Status: Work in Progress

Yesterday You Threw Away Tomorrow

Introduction

Death is a lot like falling. You can see the ground coming closer, but you can’t fully prepare yourself for the impact. That’s exactly how Gracie felt at this point in time. As though she had been falling and this was the heart wrenching impact.

Yes, it’s normal for kids to bury their parents. Then again, the kids are typically over the age of twenty. That’s not how it was for Gracie Brea Garrison. Barely sixteen and having to plan a funeral. A funeral for her only parent at that.

It was strange for her. From the time she was little it was always her and her mother. Never a day without each other. Not even when her mother had first gotten sick. That had been six years ago. Even then Gracie had stayed by her mother’s side. Towards the end even if Gracie had wanted to leave her mother’s side it would have been impossible.

Having a family member quickly pass away in an accident or an overdose is really difficult. Seeing a family member slowly fade away doesn’t make it any easier. Parkinson’s is one where you get to slowly see a familiar member lose everything they used to be.

Then there was the reading of the will. Some people look forward to the will, others mourn the will reading. Gracie felt numb about it as she sat in her mother’s lawyer office.

Mr. Newton was a man in his late forties. Salt and peppered hair that was neatly combed back. Laugh lines surrounded his light blue eyes that always reminded Gracie of someone who was wise. Then again to be a lawyer you needed to be wise. At least somewhat.

“Now Gracie as you know Nancy left everything to you in her will.” He glanced up at her from the will. “However, there is a problem.”

Gracie glanced up, slightly taken by surprise. There had never been any issues whenever he had visited the house all those times to help Nancy set up the will.

“And what is the problem?” Gracie kept her voice polite.

Mr. Newton sighed, “The problem is you are under the age of eighteen. From my understanding your father has been absent for quite sometime and you’re mother is now gone.”

Gracie gazed at Mr. Newton as though none of this affected her. In her mind it really didn’t. It wasn’t news to her that her father was absent in her life. The man had run out as soon as he found out Nancy was pregnant! Her mother being gone wasn’t news either! Gracie had watched her beloved mother deteriorate for four of the six years!

“I don’t think that it matters that I’m under the age of eighteen. I’ve been taking care of myself and my mother for years.” The confusion was clear in her voice although her expression remained passive.

Mr. Newton set the will down and laced his fingers on his desk. “In the state of Florida a minor can’t be left unsupervised. I will be managing your properties and belongings for the next two years. On your eighteenth birthday you will be given the keys to your possessions.”

Gracie wasn’t going to have any of her things for two years. The house she grew up in was going to be empty for two years?! Where was she going to stay?! A really important question in her mind, so she asked.

“Mr. Newton, where will I be staying for these two years then?” She asked slightly hesitantly.

Mr. Newton gave a small smile, “With your Aunt Maria in California.”

Aunt Maria in California! Gracie felt her blood began to boil. That woman who was supposed to be related to her wonderful mother! The same woman who couldn’t be bothered to visit her dying sister! Not even once!

Gracie took a few seconds to calm herself. It wasn’t as though this was Mr. Newton’s fault. Instead her mother had set this up! When, she had no idea! Every time Mr. Newton had come to the house Gracie had been present. It’s not as though her mother went many days without Gracie staying by her side.

Hell, when she found out about the Parkinson’s Gracie had talked her mother into homeschooling her so she would be able to stay at home. The first year Nancy had fought with all her might to keep Gracie in school, but then it had gotten difficult to do certain things around the house. Therefore, Gracie had won the homeschooling argument.

It wasn’t as though Gracie had taken advantage of it and skipped out. Instead she had rushed through her school work as quickly as the program her mother had picked would allow.

“So, the state of Florida declares I was able to take care of my dying mother, but since she is gone and I would still be doing the same thing, I’m not legally allowed?” She gritted out softly.

Mr. Newton let out a sigh. It was obvious this little bit of news was irritating for Gracie. For years she had been in Florida and now with her only parent gone her life was being uprooted. She was being forced to move onto the other side of the continent and live with family she hadn’t seen in years.

“Your Aunt Maria is your mother’s only living relative, besides yourself. When you are eighteen years of age you are allowed to come back.” Mr. Newton’s tone let Gracie know there was going to be no budging on this one. "I'm sorry, Gracie. There's nothing I can do."
♠ ♠ ♠
So here is the beginning of my new story! I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed working on it.