Status: Rating for language

Stolen

Ready

“You can take her,” Vincent said quickly but Kevin shook his head, a resigned look on his face.

“If that’s where she’s most comfortable, that’s where I want her to be.”

He got up and left, though. Vincent sighed, feeling guilty.

“Don’t,” Tara said, closing the bottle of anxiety medication she had. “It’s not you.”

“This is his twin, Tara, and she’s choosing me to seek comfort from….”

“You said it yourself,” she pointed out. “You were the one to be there when she found safety. It’s natural. She’ll get back to normal eventually. Until then, he’ll just be a little hurt. I’ll take care of him, though.”

Vincent nodded but he still felt bad. He knew how much Carmen meant to Kevin. He also knew how he yearned to pick up where they left off. Vincent knew enough, though, to know that was impossible. At least for now.

She shifted in her sleep and he put his arm around her again. Tara went to their room to talk to Kevin and he looked at the tree. It was beautiful, even if it didn’t have many ornaments on it. He found it hard to imagine a bunch of murderers decorating a tree and celebrating Christmas. He also couldn’t imagine being the one to see it. Hell, he couldn’t imagine any of this happening.

Carmen moved in her sleep and he could tell she was trying to get comfortable. So, he picked her up and carried her into his room. His screensaver was on the picture of her and Kevin posing after the track meet. He sighed. Kevin told him that she had seen it. He also reminded Vincent not to start anything.

As Carmen snuggled under the blankets, Vincent doubted Kevin knew how hard it was to stop himself from doing so.

=

Knocking woke him and he stretched. He looked through the peephole then checked the time. He sighed heavily.

It was a reporter complete with camera.

He straightened his shirt and cleared his throat. He waved Kevin back around the corner and opened the door.

“Can I help you?” he asked in a monotone voice.

“Hi,” the reporter, a woman he didn’t recognize, said. “How are you this fine winter morning?”

“Tired,” he said. “Can I help you?”

“Yes, actually. My name is Cindy and I’m a reporter for KRXY.”

Vincent frowned. “KRXY?” he repeated. “But that’s all the way in-.”

“We heard about the girl,” she interrupted, her eyes shining with hunger for the rumor. “The one that went missing five years ago? They’re saying she’s here and being held against her will.”

Vincent stopped himself from snapping.

“You’re a reporter,” he said. “You know how rumors are.”

She giggled but shot him a well disguised glare.

“Oh, come on. This is a small town. Rumors are rarely just rumors.”

“You’re from the city,” he retorted.

She flipped her hair. “So are you denying she’s here? I mean, that wouldn’t be very ethical, would it?”

“I’m neither confirming nor denying anything. I’m simply telling you that rumors can be unreliable.”

“So? Is she here?”

“Why do you care? Are you too low on making your reporter’s quota?”

She glanced at the cameraman and made a cutting motion with her hand.

“Look, off the record,” she said, dropping her peppy attitude. Now she looked tired. “I drove 90 fucking miles to get this story and I’m not leaving without something.”

“It’s not my fault you’re a tragedy chaser. Go home.”

“Just give me something,” she begged and he sighed.

“Fine: Her parents are horrible. They gave up on her just after six months and took the money from the PD and went on a cruise.”

Her jaw dropped. “You’re kidding.”

“I wish I was. Can I go back to sleep now?”

She passed him a business card. “Call me if you remember anything else.”

Their eyes met and she winked. He tried to not roll his eyes. Instead, he shut the door. He looked at the card, frowning slightly.

Cindy Harper
KRXY Reporter and Newscaster


Under that was her number and email. Kevin walked back around the corner and Vincent passed it to him. He sighed.

“Yeah, we’re done,” he said.

=

For a week, reporters were coming to his door. Vincent was getting tired of saying they had to get off his property or he’d call the cops. He didn’t know if he could do that, but it usually worked in getting people off his porch. Kevin kept Carmen sequestered in the room but soon that wouldn’t work, either.

Finally, Carmen put her foot down – so to speak.

“I’m going,” Carmen said. “I’m healthy now.”

“If you go out there, you’ll be attacked,” Kevin argued.

“So go with me.”

“I can’t,” he said. “I have to work, too, or we won’t have the money to pay rent.”

“Then have Vincent go with me. I’m sick of this Kevin! I escaped for this reason! Braden’s death will be given the justice it deserves!”

Kevin sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“I don’t like this.”

“You can’t keep me in here forever. Don’t make me sneak out.”

Kevin shook his head wearily. “All right. Tomorrow morning, before someone shows up, take her to the station, Vince.”

“I will,” he said and he went to his room, shutting the door with a little more force than necessary. “He’ll get over it,” Vincent added when he saw Carmen’s face. “Just give him some time.”

She glared. “That’s what you and Tara keep saying. He wasn’t the one kidnapped and tortured, though.”

Vincent felt the familiar pity. “You’ve been talking in your sleep again,” he said. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not yet,” she mumbled. “I know everyone’s thinking I should be ready but it’s different than talking about their plans, you know?”

“No need to explain,” he said and looked at the time. “Well, you should get some sleep. We’ll leave at five. Gaby’s always in the office by five, too.”

“How’d you know?”

“I’ve done a lot of work there.”

“You have yet to tell me what you do.”

He ushered her to his room. “Some other time.”

When his alarm woke him at 4:30, Carmen was still snoring. He woke her up and she grumbled about it being too early. He wanted to point out that it was her idea but knew she was grumpy in the mornings. Instead, he grabbed some clothes and changed in his bathroom. Carmen walked out in the pair of moccasins that Tara had bought for her. They were sturdy but easy on her feet.

“Ready?” he asked and she ran a hand through her hair.

It was getting longer. Kevin’s hair always grew quickly so he wasn’t surprised. Tara had evened it out; especially where the men had shaved her head to attach the nodes to her temples. Now it went to the top of her neck and looked more natural.

“Not really,” she said. “But I need to do this.”

“I’m surprised,” he said honestly as they got into his car.

“Why?”

“I didn’t expect you to be so vocal when you got back.”

She looked out the window. “I’m not very vocal, Vincent,” she whispered. “Unless you count the nightmares.”

He sighed and put a hand on hers briefly. She froze under his touch, though, so he put his hand back on the wheel. He had noticed her staring at him and knew she was probably picking up on his feelings for her. But Kevin had made it clear that he didn’t want them together yet. And the last time he reminded Vincent he had delivered a threat, too, so he just kept himself at a safe distance.

When they got to the station, Carmen hesitated again.

“We could always have her come to you,” he said as she fiddled with her seatbelt. “She’s offered.”

She shook her head. “It’ll make it easier to find you guys. I don’t want that.”

“You really think Kendrick’s in danger?”

“I don’t think. I know,” she said and he nodded.

“Well, let’s go then.”

He got out and looked around discreetly. It was too early for people to be out and about but the press was getting creative. They walked in and he asked for Gaby. Carmen pulled her hood up as people stared. He had given her his old high school hoodie. She was swimming in it but it did the job in hiding her face.

Gaby was shocked.

“You’re sure?” she asked when Carmen told her she was ready to talk about it.

“Yes,” she whispered.

“Then come in,” Gaby said and opened the door for the two of them.