Status: Rating for language

Stolen

Home

Carmen kept running until she got to the street her parents used to live on. She had lost the press a long time ago but it wouldn’t take them long to figure out where she went.

It would take an even shorter amount of time for her brother and Vincent to figure it out.

They probably knew already and were on their way. She was sick of staying in the house, though, and hearing their fight just confirmed everything for her. If her presence was putting that much stress on them, then she didn’t want to be there.

She stopped outside her old house and smiled a little. It was the perfect house for a family living in the suburbs. It had a white picket fence, a tree in the front yard with a swing, and it was two stories. There was a porch and the exterior was painted white except for the two car garage which was grey. She opened the gate and looked at the flower hedges as she walked. They were trimmed perfectly just like when she was growing up.

For the first time, she was among the familiar and it made her feel calm.

Not as calm as you feel with Vincent, a voice said in her mind but she pushed that thought away.

She straightened the shirt she was wearing. Vincent’s clothes were the only ones that fit her. Kevin didn’t have any sweats so his were the only choice. Now, though, maybe she could get some clothes that she didn’t have to pull tight. After making sure her short hair wasn’t frizzed, she rang the doorbell.

She waited anxiously, hoping they still lived here. She heard footsteps and muffled laughter then the porchlight flicked on. Then she heard a small scream and the door flew open. Her mother opened her arms and Carmen ran into them, hugging her tightly. The door was shut and her father hugged her, too.

“Oh, my sweet Carmie,” her mother sniffled. “I’m so happy to see you!”

“Can I stay?” she whispered.

“Of course you can,” she said immediately. “Are you hungry?”

“Just tired.”

“Come on, let’s get you to your room.”

Carmen kept her arms around her mother, grasping the only thing that made her feel like she was among the familiar. That she was safe.

Except for Vincent.

They didn’t go to her old room. Instead, they went to her guest room. When she passed by her old room, she saw they had turned it into a sort of den. That made her feel a little upset but she pushed that away. She was with her parents now. They wouldn’t stifle her or make her feel like a burden.

The guest room looked like it always did and she took a deep breath when she walked in. A deep breath of the familiar. It stilled her heart and she put the bag down.

“Whose clothes are you wearing?” her dad asked.

“Vincent’s and only because his sweats have those drawstrings.”

“We’ll take you out shopping tomorrow,” her mom said. “You need proper clothes, not his clothes.”

“I agree,” her father said with a nod. “For now, get some rest little one. We’ll see you in the morning.”

She hugged them both, thanking them for letting her stay. At first she thought her mom would tuck her in but she just flipped the light off once Carmen was comfortable. Again, she felt a jolt in her heart but explained it away as they were tired. She had come late at night.

It’s only 8.

She groaned and shoved a pillow over her head, trying to mute her own thoughts as she drifted off to sleep.

=

When she woke up, it was early and she yawned. Her mom was moving around the room and smiled when she saw her awake.

“Good morning,” she said. “How are you feeling?”

“Good,” Carmen said. “That bed is comfy.”

Her mom smiled. “Look, about going out today. I just remembered I have a meeting up at the church. Here’s the credit card. Go get what you want and show me everything when you get back.”

“I can wait until you’re done,” Carmen said.

“Oh, you’re sweet but I don’t know how long the meeting will last.”

“But-.”

“You’re a big girl, sweetie,” she giggled. “You’ll be okay.”

“I just thought we could spend some time together,” Carmen mumbled and her mom caressed her cheek.

She welcomed the touch of her mother and leaned into it.

“And we will,” she said.

“Promise?”

“Promise,” she smiled and Carmen returned it.

She followed her mom outside. Her mom dropped her off at the mall before zooming off in a brand new Mercedes. Kevin and Vincent’s stories about their parents kept echoing in her mind. She had believed them too easily, though. Who’s to say they were right? Even if they had given up, she was back now. They could start over.

The mall was busy and she started to feel nervous. She kept her hood up. That wasn’t too suspicious; other people were doing it, too, because of the cold weather. Without Kevin, she didn’t stick out so much either. She slipped into Ross first and browsed their clothes.

She was surprised by the new styles. Things were more discreet when she left but even in winter the clothes were more revealing than she was used to. Due to how they kept them practically starved in the cells, she was too small for many of the clothes. She had to shop in the children’s section but didn’t mind.

After getting a few outfits from there, she went to a PayLess and got some more shoes. Her feet were healed all the way now and, though the moccasins were comfortable, they didn’t offer much in the way of support.

To her surprise, and pleasure, she managed to go through two more stores without being recognized. The mall wasn’t far from her house so she started walking back, thinking about her next step. She had to use her mom’s computer to type up that stupid report. Gaby had said that the FBI wanted a statement directly from Carmen, not through a third party. That was annoying but she had to get the word out there.

When she got home, she saw her mother’s car in the driveway. She frowned. Why didn’t she go by the mall to see if Carmen was done? Maybe she had but couldn’t find her. Yes, that must have been what it was.

She heard laughter again when she opened the door and froze. The house was filled with reporters.

“Ah, there she is!” her mother said and dragged her into the living room. Cameras started to go off as her father stood on her other side. “I told you she was here!”

Her mom pulled the hood down and Carmen winced at all the bright flashes. They were all talking at once and she shrank back, wishing Vincent was there.

No. All he does is lie and trick you.

“One at a time, one at a time,” her father said in an amused voice. “You’ll all get a chance.”

“Mom, Dad, why are they here?” she whispered. “I don’t want this.”

“They heard that you were coming,” her mom said cheerfully. “They want to see how we can be a happy family again!”

“Why didn’t you tell me, though? I’m not ready for this.”

“Oh, honey,” she said. “You’ll be fine! Now let’s show Oklahoma how wrong your awful brother was. We love you and we never gave up on you. Did we, Howie?”

“Not at all,” her father said, squeezing her.

“Do I have to talk to them, though?”

“Just smile,” her mom said with an encouraging one of her own. “Then we can go upstairs and look at all of your new outfits.”

Carmen managed one and looked at the reporters. She was stiff beside her parents and tried to loosen up. That was hard, though, and only got worse as the reporters kept taking pictures. How long would this last?

Suddenly, she doubled over, gasping.

“A little more power,” the cold voice said.

“No,” Carmen sobbed. “Please. No more. I can’t.”

“Shh,” Warden’s voice said in a soothing voice. “It’ll be over in just a minute.”

“Please,” she sobbed as she heard the hum of the equipment. “Please!”

The word ripped from her throat as her back arched. She screamed at the top of her lungs. The electrical current spreading through her body was making her see stars. She lost consciousness just as it stopped. When she was back in the room and awake, Braden smiled kindly at her.

“Don’t worry, Carmen,” he said. “We’re almost done. Just two more times and we’ll have it figured out.”

Carmen could only nod.


Then she was back in her parents’ living room, on all fours. People were shouting questions as she shook. Her body was dripping with sweat and her dad got down on his knees beside her.

“Carmen?” he asked. “Carmen, what happened?”

“I can’t do this, Daddy,” she whispered, tears streaming down her face. “Please get me out of here.”

“It’ll be over in just a minute,” her mom said, not bending down.

The words sent a shiver up and down her spine and she threw up right on the carpet. The room was filled with the sound of clicking cameras as her mother cried out in disgust. Exhaustion and fatigue from her attack pulled Carmen into darkness and she fell slack in her father’s arms.