Status: New and Active!

Nobody's Hero

X. || Unsuccessful Rescue Mission

Andy didn't even know where to begin looking. After Patrick had taken Phoenix, his father had kept him in the house for a long time, holding a gun to him to keep him compliant. Finally, when they both heard Phoenix's mom's car pull into the driveway, the sheriff exited quietly out the back door.

After relaying the whole story to her mom, Andy hurried out of the house and to his car, wandering around their hometown for a little bit and then ultimately just starting to drive back in the direction of where they currently lived. He really had no idea where Patrick would have taken her. He'd never gotten to know him well enough to even have an idea. He called anyone he could think of that was friends with Phoenix to ask them if they had any ideas and no one did. Her mom had insisted on calling her local police when she'd heard about the kidnapping, and so Andy kept calling them too, but they didn't have any leads either really. They'd caught the squad car on a couple of security cameras at a few businesses in town, but nothing after that.

Eventually he made his way back to his house in L.A., hoping that a shower and a change of clothes would make up for the lack of sleep and the sheer panic he was feeling. It didn't.

Finally, he gave up and just decided to go to Phoenix and Patrick's apartment. He was surprised when he saw the squad car neatly parked outside. He couldn't believe that Patrick was actually stupid enough to come back to his home, but it seemed that apparently he was. Andy cursed himself for not checking there first.

Without really giving it too much thought, Andy grabbed his baseball bat that was still bloody from the first time he'd hit Patrick with it out of his trunk and headed up to their apartment. He didn't know what was going to happen when he got there, or even what he was going to do, but he knew he had to go in. He knew he had to do everything he could to save her.

He walked down the long hallway of their floor as quietly as he could, stopping to listen outside the apartment door before doing anything else. Everything was seemingly silent as he stood there, and he couldn't decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

Taking a deep breath, he grabbed for the doorknob and was mildly surprised when it twisted open, unlocked. Stepping inside and shutting the door quietly behind himself, he didn't see anyone. The place was still in the state of utter disarray that it had been the last time he'd seen it, broken glass littering the floor and random things thrown all over the place.

Suddenly, he heard Patrick's voice in the bedroom, followed shortly after by Phoenix's. He couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief at her voice; he'd been terrified that he might have been too late, that Patrick had already done something awful to her.

He crept to the door as quietly as he could and the first thing he clearly heard was Phoenix speaking in a voice that he knew had to sound much braver than she felt.

"Or what? You'll fucking shoot me? I think both of us know you wouldn't actually do that." Andy heard her say the words and cringed slightly. He couldn't believe he was hearing her say that. He wondered absently if Patrick actually had a gun and then came to the obvious conclusion: of course he probably did, seeing as his father seemed to be just about the most crooked cop on the planet.

"Oh, you don't think I will, huh?" Andy heard Patrick ask, accompanied by footsteps, presumably moving across the room. He held his breath as he listened for something else to happen, but it didn't. In fact, neither of them said anything else inside the room and he heard two heavy plops, like they'd sat down on the bed.

Eventually he got so concerned by their silence that he busted into the room much more loudly and dramatically than he originally planned. They were in fact sitting on the bed. Phoenix was crying silently and Patrick was holding a gun to her chest, smiling in a way that would have been terrifying if he hadn't been holding a gun, but was intensified so much more by the fact that he was.

Both of their heads snapped up when Andy burst in and Patrick stood quickly, forcing Phoenix up with him.

"Don't fucking move or I'll shoot her right now, princess," Patrick said, and Andy dropped the bat to the floor.

"Okay. Just let her go. Please. Please, don't hurt her anymore," Andy pleaded, and Patrick smiled at him.

"Maybe I won't hurt her anymore. Maybe it would be more fun to hurt you instead," Patrick said, seemingly deciding that it was a brilliant idea.

Suddenly there was pounding on the front door. All three of them looked toward the still-open bedroom door and Patrick brandished the gun dramatically.

"You two stay here and keep fucking quiet or you're both dead right now," he said, making his way to the door and stepping through it. Andy and Phoenix listened as he locked it from the outside and took off towards the front door.