashing as they grew closer to their destination. The salty sea air was intoxicating to Sarah for she hasn't seen the beach in almost a year. This only made her want the beach even more and she hurried her pace.

Evelyn noticed her instant speed and paced herself before rushing out to catch up to her. "I'm going to beat you."

"No way." Sarah breathed out as they both jumped over a bench outside the barrier of the sand.

"Oh my God." Evelyn gasped as she crashed just inches from the shore line. "That was intense."

"Now that I've stopped I'm exhausted. I felt like I could of kept running."

"Girl you trying to kill me." Evelyn chuckled getting up to stretch.

"You running a marathon?" Jimmy's voice rang through the waves.

"You got a GPS tracker on me?"

"No." He responded spinning around as if he was messing with an actual tracking device.

"Oh my gosh its M. Shadows!" Sarah cheered rushing into a huge embrace with her idolized singer.

"Nice to meet you Sarah." He smiled swinging her around. "You're Brian's girlfriend?"

"What?" Evelyn laughed looking over at Brian.

"I'm just messing. It's nice to meet you." He chuckled noticing Evelyn and Brian's dramatic faces.

"It's nice to meet you as well. Good lord you are ripped." She complimented.

"Someone's gotta be the better looking one."

"I'm so glad you said that thank you." Jimmy grinned patting Matt's shoulder.

"I've never seen you guys out here running." Brian stated.

"It's been a long time. But speed racer over here wanted to run this morning." Evelyn explained.

"Loads of energy this morning. Fingers crossed for a good day." Sarah replied actually crossing her fingers.

Evelyn watched in amazement how happy Sarah was here lately. Her spirits in all of this were extraordinary. She was very thankful that she was able to reach out to the guys of Avenged Sevenfold and they had obliged to meet her. Evelyn knew deep down that this was exactly what was keeping Sarah alive, for a while there it seemed Sarah was going to give up. From her last stay in the hospital Evelyn just knew that she would be there until the end. But to see her on this day so happy, so full of energy, she had a greater hope that Sarah may be able to overcome this.

"Dreaming of me?" Jimmy nudged Evelyn out of her deep thought.

"Just admiring her happiness." She retaliated watching Sarah show Matt and Brian how to do a proper hand stand.

"Lets take a walk."

"I don't think I should leave Sarah." Evie objected quickly meeting Jimmy's gaze.

"We aren't going far, besides they'll take care of her." Jimmy reassured taking Evelyn's arm in his, leading her down the shore line. "So lets talk about that creep from last night." Jimmy began.

"Oh yes, Conner."

"Hmph. That thing has a name?" Jimmy cringed at the thought.

"You know, he wasn't always like that. He was very charming and sweet. Very romantic to say the least, but he really knew how to always keep a smile on my face. From the moment I met him. We were very close friends all through college. It was right after graduation that we decided to become more than that"

"What changed?"

"It began when Sarah lost her parents. Sarah's parents had her very, very late in life. So natural causes took them and she was left an orphan. Sarah really grew on me. I was in a foster home for most of my life until Dennis and Miranda came and adopted me. So I know what it's like to feel completely lost and broken with no family, I didn't want the same thing to happen to Sarah. She's an amazing student, wonderful drum player, that talent couldn't be taken away." She paused to wipe a stray tear away. "I announced to Conner that I was going to take Sarah in and be her legal guardian until she no longer needed me. That was the deal breaker, he couldn't stand to see me give away my attention so suddenly. He didn't want me to take her in, and he made me choose. So I chose Sarah."

"Such selfishness from someone who claims love to you. You chose properly, I commend you for what you've done." Jimmy complimented stealing a side hug as they continued walking arm in arm.

"Thank you Jimmy." She smiled moving strands of hair from her face.

"When did she get sick?"

