Heart to Get

november 16, 2016

Today I saw a boy at the mall. He looked like he came straight out of an 80’s film. He checked all the boxes for 80’s male love interest. He was dreamy, he was charming, and he had a smile to die for. By appearance, he resembled a young Christian Slater — specifically, Christian as JD in Heathers. He had one silver hoop in his right ear, dark swept hair, and porcelain skin. His blush colored lips formed into a smirk every so often. Those bold eyebrows of his would arch as he spoke vulgarities over the phone.

I didn’t want to name him JD, Jason, or even Christian. They seemed too predictable. And this man, who was sneakily playing with his maroon lighter, was not even close to the definition of predictable. I decided to go with Trevor. It was a name that reminded me of bad boys with cool jackets. I felt that it suited him.

As I watched as he put his lighter in the pockets of his slaggy flannel, I took in his appearance. Trevor dressed like this year’s version of JD. Underneath his grey flannel, he wore a slightly torn white tank top. It was exposing his pale and freckled chest. I could spot the dog tag necklace that rested against his skin. He had on dark jeans and black combat boots.

Throughout my evening at the mall, I kept seeing him nearly everywhere I went. He was spotted at the Hot Topic, indulged in the piercings and band tees sections. I saw him again at FYE, exploring the CD and vinyl section. I imagined him to love bands such as The Misfits, Dead Kennedys, and Sex Pistols. I could see him appreciating some punk rock music as well, especially a band like GG Allin and the Murder Junkies.

Later on, as I was walking into Journey’s, I spotted him trying out Doc Martens. I noticed the combat boots he wore earlier were in the trash. He pulled out the crumpled dollar bills onto the counter. To my bewilderment, he proceeded to runway walk around the store like no one was watching. Trevor would pose, earning laughter from myself and the cashier. He was unreal as he smiled at us, as we locked eyes and his hazel ones were staring right back into mine.

Trevor seemed to be the kind of guy who didn’t give a fuck about what the world thought about him. Trevor was the boy who lights up cancer sticks inside or in front of churches but also uses flowers to bookmark his favorite books. He was someone I enjoyed temporarily falling in love with but also enjoyed watching and admiring as he was not afraid to show his true spirit.

Our love is God, let's go get a slushie, Trevor.