Status: Rating for language

Stolen

The Daughter and the Kiss

Carmen couldn’t believe his daughter was out here, covering her story. She was having her doubts but she really did look just like Braden. It was a shame they took away their belongings or she would know for sure. He talked about her a lot, though, and she knew what questions to ask.

“I’ll check her first,” Kevin said in the same dark voice. “If she has a recorder on her, I’m breaking it in half.”

Carmen didn’t bother to say anything. He would just get angry. Instead, she stared out the window. The coffee shop was mostly empty because no one knew they were going there. Once someone recognized her, though, that would end.

Jenna Engleton was sitting by the window and jumped to her feet when they walked in. She stared at Carmen with wide eyes. They weren’t the eyes of a reporter, though.

“I’m checking you over,” Kevin snapped. “You better not have recording equipment.”

Jenna, to Carmen’s surprise, let Kevin check her. She didn’t have anything in her pockets or purse. She also didn’t have any wires so Kevin nodded. Both men sat on either side of her and Jenna gripped her coffee.

“You know my daddy?” she whispered.

Carmen sighed. “Actually, he’s the reason I got out alive,” she said.

Jenna frowned. “Got out of where?”

Carmen hesitated. “Jenna, before we go any further, I need to ask you a few questions.”

Jenna glared. “Like what?”

“What happened to you when you were two?”

“What kind of question is that?”

“Answer it if you want to know about your dad,” Kevin said harshly and Carmen glared at him.

“I was on a toy bike,” she said. “I ran into my mom’s rosebush but Daddy took the blame.”

“What was his nickname for you?”

“Rosie,” she said, “since the accident.”

“And what were your mom’s last words to you?”

Jenna didn’t answer right away. She kept gulping and Carmen reached over to put a hand on her arm.

“She told me to stay strong,” she whispered. “She said that Daddy needed me.”

Carmen nodded. “All right. Jenna, your father was kidnapped,” she said and Jenna closed her eyes, tears spilling out of the corner of her eyes. People were starting to whisper so Carmen spoke quickly. “Your father had supernatural abilities and a group of people wanted to exploit them. He wanted me to get out because he said I reminded him of you.”

“What happened to him?” she whispered.

“He died.”

“But how?” she asked.

“You don’t want to know,” Carmen said.

“Yes I do!”

“No, trust me,” Carmen said. “It- It was brutal.”

“You mean he was murdered?”

“Tortured first,” she whispered. “Then murdered.”

Jenna stared at her for a brief second then erupted into sobs. People started to talk more and Carmen shifted. She wanted to go before too many people got there. Already cars were pulling in, including news vans.

“I have to go,” Carmen said but Jenna grabbed her arm.

“Wait, please! I have so many questions!”

“I do, too,” Carmen said. “But I have to go.”

Jenna looked ready to argue but they slipped out and into the Mustang before anyone could get to her. When they were down the road, Kevin leaned forward to talk to her.

“What do you think? Think she was telling the truth?”

“Yeah,” Carmen said. “Like I said, she looks like him and she answered the questions correctly.”

“I don’t like this,” Kevin said. “She could be some undercover chick. I mean, what are the chances of her being here? What if she’s part of these Agency guys?”

“She’s not,” Carmen said. “When I touched her, I saw things. I saw her with her dad and when she changed her name. I don’t know why, she wasn’t thinking about that.”

“So you can see into people’s minds?” Vincent asked with a frown.

“Only when there’s physical contact,” she said.

He nodded but no one spoke as they finished the trip to the house. Tara was waiting anxiously and let out a sigh of relief when they returned. She got Carmen some food while Carmen sat on the couch.

Kevin sat on her right and Tara on her left. She felt disappointed as Vincent sat on Kevin’s other side. She stared at her plate of leftover turkey with a frown. Why did she have such a strong pull to Vincent?

“So, we need to talk about Christmas,” Tara said.

“Why?” Kevin asked.

