Pink Skies

Pink Skies

It's the night of the summer solstice and the air is warm. The sky is a shade of pink, clouds looking as if they had been painted with the stroke of a paintbrush. The city has dulled to a purring buzz, everyone winding down from the hustle and bustle. The sun is finally setting on the longest day of the year but the night is young.

Luna smiles and looks down at her feet, wiggling her toes inside her black ballerina flats. Oh how she's missed this feeling, it's been far too long. She feels an electrifying feeling tickle her spine, the feeling of being alive. She is alive and whole and glowing.

She strolls down a street in the East Village, the sun perched behind brick stone buildings. Every so often it peaks through alleyways and empty lots, caressing her face and legs. It's warmth feels like love and she smiles.

Her raven noir hair flutters in the wind, sleek as night. Although pin straight, it cradles her face. The hem of her black dress trails behind her as she weaves around others on the sidewalk. There's a couple, holding hands and chatting away. There's a group of friends, giggling as they stride. A woman looks down at her phone and smiles. When Luna passes, everyone feels a rousing pulse, unsure why.

She stops at a large storefront window, reaching into her purse. She pulls out her lipstick, dark burgundy and worn with use. She admires her reflection, the angles of face are both sharp and soft at the same time. Her cheekbones look as if they could go on forever but curve gently around her temples. She pops open the lipstick container and paints its color on her lips. She watches the sun make it's final plunge through the mirror like window, the sky going from pink to orange to grey.

Once it finally disappears, she feels a small tap on her shoulder, another refection joining her's.

"Hello," she smiles, placing her hand on Luna's shoulder. "It's been a while." Her reflection is just as mesmerizing as her partner's, a halo like aura hugging every curve. Her hair is just as dark as Luna's but woven into beautiful braids, each placed as if they danced around one another. Her skin is dark as well, a warm russet brown reflective of herself. Her eyes are golden, amber flecks that rivaled the stars.

"Soleil," she says, her voice barely above a whisper. Luna spins around and raise her hand, barely just grazing Soleil's face, feeling it's warm. But this time like herself, it is real and alive and she is glowing.

"I hope you've got your dancing shoes on," she winks, letting out a laugh as her eyes gaze down at her footwear. She's wearing heels so tall they ascend towards the gods. They're golden and shine much like her smile. Their straps hug around her ankles, tying upwards toward her knee.

Soleil grabs her hand, and pulls her into the night.

They arrive in front of a tall, tawny colored brick building. A rainbow colored flag flies outside, it's prism of colors shining bright in the dark. The hum of the bass can be felt from outside as they hop on line, hand in hand. Two boys behind them look at each other gazingly, entranced.

"Gosh, I haven't been out in so long," Luna exhales. Her cheeks are rosy in comparison to the cool tone of her skin.

"Well it's been," Soleil pauses to silently count upon her fingers, "ninety two days? ninety three? since the last solstice. But, I have to say,
Stonewall plays much better music then the Queen's ball in 1806," she chuckles, pulling Luna close behind her, hand in hand, as they enter
the bar.

"I do miss your gown though," Luna smiles, pulling Soliel back and stopping her in her tracks. She leans upwards on the very tip of her toes and places a gentle kiss on her cheek. "Yellow was always your color."

They continue over to the bar where they perch themselves upon two seats in the corner. A pop song plays in the background. Others play pool with new found friends. A feeling of happiness is washed over the room.

"I'll take a gin and tonic, the lady here," Soleil pointing to her side, "will have an old fashioned." She slides over a few bills and turns to her lover.

"Cheers," they smile, clinking glasses and take their first sip. Luna admires the feeling of the cold glass in hand, sending shockwaves through her fingertips.

Soleil pushes a piece of hair behind Luna's ear, allowing her fingers linger as she stares at her face. Each time they meet, it seems as if she's become more beautiful if somehow possible.

"Would you like to dance?" Her voice is like waves crashing onto the shore, commanding yet calming.

"I thought you'd never ask," Luna smiles, taking her hand. They hold each other close as they make it up the staircase, stepping onto the dance floor. Couples all around are holding onto each other, hands on shoulders and hips and faces, as if they may never touch again. A different pop song plays,
one that gets everyone on the floor energized. Soleil pulls her partner into the center of the room, shaking her hips. Her hair flies in all different
directions and her mouth is in a permanent laugh.

Song after song, they dance away the night, they too holding on to each other as if they may never touch again. They dance as if they were a
symphony, curving around each other's bodies at ease.

The bartender yells, "Last call!" into the room but they don't notice, wrapped up in each other. They dance until the very last song fades out, the murmurs of those around them and the sound of glasses clanking filling the room.

Hand in hand, they continue down the staircase and through the crowds and out the door. Outside it's raining just barely, raindrops hitting their
faces ever so delicately.

"Hungry?" Soleil asks, rubbing her stomach for added effect. Luna nods and they continue down the sidewalk, shoulders brushing. They tilt their heads upwards, soaking in the mesmerizing feeling of rain on their faces. It's soothing and oh so real.

They walk inside a diner and are seated in a booth facing the window. Its filled with many of the dance-goers they saw prior. Two boys in the booth behind them laughing about the night's event. Two partners next to them smile over french fries.

"Let me guess... pancakes?" Luna asks, closing her menu.

"It's like you've known me forever," Soleil smiles. "Extra syrup of course. And a side of hashbrowns."

"Make that two," she points her fingers as if forming a peace sign, the waiter scribbles away in his writing pad. He nods without another word
and leaves the two women, encasing them back in their invisible bubble.

Pancakes are eaten, smiles exchanged, laughs boisterious.

Soleil glances down at the gold watch sitting upon her wrist. The clock reads 5:11am. She gets up and slides into Luna's side of the booth and slides her hand behind her neck. They stare into each other as they slowly close the space inbetween them. Their lips slide together like a beautifully written poem, each word more ethereal then the next.

When they finally release, they look at each other silently and smile. There's no sadness in either of their faces, just pure adoration.

"Goodbye," Soleil breathes out, placing one last kiss on the tip of her lover's nose.

"I love you....to the moon and back," Luna giggles.

Soleil slides out of the booth and she is gone, the warmth of her presence still lingering.

Luna pays the bill before leaving the restaurant as well, walking down the puddle lined street of the East Village. The sky has just a hint of color as she reaches a park. Morning dew kisses each blade of grass and she sits on a bench.

She closes her eyes and waits silently, the sound of cabs and trucks buzz in the background. She feels warmth wash over her once again and opens her eyes. The sun is shining bright, expelling it's light over her body. She smiles and sighs. She is alive and whole and glowing. Pink skies hover around her, clouds looking as if they were painted on with a delicate touch. She bathes in the sun's warmth, she is loved.
♠ ♠ ♠
so this is probably one of my most favorite pieces i've ever done. i hope you enjoyed it as much i did writing.

:')