Status: Rating for language

Stolen

The Newcomer

“I’m going to have to commandeer this from you,” Vincent said, pointing at the computer where Carmen was watching YouTube videos.

“I’m trying to catch up on the world,” she complained but moved anyway.

“And I need to catch up on work so I can make money and pay the bills,” he retorted. “Have you heard from Jenna?”

Carmen sighed and plopped onto his bed as he pulled up his email.

“She said the date was a disaster but she’ll be bringing some info over tonight once the press goes away.”

Vincent nodded. Jenna had called Carmen the day after giving her Vincent’s number. She had managed to charm the newcomer into asking her out on a date. She planned on using whatever skills she had to get information from him. Carmen wasn’t very enthusiastic but Vincent knew enough about journalism to know that a truly good journalist knows exactly how to get what they needed.

“I’m bored, Vince,” Carmen whined only ten minutes later.

He shook his head wearily. “Then go watch TV.”

“All they’re doing is talking about me.”

“So put in a movie. I have a lot of Blu-Rays.”

“What are those?”

“Oh,” he said, turning around. “I forgot. Come on, lazy bones.”

She followed him into the rest of the house. Tara was at the table, wrapping gifts. Carmen tried to peek but Tara shooed her away. Vincent dug around through his collection until he found one that Carmen would enjoy.

“You know it started out with VHS then went to DVD?” he asked.

“Yeah.”

“Well, now it’s Blu-Ray.”

He put the disk in and went to make some popcorn while the disk loaded. He heard her happy gasp and smiled to himself. When he came back out, she was staring at the remote.

“Where’s the damn play button?” she asked impatiently as the Labyrinth menu played.

He laughed and pressed it. He passed her the popcorn.

“Have fun.”

“Thanks,” she said, taking his hand before he could leave.

He smiled, their eyes locking. Her smile was shy and he wanted to kiss her but Tara was watching them with a huge smirk on her face. He squeezed her hand then went back to his room.

Most of his emails were his clients wishing him a Merry Christmas and some were notifications that he had a payment made into his account. He pulled up the spreadsheet he had made for making those notes and put them in. While he worked, he could hear Carmen singing along to the movie. It had been her favorite growing up and he was glad she still remembered the lyrics.

“WHAT!?”

Vincent jumped. He had been caught up in the current project that he had lost track of time. It was nearly five and he ran out into the house. Carmen was gaping at Tara with tears in her eyes.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, looking between the two of them.

“Why didn’t you tell me David Bowie was dead?” Carmen demanded and he grimaced.

“Ah. Yes. Well, he’s not the only one,” he said, rocking on his feet.

“Stop working and fill me in,” Carmen said, pointing at the couch.

Tara shrugged when he looked to her for support and he sighed. He sat down.

“This year sucks,” Carmen pouted when he was done.

“I wouldn’t say the whole year does,” he whispered and held her hand.

She smiled shyly again and moved over so that she could put her head on his shoulder. The TV was off and he heard Tara go into the room she shared with Kevin. Vincent put his arm around Carmen and she snuggled up, putting her arms around her legs as she pressed them to his side.

“I feel so safe,” she whispered.

He grinned. “Good,” he whispered back, putting his head on hers. “Because I don’t plan on letting you go anywhere again.”

She giggled. “What if I run away?”

He took her chin and made her look at him.

“Then I’ll chase you down,” he breathed and kissed her.

“Oh, come on,” Kevin groaned, walking in the front door and they broke apart. He was holding a bag of Taco Bell and some drinks. “Can’t you do it where I won’t see you?”

They both laughed and he tossed them some burritos and tacos.

Carmen started to get fidgety and Vincent knew why. She kept looking out the window then at the clock. Eventually, she put her food down and started to pace.

“You don’t need to be so nervous,” Tara said.

She had multiple taco and burrito wrappers around her and was already going into another one.

“These people are dangerous, Tara,” Carmen said. “If Jenna hasn’t been careful then-.”

Someone knocked and she jumped. The small screen Kevin was holding confirmed it was Jenna so he ran to open it. She slipped in, looking bitter about something.

“I can’t believe I went on a date with that sexist asshole,” she said, sitting in the armchair. “I swear, he’s the worst.”

“What’s his name?” Carmen asked.

“Paul Haven,” she said. “He’s 33 and claims he works as a construction worker.”

“What’s his cover for being here?” Kevin asked.

“That he is studying architecture on some of your older buildings.”

Carmen was tapping her chin. “The name sounds….” She gasped and they all looked at her with bated breath. “Oh shit. This is bad.”

She jumped to her feet and looked around desperately. Vincent recognized the early signs of one of her anxiety attack so he grabbed her arms.

“Deep breath, Carmen,” he said as she started to hyperventilate. “Look at me, Carmen. You need to breathe.”

Her eyes were wild and she broke into sobs. She thrashed in his hands so he pulled her to his body. She beat on his chest and back, screaming incoherently. Tara was crying and Jenna looked horrified. Kevin went behind Carmen and hugged her from the back. She screamed at the top of her lungs before her body went limp.

They waited until she inhaled sharply and her head snapped up, colliding with Vincent’s chin. They both grunted in pain and she apologized, her eyes drooping.

“It’s okay,” he promised and helped her sit back down. “What did you remember?”

She didn’t answer right away. Tara put some water in her hands and she took a few sips. She was shaking so Kevin put a blanket around her shoulders. She leaned into Vincent who automatically held her. Jenna opened her mouth to speak but Vincent shook his head, silencing her. Carmen would tell them when she was ready.

She’d have to.

“Who is he, Carmen?” Kevin whispered when she had calmed more.

She sniffled. “Remember the Warden?”

They nodded.

“Barbara,” Vincent said.

“Right. I got so used to calling her Warden that….” She trailed off then shook her head a little. She cleared her throat then yawned. “Anyway, Paul Haven was her right hand man. We think they were married. They certainly acted like it. Whenever anyone saw them together, they were hanging off of each other.”

“I thought Braden was the only one you saw while there,” Vincent said.

“The only one I saw for an extended period of time,” she corrected. “They would do group torture. And when the men would rape me, I took advantage of it. I figured, if they’re going to take advantage of me then I’d take advantage of them.”

She stopped and everyone waited.

“If he’s here, they know I am, too,” she sighed. “I’m not too shocked; not if Facebook is as public as you guys say it is. And then there are all the news reports…. They’re trying to take me back.”

“Then we’ll let the police know,” Kevin said right away. “We’ll call and have some officers sent here.”

“No,” Carmen said sadly. “That won’t help.”

“Why not?”

She looked at him, tears in her eyes.

“Paul Haven has abilities, too,” she whispered. Her tone was ominous and Kevin sat down slowly. “His are- His are teleportation.”

Vincent’s jaw clenched. “Are you saying that, at any minute, he can transport into here and take you!?”

“No,” she said. “Not exactly. He has to know exactly where I am.”

Tara went to the window and lowered the blinds.

“Can he do anything else?”

“I don’t know,” she said. “It’s possible. If the Warden always had him with her, then he’s important.”

“How were you able to get out if he’s so strong?”

“Well, it was actually really easy, all things considered.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm a horrible person! I'm so sorry for making you wait so long! I'll be finishing it up today. Just two more chapters left. :)