“Your mom called,” Tara began.

“No,” he said. “I’m not joining them and they’re not joining us.”

Tara sighed. “Just let them talk to her, okay? We’ll have them come here so she’s not in an uncomfortable environment. Then we’ll decide if she should be around them or not.”

“You mean she’ll decide,” Vincent said. “I understand your concern, Kevin, but it’s really up to Carmen.”

Kevin didn’t answer.

“I agree with Tara,” Carmen said. “Besides, I’d like to see them.”

“I don’t see why,” Kevin said. “They’re manipulative, cruel, and don’t deserve your time.”

Carmen didn’t know what to say so she just finished her food. They watched TV for a few hours before Tara had to go lie down. Kevin helped her, leaving it just her and Vincent. She glanced at him. He was flipping through the channels, looking tense.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“I’m fine,” he said.

“No you’re not. You’re tense as hell.”

“You would be, too,” he said.

“I don’t know what you mean.”

He muted the TV and fixed her with a stern gaze.

“Imagine finding out that someone you cared about was tortured nearly to death. Then you find out how close the ones responsible were and there’s nothing you can do now; that the police have all the info and have forbidden you to do anything. Wouldn’t you be tense?”

“You care about me?” she asked and he looked back at the TV.

“Of course I do,” he said.

“But I thought you hated me.”

He looked at her again. This time his gaze was different, though. He opened his mouth to respond but Kevin dropped onto the couch between them again.

“What’re we watching?” Kevin asked and Carmen sighed.

=

Carmen had gotten used to the doorbell constantly ringing and people always wanting to get her attention. She went out once more to go grocery shopping but that was a mistake. She had another panic attack in the WalMart from everyone there so Kevin left Vincent in charge of the groceries and rushed her home.

She noticed an increase in the time Kevin spent keeping Vincent from her. She was curious about why he would be so worried. So, one day while he was at work, Carmen went into Vincent’s room. He was working from home so that it wasn’t just Carmen and Tara. He was typing something into his computer but did a double take when she shut the door.

“What’s up?” he asked, looking back at the computer screen as she sat down on the bed.

“Can we talk for a second?” she asked.

“I’m kinda busy.”

“It’ll be quick,” she whispered.

He turned. “Are you all right?”

“Please?” she said and gestured to the bed.

He hesitated but sat down, keeping at least a foot of space between the two of them. She looked at him then held up her hand.

“What?”

“Just press your hand to mine.”

“Why?”

She looked into his eyes. “Because I don’t want you to lie to me.”

For the first time, he looked afraid. There were several tense moments before he finally relented. He put his palm against hers and she closed her eyes. She focused and saw a series of images flash through her mind. She saw the time they fought in the cafeteria; she saw her up on the stage with her diploma; she saw her picture in the newspapers. Then she saw him looking at his reflection through the computer screen. When she did, she felt something different than his confusion and worry.

She opened her eyes. He was frowning.

“Did you see everything I did?” he whispered.

She could only nod. They stared into each other’s eyes. She slowly laced their fingers and moved closer to him. Her eyes darted down to his lips, suddenly overcome with the urge to kiss him. Whether it was her or him, though, she wasn’t sure.

“Carmen, your brother would have a fit,” he breathed as she moved even closer.

“Only if he finds out,” she whispered.

He gulped audibly. “I don’t know about this.”

“It’s just one,” she said. “It’s not like we’re having sex or anything.”

His eyes flicked between hers before he pressed his lips to hers fully. She closed her eyes and wrapped her other arm around his neck. He put his around her waist and pulled her close. She gasped into his lips at the feeling it elicited. He licked her lower lip and she let him in. He let go of her hand so he could bury it in her hair and she sighed in content.

She pulled back a little and whispered his name.

“Shit,” he breathed and jumped to his feet. His eyes were wide. “Shit.”

“What-?”

Before she could finish, though, he fled from the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
More tomorrow