Status: Rating for language

Stolen

The Ending

Vincent was confused. He could hear noises all around him. There were sirens, voices, and Carmen screaming. When he managed to open his eyes, he was standing in the very hangar that Carmen had talked about. A woman stood in front of them, her eyes angry.

“You’ve caused a lot of trouble, 707A,” she snarled. She was pacing around them now, looking Vincent up and down. “I don’t know who this is but it’s clear he cares for you. Good. This way someone who loves you will see your death right after you help us.”

“I won’t help you,” she said, shaking like a leaf. “I didn’t then and I won’t now.”

“You don’t have a choice,” the woman snapped. “As soon as we get that chip back in your arm, you’ll be the submissive little girl again.”

Carmen whimpered and Vincent put her behind him.

“If you want to touch her, you’ll have to get through me first,” he snarled.

The woman rolled her eyes and lifted her arm. All the men around them lifted their rifles.

“That’s an easy thing to do,” she spat. “Paul’s on his way back now, 707A. He’s looking forward to seeing you again. Get them in a room,” she ordered and suddenly, Carmen was yanked from him.

“No!” he shouted but someone was already binding him.

He fought against them, throwing the person against the wall. Men were swearing, not realizing how strong he was. Carmen was screaming again, begging them to leave him alone. He kept fighting to get to her until five men managed to contain him. One of them had a bleeding nose and was glaring daggers at Vincent.

They were sent through a hall and Carmen sobbed as they stopped outside of an iron door with 707 on it. They opened the door and she screamed in horror. Vincent felt like he was going to vomit as they were forced into the room. The guard with the bloody nose kicked the back of his knees and he fell on them. The door slammed shut. Carmen scurried to a corner to avoid looking at the horrible sight.

An old man was strung up against a wall. His body was bloody and his head hanging at an odd angle. Vincent knew this was Braden.

“Carmen,” he breathed and crawled over to her on his knees. He wished he could hold her but he couldn’t. “Carmen, it’s going to be okay.”

She didn’t respond, though. She kept sobbing, now rocking back and forth. He sighed and looked around the room. It was sealed completely. There was only one exit and he knew he wouldn’t be able to get out through there. Not with his hands bound.

“Carmen, I need you to focus, baby,” he whispered. “I need you to untie me.”

“I can’t,” she whimpered. “I can’t, Vincent. I thought I was away. I’m back and I dragged you with me.”

“Carmen, don’t think like that. Please. I need you to do this. I can’t help if you don’t.”

“It’s pointless, Vincent. There’s no stopping it. They’ll just torture you and me. Just like before.”

Vincent’s heart was heavy. She had given up. He glanced over at the mutilated body on the wall. Then he looked at her binds. They had used a rough metal material that he recognized for strengthening gates. He shimmied on the floor until he managed to get his pocket knife out of his back pocket. When he heard it clatter, he moved quickly.

He flicked it open and hissed when it cut his palm.

“Don’t move, Carmen,” he said but she didn’t respond.

He felt around until he could get the blade between her flesh and the wire. He began to saw at it, thanking God for the man who had sold the knife to him. It took forever and he was worried they’d come for them before he was finished. Then he felt the satisfactory feel of release and Carmen gasped a little.

“Please, Carmen,” he said. “Please.”

Her hands shook as she took the knife and did the same thing he had. It took her longer and he kept his ears and eyes fixed on the door. Finally, she got through the wire and he rubbed his wrists. His hand was bleeding from where the blade cut him but he didn’t care. Carmen cut off some of her shirt and wrapped it around his hand. She wasn’t talking and pale.

“We’re going to get out of here,” he said. “But I need you to show me everything Braden did. Can you do that Carmen?”

She held her hand up and he quickly pressed his uninjured palm to hers. They shut their eyes and everything rushed through his mind. He saw the hallways. They really were like mazes. He saw guards frozen in time in her mind. He saw the Christmas tree and the only way out.

Ringing broke them out of it and he stared at her with wide eyes.

“Dumb fucking luck,” he gasped and got his phone out of his pocket. “Kev?” he whispered when he answered it. Kevin was saying something but the reception was too poor. “Kevin, I can’t hear you but listen to me. Call Gaby. Get as many of the police as you can. Follow the GPS on my phone. Quickly. Shit. They’re coming. Hurry, Kevin.”

He hung up just as the key turned in the lock. He jumped to his feet. As soon as the person walked in, he slammed the door shut and held the knife to his neck. The person swore.

“Fuckers,” he snapped. “I told them to search you before they brought you in here.”

“Who are you?” Vincent demanded.

“Why the fuck should I tell you?”

“Because if you don’t, I’ll slit your throat and just grab the next man who comes in,” Vincent hissed.

“You don’t have it in you,” the man sneered and Vincent pressed the blade closer until the man shouted. “Fuck, man! My name is Trent!”

“Do you recognize him?” he asked Carmen. She stood to her feet and stumbled over. She nodded. “Carmen, I know this is the last thing you want to do, but I need you to work with me, baby. I need you to talk to me.”

