Status: Rating for language

Stolen

Parents

“Hey, Carmen, it’s time to eat. Wake up.”

Carmen just groaned and covered her face with the blanket. She heard Vincent laugh as he pulled on the blanket.

“You need to eat. You’ve been out for twelve hours. Come on.”

She sighed and opened her eyes. “Fine.”

She sat up and he handed her a bowl of soup. He sat down at his computer and she tried to see what he was doing. She saw him on the map again so she wondered if he was making those marks again. She wasn’t stupid. She knew he had been looking for her, too. But why?

“Where’s Kevin?” she asked as she ate. “I thought he’d bring me dinner.”

“He’s with Tara. She’s having trouble sleeping.”

Carmen frowned at her bowl. She felt a pang of jealousy. So he was tending to his new wife instead of being in here with her? He claimed to have missed her but she was starting to see that was a lie. He gave up and moved on.

“I’m not hungry,” she mumbled. “Thanks anyway.”

Vincent swiveled in the chair, frowning. “What’s up?”

“Nothing. I’m just not hungry.”

“Liar. Tell me.”

“No.”

He arched a brow, crossing his arms. “What is it?”

“How would you feel if your sibling dropped you after you coming back for five years?” she asked. “How would you feel if you found out he gave up on you just like everyone else?”

Vincent’s face softened. “He didn’t give up on you, Carmen. He’s been looking for you all these years. We all have. It’s just that Tara’s pregnant now. She needs him.”

“We?” she repeated and he looked away. “You’ve been looking for me, too. Why?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why would you look for me? You hate me.”

“I don’t hate you, Carmen,” he whispered.

“Well, you used to.”

“No, I didn’t.”

She was about to say something but someone knocked frantically on the door. He opened it and glared at the other person.

“No,” he said and tried to shut the door.

“Carmie?” her mother cried. “Carmie, are you really in there.”

Carmen gasped and tried to get out of bed but her body protested.

“Mom?” she asked and the door was pushed so hard Vincent was thrown into the wall.

Her parents walked in and her mom pulled her into a tight hug.

“Ow, ow, ow,” she cried. “Mom, please be careful.”

“Sorry!” she said and sat down, taking her hands. “Oh, Carmen! It’s so- I can’t believe- Oh Carmen!”

She broke into sobs as her father came over, his eyes wide with disbelief. She sniffled and smiled.

“Hi, Daddy.”

“Carmen, is it really you?” he asked, reaching out to her.

“It’s really me.”

His face split into a grin and he kissed her forehead, stroking her hair.

“I can’t believe it,” he breathed. “You’re back. But how?”

Carmen looked down. “It’s a long story,” she mumbled.

“We have all day,” her mom said.

“No,” Vincent snapped.

“It’s not up to you,” her dad snapped back, glaring. “And she’ll be coming home with us, thank you.”

“Absolutely not,” Vincent said. “No, she’s staying here until she’s healthy enough to at least walk on her own.”

“You can’t keep us from our daughter!” her mom yelled and Carmen looked between all of them.

Before she was taken, Vincent and her parents were very close. Now they were yelling at each other and Vincent was trying to keep her from them. What happened?

“I don’t understand,” she said but she was interrupted by Kevin coming out of his room.

His eyes darkened when he saw their parents. He stared between the two of them.

“How’d you find out?” he asked in a low voice.

“Gaby Neely,” her mom said. “Why would you keep this from us, Kevin!? You know how much she means to us!”

“Does she?” he challenged, now looking as angry as Vincent. “Does she really?”

“Of course she does! Now tell Vincent that she’s coming home with us!”

“How about we leave that up to Carmen?” her father suggested. “After all, it’s her choice. What do you say, Carmie?”

“Wait,” Vincent said, stepping forward. “Carmen, there’re things you need to know before you-.”

“All she needs to know is that we love her,” her mom sniffed and kissed her forehead. “Let Mommy take care of you, not these two.”

Carmen looked between them all. Kevin was glaring at his parents and Vincent’s face was… pleading. They didn’t want her to go home with her parents? She looked at them. Her mom was crying and her father kept stroking her hair. They loved her, that much was obvious. But she felt a stronger link to Kevin than she did to them. It had always been like that….

“I agree with Vincent,” she mumbled and her mother recoiled, looking as if Carmen had slapped her. “It’s just until I get healthy again,” she said quickly. “I’ll come see you once I’m better.”

“If you’re injured, then why aren’t you in the hospital?” her father snapped.

“Use your brain,” Kevin snapped. “If we take her to the hospital, then everyone will know she’s back! Her life will turn into shit!”

“You don’t know that,” her mother challenged.

“Well, I know that Vincent did extensive medical training with his mom,” he retorted. “You know that, too.”

Their mother sniffed haughtily. “Fine,” she said and stood up. “But we will be back.”

Though Carmen wanted to believe she said it in respect for wanting to see Carmen again, it sounded more like a threat. Her dad kissed her head again before following his wife out the room and out of the house. Silence filled the room.

“I think I deserve some answers,” she said quietly.

Both men sighed. Kevin sat on the bed where their mother had just been while Vincent sat down in his chair. Neither spoke for a while before Kevin rubbed his neck.

“Mom and Dad searched for you when you disappeared,” he said. “We all did. But, when nothing showed up after six months, they were ready to say that you were dead. They gave up so soon…. I argued with them; telling them that I was sure you were still alive. They said I was giving in to my grief and to move on.”

“My mom agreed with them,” Vincent said and she looked at him. “The next week, the three of them went on a cruise to the Caribbean.” Carmen’s eyes filled with tears. “They came back talking about the great time they had and how much of a stress reliever it was. They said they weren’t worried anymore. They said if you were alive, then it would be a pleasant miracle. If you were dead, though, then that was the end of it.”

“You’re lying,” she whispered. “You both are.”

“I’d never lie to you,” Kevin said, holding her hand. “You know I wouldn’t.”

“That’s when my mom kicked me out,” Vincent said. “I yelled at her. I couldn’t believe she would go on a cruise with them like that. She claimed she was supporting her friends. I had my inheritance from my dad when he died and I found this place.”

“Mom and Dad threatened to disinherit me if I kept ‘being disrespectful’,” Kevin said. “I told them I’d rather live homeless than live with them. So, they kicked me out, too. I came to live with Vin before I married Tara.”

Carmen took her hands away and covered her face. She didn’t want to believe it. She couldn’t believe it. These were her parents! They were there for her from the day she was born! They gave her everything, swore they loved her. But to be ready to give up on her so quickly? The idea was repugnant. This couldn’t be true.

There's got to be a way she knows we're not lying to her.

A sob escaped her throat and she felt the mattress shift. Kevin wrapped his arms around her and she cried into his shoulder.