Madame President

one.

"What's the status on the Zika Priority Bill?" the President asked, her maroon heels clicking on the tile floor of the west wing.

"Congressman Paulner is threatening to lead a filibuster," her chief of staff moaned, holding a stack of manila folders to her chest. "If so we could potentially lose the senate by eleven votes."

"Fucking Paulner," Angela uttered, wracking a hand through her pin straight, ebony hair. "The press is going to crucify us if this bill doesn't pass. The outbreak in Louisiana is the only thing any news network will report. Get the Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy on the phone ASAP and tell Dr. Jones that if he doesn't release a press statement in the next thirty minutes we're as good as fucking gone." Her stride quickened, the sound of heels and boots becoming louder in the narrow hallway.

"I'm on it," Paula said confidentially, already having pulled out her phone. The interns of the White House glued their backs to the wall, terrified to even brush shoulders with the POTUS and her staff.

"Once you've relayed the message, give Joseph in Communications a briefing on what the hell is going on. Might as well give a quick call to the Secretary of Health as well. Once your done meet my in my office," Angela turned the corner, the Secret Service following close behind.

"Got it," Paula's voice echoed from afar. Angela sighed her frustration as she finally made it into the Oval Office, sitting down.

"I swear, getting through to Paulner and his little cronies is like talking to a brick wall," she exclaimed, slamming her fist onto her desk. She was talking to herself at this point but she couldn't help but talk out loud in frustration. This week had been an ongoing battle and she was at her wits end. First, the House shooting down the Clean Energy Initiative proposed by the Vice President. Now this, she felt like she couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm sorry," she smiled, "Can I get a bit of alone time?" She motioned her secret servicemen to the thick doors at the end of her office. They nodded at once, and strutted out of the office, leaving her finally at peace. Sure, they were right outside the door but it was the closest she could get to being completely isolated.

The cell phone inside her pantsuit jacket rang and she jumped in fright, interrupting the silence of the room. She looked down to see it read 'Doug', and smiled.

"Hello?" she answered. Her fingers tapped along the mahogany wood of her desk.

"I'm sorry," the voice on the other end sighed. "I heard about Paulner."

"Where did you hear it first?" she laughed, "The House or CNN?"

"Deputy Director Lenora actually gave me a phone call and briefed me on the situation hoping she could get to me before you did.

"Damn Lenora, always looking out for me," Angela smiled, her eyes tearing up. "I really tried, Doug, I really fucking did."

"I know.... I know," he quietly said.

"Without the senate's support on this bill we're going to lose Louisiana and we've already lost Florida. I try..." a tear ran from her face, leaving a streak of mascara. "I try so fucking hard. Shattering the glass ceiling seemed nearly impossible but I think this is one I can't break."

"Look, you did the best you could. And I'm sorry the American people can't see that. But I will never be able to express how proud I am of you. Children will open up U.S. history text books in the future and read your name as not only our first female president, but our first Asian-American president as well. You will inspire little girls around the world... I mean you already have for fuck's sake!"

She finally allowed the tears to come lose, microscopic puddles forming on her desk. She didn't expect it to hurt this much but the weight of the situation had hit her like a train.

"I have a meeting with my staff in a few minutes, I'll see you tonight when I get home okay? Love you Angie." She smiled through the tears, loving to hear the name. He was the only one who called her 'Angie'.

"I love you too," she sighed, clicking off her phone and standing up. She paced back and forth through out the office, trying to think of something, anything she could do.

"Maybe if I tell Congressman Brewer that I'll endorse his re-election...," she whispered to herself. She stopped and kicked off her heels in frustration. "Might as well just commit political suicide while I'm at it," she cried. She perched herself at the edge of her desk and took out her phone once more. It rang four times before it answered.

"Hello?" the voice muttered.

"Dad," she whimpered. "I think I've lost it all." Tears poured down her face as she tried to regulate her breathing. "I....I really thought I had it. I'm so sorry."

"Baby girl." His voice was quiet but calming. He was nearly eighty-six now but didn't look a day past sixty. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," she smiled.

"Don't lose hope sunshine, you have six weeks till Election Day. I believe in you. I believe in you so, so much."

"Thanks Dad." A knocked sounded at the door, before going quiet. "Oh, I'm so sorry I have to go. I'll call you when I get the chance okay. Love you."

The faint words of "I love you too" muttered on the other line.

Angela turned her back, away from the door, quickly trying to wipe away tears on her face. She heard the door open and quickly close.

"It's me," the voice said quietly, standing in the center of the Oval Office. Angela didn't turn, still too ashamed to show her face. She hated crying, she always saw it as a sign of weakness but she couldn't help herself now.

She felt a hand placed on her shoulder and she sighed in relief, leaning into the touch.

"I really fucking thought we had it," Angela whispered.

"You still have me, you'll always have me, Ang." She finally turned around and stood up off her desk, wrapping her arms around the warm figure's shoulders in the room.

"I don't know what I'd do with out you," she muttered, sliding her hands from their shoulders, embracing their face. She leaned in, allowing her lips to just barely touch before letting the control and facade she tried so hard to keep up fade away. She crashed down onto their lips, pulling their body close. The room was silent with passion, each other's hands grabbing for each other as if they would never touch again. They both finally released, taking the slightest step back to catch their breath.

"Chief of staff and my heart," Angela giggled, as Paula took her thumb and wiped away at the tears and smudged makeup.

"I'll never get tired of your cheesy jokes," Paula smiled. "As much as I'd like to be in your arms all day long, we unfortunately have a meeting with the National Security Council in twenty five minutes."

"Who said we can't hold hands at the least?" Angela laughed, holding her Chief of Staff's hand in her's.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is what happens when you marathon nearly three seasons of Veep in a row hahahahaha. I actually enjoyed writing this waaaaaay more than I thought. Sorry if the pronouns and such at the end got a bit wonky seeing as I wanted it to kind of be a surprise of whom her lover was. This definitely could stand alone as a one-shot drabble of sorts but if anyone's interested, I actually have a lot more in store. Let me know what you think. Enjoy.