“He was one of the scientists,” she murmured.

Anger burned through him. “One of the ones that did all of that to you?”

“Yes.”

“I ought to kill you right now,” he hissed and Trent gulped audibly. “Instead, you’re going to help us get out of here.”

Trent scoffed. “Yeah, right. We’re so close to attacking that stupid town.”

“What are you going to do to Kendrick? Answer me!” he roared, putting more pressure on the knife.

Trent swore. “They’ve perfected a gas,” he said. “They’ve fused 707A’s powers into it.”

“Why do they need to put telepathic gas into the people of Kendrick?”

“That’s not the only thing she can do,” Trent said. “She can create barriers. If we can put this power in the people of Kendrick, we can also control them.”

“Why Kendrick?”

“Because it’s the closest place,” he said. “You’re not going to make it out of here with just a knife.”

“That’s why you’re going to torture the two of us,” he said. “Well, you’re going to say you are. You’ll take us to the hangar. Do it or I’ll kill you and wait for the next one.”

He let him go and Trent stumbled forward, putting his hand to his throat.

He glared daggers at him and Carmen hid behind Vincent. Trent went to the door and clenched his jaw. Vincent kept the blade stuck to the back of his neck. When the door was opened, two guards were waiting.

“What’s goin’ on?” the guard asked.

“Taking them to the hangar,” Trent said and they pretended to put their hands where they were bound. “I’m going to do the tests there.”

The guards looked at each other. “I dunno about that…. The Warden said that they’re to go to the-.”

“Are you questioning me?” Trent demanded, narrowing his eyes.

The guards shifted. “No, go ahead.”

Trent led the way to the hangar and Vincent thought they’d actually succeeded. The second the door shut, though, Trent shouted for help. The echoing shocked Vincent and he dropped his knife. He was about to pick it up when a dozen rifles aimed at him.

“Nice try,” the woman’s voice said from behind him. “A very nice try. I’m impressed. I did some reading up on you, Vincent Davenport.” She stood in front of him, her eyebrow arched. “You’re quite the man. I look forward to using you for- What was that?”

The ground shuddered. Carmen gripped Vincent as it shuddered again. She whimpered as something loud filled the air. More shuddering. Then there was a loud whistle and everyone was forced to their knees as the hangar exploded in flames.

=

Vincent was aware only of flames and Carmen’s death grip. His eyes opened to see men running around in FBI uniforms and his heart lifted. Someone lowered in front of them. They looked up to see Kevin and Carmen erupted into tears of joy. He held out his hand and Vincent pushed her into him.

“Wait!” she screamed, reaching for Vincent. “Wait, not yet! Don't leave him!”

But Kevin pulled once on the string and they were lifted into the air. He could hear Carmen screaming for him as Vincent stumbled to his feet. Around him was chaos. The Agency’s members were trying to escape but most of them were either gunned down or arrested. The woman was missing completely and he looked around for the exit. No one was paying him any attention.

“Who are you?” someone shouted over the noise and he focused on a person dressed in the same outfit as Trent. “Wait!” he said when Vincent made to attack. “Wait! Just- Who are you? Are you the man they brought with Carmen Jones?”

Vincent frowned. “You called her by her name….”

“You need to get somewhere safe. Oi! Johnny!”

Vincent’s jaw dropped as Johnny Carington ran over, also in an FBI uniform.

“Vince,” he said in relief. “Oh, thank the Lord. Come on. Carmen’s raising hell.”

Totally bemused, Vincent let Johnny drag him through the mass of bodies and into the cold air. He was pushed into a helicopter where Carmen was thrashing in someone’s arms, screaming his name.

“I’m here,” Vincent panted and she threw her arms around him. “Johnny? I thought you were-.”

“Not now,” he said and shut the door to the helicopter.

He made a motion to the pilot and Vincent looked out the window. The whole place was on fire. Men were trying to flee into the woods but they didn’t make it far. The helicopter rose high into the air and Carmen snuggled up to him. He welcomed her presence but he was confused. What was Johnny doing with the FBI? And who was the mysterious scientist who helped him?

=

They were in the air for about half an hour until they were brought to the new construction site that Vincent had been trying to get a job on. Kevin helped Carmen out until she clung to Vincent again. A man in a black suit beckoned for them to follow, not bothering to try and shout over the sound of the copter. They obeyed until they got to what looked like the entrance for a storm shelter.

When they went down into it, though, they were at the end of a hallway. It was dark but the man didn’t slow down so they followed as quickly as they could. He put in a code at a door and it hissed as it opened. Vincent’s jaw dropped. They were in what looked like a Hollywood movie set.

Agents were rushing all over the place. A large screen showed the burning property. There were fifty faces, some with ‘x’s and some with question marks. He recognized Trent’s face and the old woman who must have been the Warden.

“Get them something to drink,” the man said and opened the door to a conference room.

They all sat down. The drinks were brought to them and the man sighed.

