Status: Work got busy but I will be trying to add more chapters soon.

They Are Watching

Eyes

They watch me, watch my reaction as I read and reread the word upon the window. This time I don't care that they watch me, I'm so very confused. Was this a warning or a threat?

"Danger," I taste the word upon my lips, try it on for size. I'd never truly been in danger before, not since before they came. At least, not that I was aware of. I'd fallen off my bike a few times, once it sent me to the hospital, leaving a scar on my knee, but didn't every kid have something like that happen to them at least once?

Looking past the word, I spot three shadows this time, beneath the oak tree outside. Where they always stood. I lift a hand to the window and trace the word. As if in response to me doing that, they inch closer, their shadows moving in a way that didn't seem human. I dart back from the window, accidentally bang my knee against my dresser.

I don't cry out, I don't want to wake my parents, but a whimper escapes me as pain throbs up and down my leg. I hadn't been careful, I let them see me helpless. I let them see me confused!

Diary, I'm not sure why I reacted the way I did. I'm not sure why I let them get to me. I made them move closer, I made them realize that I noticed them. They were out there now, closer than the oak tree. I don't dare to peek out the window again.

The rest of the night I sit in bed, knees against my chest, audio book loud in my ears as I try to block out my thoughts. I don't cry, I can't cry. If they see me cry, would they win? If I cry, then everything will collapse upon me, crush me. I want this thing that's happening to me to be real, because I'm so scared of what would happen to me if it wasn't.

But... Why was it happening to me? Had I done something wrong?

At some point in the night or early morning, I fall asleep, head resting on my knees. Its not until I next wake that I notice my open window and ajar room door.