So Far Away

Chapter 9

The atmosphere was uncomfortable. It had been a long time since Evelyn stepped foot into this diner. Everything that she had remembered about this place seemed to have changed. The sweet smell of freshly baked honey rolls seemed tainted, the grease from the fryer made her insides twist and turn as if she were deathly ill. The disappointment this place gave her was worn on her face almost instantaneously.

"I'm so glad you decided to meet me this morning." Conner began trying to reach out for her hand.

She quickly placed her hands in her lap as she sat across their old booth together. She finally met his gaze as she spoke. "I don't have much time, I have to get to school."

"I understand. Listen Evie." He began, a little nervously. "Evelyn, I wanted to apologize for the other night. I began drinking and instantly started to miss you. I missed just holding you and running my hands through your hair. But by the time I got the gull to come and see you I was already drunk and my mind had already been made up to see you. And when I seen how you were dressed and you said you had someone coming over, I don't know I just snapped."

"You put your hands on me Conner. You slapped me in the face and pushed me to the ground outside." Evelyn whispered angrily crossing her arms before looking away.

"I know, and that's why I wanted to apologize face to face. You know me, you know I wouldn't ever lay a hand on you. I didn't want to just send a text or a card, I wanted you to see how miserable I have been with the thought of what I've done."

"Why do you care? You didn't care to emotionally hurt me but it bothered you that you physically hurt me? That makes absolutely no sense."

"Evelyn I was angry. You weren't making sense just giving up everything for some kid. But all you've done for her, and what you've accomplished I'm really proud of you. I was an idiot for letting you go. I'm sorry."

"What do you want me to say Conner? You left me to be with Ramona. That to me told me that you were already seeing her or just was waiting for an opportunity to fuck her. I don't have time for this bull shit Conner. Sarah and I are doing just fine, I've moved on and I have friends again. You're not apart of my life anymore." Evelyn spat before getting up and walking out of the diner.

"Evelyn wait!" Conner called rushing after her.

"I don't have anything else to say Conner, really." He spun her around and pulled her into a kiss. "Conner!" She squealed slapping him across the face. "We are over! Get that through your head. You ended this, and I'm not going down that road again."

Evelyn walked angrily back to her car. She couldn't believe she even agreed to meet him, it was awkward and she never thought she'd ever feel like that around Conner. At that moment she knew they were over the depression and the sad thoughts were all washed away. She didn't need him anymore. He was just a memory and she could finally move on from him. Her anger changed into a smile she snapped a picture of herself and sent it to Jimmy's phone saying 'closure never felt so good.'

Conner was left completely in denial about what all just happened. He had for certain knew that he would win Evelyn back. He really did still have feelings for her. He wasn't going to give up that easily though. He wanted Evelyn back and that's just what he was going to get.

Once Evelyn got to school it seemed her first period class had a little surprise for her.

"Mrs. Bailey!" Martin greeted outside of her class room.

"Whats up?" She smiled.

"We're really going to miss you this summer!"

"I'm going to miss you too."

"Surprise!" The whole class erupted in cheer for their favorite teacher.

"You guys are nuts!"

"We could of waited until Wednesday but we figured we'd make Monday fun instead." Rachel explained.

"So you guys not expecting to work today?" She smirked with her arms crossed and eye brow raised.

"Well we figured you'd play something for us. You've never played a full song for us." Cameron begged.

"Ok now you've really lost your minds. I don't have a piano in here."

"Auditorium!" They class sang together.

"Alright, we have to make sure no one's using it this period though. And no cell phones."

They crept across the hall to the stage doors of the Auditorium, and it didn't appear that any classes were being taught in here at the moment. "Go sit down all of you's." She ordered waving them off the stage into the audience seats. "I don't even know what to play." She huffed playing off key notes on the piano.

"Just something." Rachel requested.

"Alright, I heard an acoustic version of Diary of Jane done so maybe I can do something with that."

"You have to sing it too." Alvin informed.

"Alvin I should fail you." She laughed.

Evelyn played with the notes for a bit before she got the beginning beat down and the rest flowed through her. Her students had never seen her play a full song on the piano before or heard her sing for that matter so they were really taken by surprise at how good she was. It was Cameron and Rachel who were recording her even though she instructed against the use of cell phones. Evelyn hadn't felt so free in such a long time. She poured her soul into this song, it was if she were reborn.

"Alright munchkins it's time to get back to the class room." Evelyn announced as she finished.

"Play another! That was amazing!" Martin requested.

"Oh no, come on you still belong to me for 3 more days we study music!" She smiled, laughing on the inside at their little disappointed faces.

---------------

"Gahhhh!" Jimmy cheered drastically falling on his couch.

"What's up with you?" Zacky laughed at his friends sudden antics.

"Evelyn sent me a picture of herself."

"What?" Brian shouted from the bathroom, running out to the living room still buttoning his jeans.

"Calm down flash. It was of her face."

"Well why didn't she send me a picture?" Brian frowned looking at Jimmy's phone.

"Because I am the fave-ert."

"I swear you're from some hick town in Alabama."

"She said 'closure never felt so good.' I'm guessing this means she set that ex of hers straight."

"Well good for her, that guy was a little off." Zacky added.

"A little? He was a boy with a douche bag hair cut and tattoos that didn't mean anything they looked like jail house tattoos to be honest." Brian grumbled. "She needs a built man, pristine tattoos, and hair that was manufactured by God's."

"Oh so she needs me?" Zacky teased.

"You don't qualify for that man part! You still sound like a 13 year old boy who hasn't gone through puberty yet."

"Looks like I better step up to the plate and become Prince Charming." Jimmy cleared his throat slicking his hair to the side.

Both Brian and Zacky stopped their insults to bust out in fits of laughter at Jimmy's statement. "And why is that so funny?" Jimmy looked down upon his two best friends, not at all amused by their laughter.

"James, get real. You've already planted yourself into the friend zone. I on the other hand have not." Brian grinned.

"Poppycock! I am the Stallion of the group here. Besides you really think a school teacher with a sick kid really has time for a relationship? I just enjoy the conversation!" Jimmy proudly explained.

"He might have you there." Zacky laughed, patting Brian's shoulder before exiting the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this was very short and lame! But I am going to work on this story! There's so much potential in this I just have to make the time to write to it. I had another kid so sue me! lol comments are always appreciated I love hearing from fellow A7X fans! :D