This Isn't an Annie Movie

3

Sitting in the diner later that day, Ivy stared at the blank piece of paper in front of her and tried to come up with a story for her drama assignment. Nothing that she had thought of so far had really sparked her interest and she was beginning to get frustrated, but she refused to give up.

"What are you overthinking?" Jay asked from beside her, "Perhaps I can help you un-overthink it."

"That's not even a proper word," Ivy replied with a chuckle, handing over the sheet of paper that explained exactly what she had to do and watching as Jay read it over.

"Why not put a dance together that tells your story?" He suggested.

"We could help you choreograph it," Tammy added.

"Really?" Ivy inquired, "You'd really help me?"

"Of course," Jay said, frowning a little at Ivy's reaction to a simple offer of help, "By the time we're finished, you'll have a routine worthy of a top grade... do you want something to eat?"

"It's fine, I don't have any money."

"It's my treat," Jay insisted, handing her a menu and motioning to it with his head.

"Could I have a chocolate fudge sundae?"

"Only if you have a burger or something first," Jay replied.

She had just finished eating, when she caught sight of the time and started hastily packing her things into her backpack. Thanking Jay for the food, Ivy hugged Tammy and left. Arriving home five minutes before her curfew, Ivy put away her stuff and got to work setting the table ready for dinner.

Pushing her food around her plate, she forced a few mouthfuls down her throat and grimaced as she instantly vomited in her mouth.

"Something wrong with the food on your plate?" The low, threatening voice of her foster dad, George asked as Ivy reluctantly swallowed.

"No sir," Ivy mumbled, keeping her eyes on the table and tensing as a chair was violently shoved back.

"I can't hear you child, speak up," George demanded.

"There's nothing wrong with the food, sir," Ivy replied, making sure that she was heard and flinching as a large hand landed on the table beside her.

"Well then, I suggest you eat."

Putting a fork full of food in her mouth, Ivy made a point of chewing and swallowed it. Eating the rest as fast as she could, she did the washing up and headed to bed feeling sick. The next few days were spent in bed ill and Ivy was happy when the bug finally passed, allowing her to go over to the warehouse to work on her drama homework.

"Ivy," Tammy shouted as she walked in the room, "We were beginning to wonder where you were."

"Sorry," Ivy stated, grimacing as Tammy hugged her tight, "I wasn't well."

"You okay now?" Jay inquired as he also pulled her into a hug.

"Yeah... much better, thank you."