"A few months after she came to live with me. Lots of back to back headaches, nausea, slurring of the speech. I knew something was wrong, Sarah couldn't accept the fact that something was going to be wrong. But when we got the diagnosis that it was in it's final stage already and that there was nothing they could do we just decided to make everyday worth living. She plays her drums when she wants to, she doesn't go to school anymore, and now she's met you. You guys have truly lifted her spirits, just being able to talk to you makes her heart smile like I've never seen before."

"You've given her that hope you know. You've been there for her when no one else was or could be. You chose this girl to take care of because it was meant to be. You should never beat yourself up over that fuck face Conner because he was trash. He had zero faith in you for Sarah, and now look at all you've done for her."

"You're right. It was very hard for me to say goodbye to Conner. I was so in love with him, I never once looked or fantasized about another man being with him. He made me feel so good. I think that's why I'm having a hard time letting him go. I know he doesn't care for me anymore, he definitely proved that to me last night. But you always have that little bit of hope in the back of your head that holds out for the chance that he'll come back and admit he made a mistake."

"But would you really consider taking him back? I mean, after him leaving you when you needed his support the most? He put his hands on you, that can't be over looked either."

"No, I couldn't go back to him. Those thoughts would always run through my mind. When he hit me it was like a knife through my chest. I've been around him drunk before and he was never violent with me, he had intentions of hurting me and I know he would of done a lot more had you guys not showed up."

"You deserve way better than that Evelyn. All the good and kindness you've given away to those around you deserves a very appreciative man."

"Yeah, maybe he'll find me one day. Until then, I enjoy where my life has brought me." Evelyn grinned wrapping an arm around Jimmy's waist as they turned around to go back to where they began.

"Did you like propose or something?" Matt chuckled as they walked back.

"Yes. We shall be wed in Autumn." Jimmy envisioned scooping Evie up and swinging her around.

"Oooohhh." Sarah cooed, nudging Brian arm.

"What?" He laughed at her girlish tone.

"I thought you liked Evie."

"You talk to much." He shrugged off placing an arm around her.

In all actuality Brian was growing very fond of Evelyn. How she was built, the smell of her hair, her emerald eyes that seemed to glow when he looked into them. The way her tattoos sat upon her sun kissed skin was breathtaking. He kicked himself for being such an ass in the beginning. It appeared Jimmy had earned her attention right from the get but Brian had no room to try and butt into that.

"We've gotta get going. But I'll call you soon." Jimmy smiled softly.

"Sounds great, I know we're ready for your show next weekend." Evelyn responded.

"It's going to be epic! I cannot wait!" Sarah cheered nearly breaking Brian's arm in half.

"Excitement! I love it. Catch you soon little one." Matt hyped before kissing Sarah's hand.

"Bye guys, it was nice seeing you all."

"Let's run back home." Sarah grinned devilishly.

"You're not serious. You are serious. Alright let's go."

----------------

"Alright now I see what the fuss has been about." Matt began as they piled into his SUV.

"What you mean?" Jimmy asked, ignorant to his statement.

"Evelyn. She's sexy." He looked at Brian over top of his famous aviators.

"Yes she is." Brian agreed with a sigh.

"I'm telling Valary." Jimmy teased.

"I'll break your neck Rev." Matt threatened.

"Chill dude. Brian why don't you ask her out, romantically?" Jimmy grinned.

"No, wouldn't want to step on your toes."

"My toes? What are you talking about?"

"I see she likes you and I know you like her too."

"We're just friends. You know that's how I am with everyone. She needs a good friend and I'm being just that for her. But I see how you look at her, it's different from how I've seen you look at other women."

"I don't know how to be romantic. I just know how to fuck beautiful women and that be it."

"Well it's time you start. We'll have to get the women in on all of this." Matt smirked.

"Oh no please. I'll watch a video or something." Brian begged, thinking of the torment he's going to endure.

"Already calling Val."
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of short I know but what do you guys think? Do you think Brian's got a good shot of turning his macho attitude around for Evelyn? Comment and Subscribe I love to hear from my readers :D