“First, my name is Agent John Carington, Sr.,” he said. “I’m Johnny’s father. I run this section of the FBI. When Carmen went missing, they called us in. We had been almost certain that she was taken by The Agency; especially when Parker rose to the head of the hospital so quickly. So, we decided to buy this plot of land and build all of this. When Carmen came back, we decided to build an actual office building over it.”

“How’d you know it was The Agency?” Kevin asked.

“We’ve been hunting Barbara Civens for nearly thirty years now,” he said. “We couldn’t find her until you were taken, Vincent. Thank God you had your phone on you…. Anyway, what matters the most is that we’ll get them under our control. As soon as we get our hands on Civens, we can destroy them for good. It was all thanks to you, Carmen,” he added with a kind smile.

“So it’s over?” Vincent asked.

“No, it’s not,” Agent Carington said with a sigh. “I wish it was but it’s not. We still have to find her.”

“But what about us?” he asked. “What happens with us?”

“You go back home. All of our agents, including those with powers of their own, are going to protect you. You won’t have to worry about Paul Haven abducting you again. We shot him the second we realized what happened. And you’ll want to get home soon,” he added when his phone beeped. He chuckled. “It’s Christmas and it seems a little one is entering the world.”

It took a minute then Kevin jumped to his feet. “Wait. Tara’s giving birth!?”

He laughed. “It seems so. Tara just tried calling you.”

“You bugged us?” Kevin asked indignantly.

Agent Carington arched a brow. “Are you complaining?”

He opened his mouth then shut it again. Everyone looked to Carmen but she was fast asleep.

“I’ll take care of her,” Vincent said to Kevin. “You go to Tara.”

Kevin nearly tripped over his feet as he ran out. Vincent carried Carmen and nodded to Agent Carington.

“Thank you for your help,” he said.

“We couldn’t have done it without you and Carmen. Go get her cleaned up. We’ll be in touch.”

=

It took three days for them to round up everyone who was part of The Agency. The only one who they hadn’t found was Barbara Civens. And it was infuriating.

They had a bigger concern, though:

Carmen hadn’t woken from her sleep. After the second day, Vincent took her to the hospital. She was breathing, her vitals were normal, but she wouldn’t wake up. He tried everything.

“I don’t know what else we can do,” the doctor said. “I’m stumped. It’s not like a normal coma. There’s no trauma. Well, no physical trauma.”

“Do you think mental trauma could’ve done this?” Vincent whispered.

“It’s possible,” the doctor said. “I’ll run some more tests.”

Vincent sighed and sat down. He held Carmen’s hand and, the moment he did, the world went black.

“I’m okay.”

“Carmen?” he gasped, trying to look around. “Is that you?”

“I’m okay, Vincent. I promise.”

“I don’t understand. Where are you? Why can’t I see?”

“Tell them to stop doing tests. I will wake up. My mind is healing itself. It can’t if they keep testing me, though.”

“But-.”

“Just do it, Vincent.”

He was back in the hospital room and gasped, looking around wildly. It was the same as before. The only change was Carmen was now smiling. The doctor walked in with a machine but he stopped him.

“We don’t need it,” he said but the doctor frowned.

“We don’t know what-.”

“She’ll be okay,” Vincent said and kissed her hand. “Please, doctor, she’ll be okay. Just don’t do these tests anymore.”

The doctor didn’t look convinced. Then her eyes blinked open.

“Vince?” she whispered. “Are you there?”

“I’m right here,” he said, rushing to her side. “Thank God you’re awake. Don’t ever do that again!”

She laughed weakly. “It’s over, Vince.”

“What is?”

“She’s dead,” she said, her eyes closing again.

“Who is?”

“Civens,” she said. “I found her. I killed her.”

“How?” he breathed and she opened an eye.

“How do you think?”

“So that’s why you left us,” he whispered and she nodded. He chuckled and kissed her lips. “I’m so glad you’re okay.”

“For the most part,” she said with a yawn. “So. What happens now?”

He caressed her cheek. “You get better and marry me.”

“Get better,” she repeated. “You make that sound so- Wait. What?”

He grinned as her eyes snapped open. “I want you to marry me,” he said and kissed her.

“God!” she groaned. “It took you long enough to ask!”

Vincent and the doctor laughed just as the door opened and Tara walked in with a baby girl in her arms. Kevin followed after, complaining about Tara being out of bed already.

“Hey there,” Tara said. “I want you to meet Carmen.”

Carmen laughed as the baby was put in her lap.

“Here,” Kevin grunted and thrust a box at Vincent awkwardly. “Just do it.”

“Already did,” he said but winked and got the ring out.

“Does this mean we’re going to be normal again?” Carmen asked, grinning as Vincent put the ring on her finger.

“Of course not,” Vincent said and everyone laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed this! I'm thinking about a sequel but I'm not sure yet. In truth, I was going to break the ending up into two pieces but figured a nice long one would make up for my lack of updates.

Again, I hope you liked it and I hope you had a great New Year.

Love,
SweetlyBroken