Status: This is a story I have on another website so it'll be up fast. All I'm doing is editing my work. I hope you enjoy. :)

Released

Success

Lucian met with Uther in his downstairs study the next day. It was their official meeting between just the two of them. They hadn’t spoken in private since Lucian told him about Persephone going to Ongar.

“How is Percy?” Uther asked.

“Much better, thank you,” Lucian said. “If I’m remembering correctly, she and Elisabeth are in the gardens again.”

Uther nodded. “And Frederick has taken up refuge in the music room. I know what you did, by the way,” he added with a sly smile. “You knew he’d beat me at Switchboard, didn’t you?”

Lucian shuffled the papers on his desk. “I have no idea what you’re talking about, your highness.”

Uther laughed. “I can see why your staff is so loyal,” he said. “Speaking of, where’s that Jerkin? I haven’t seen him in at least a day.”

Lucian frowned and told him what happened. Uther looked as horrified as Persephone had been.

“I’m glad to be rid of him,” Lucian said. “He was as bad as my father. Peas in a pod.”

Uther frowned. “Lucian, the thing you need to remember about your father is that he didn’t start off that way.”

“I know,” he said but Uther shook his head.

“Let me finish. There comes a time when the strain of ruling a kingdom gets to a man,” he said. “I’ve felt it several times. I was lucky, though, to have my wife and son there to keep me grounded to reality. You were a wonderful son. You did everything he told you to do but he didn’t have his wife to help him. He snapped under the pressure and gave in to the dark seed that was planted in him on the day of your mother’s murder. I didn’t enjoy what I had to do,” he sighed. “But I knew I had to do it. If you were to go to war, as I’m sure he wanted to do many times, I would have a hard time justifying going to his aid to my people.”

“People have started calling him the Evil King,” Lucian said. “It makes me a little uncomfortable.”

“Why?”

“Because I can remember when he wasn’t like that,” he said. “I can remember when he was kind, when he would play with me, when he would spoil my mother. But I can also remember when he was cruel, when he would beat me for having a mess on my face at the table, when he would kill people for the smallest of crimes. And I know that people expect me to be just like him.” He rubbed his eyes. “I’ve lost count of how many threats I’ve gotten from anonymous writers. I know they’re in the village somewhere but I don’t know exactly where.”

“What kind of threats?”

“Just that if I follow in my father’s footsteps they’ll rebel,” he said. “Nothing serious, thankfully.”

“You’ll always have people telling you you’re doing it wrong,” Uther said. “Hell, you’ll get other kings and queens saying you’re failing. The best you can do is follow your heart and the advice of those around you.”

“Malachi was a wonderful mentor,” Lucian said. “Without him, I don’t know what I would have done.”

“I look forward to the day my son starts learning how to replace me. We have some wonderful advisors of our own.”

Lucian smirked. “Are you referring to the one you had box my ears?”

Uther laughed heartily. “I had forgotten about that! But you deserved it.”

Lucian chuckled. “Yes, I did.”

“On a more serious note, I and some other dukes and kings are worried,” he said and Lucian tilted his head in curiosity. “You are without a wife and heir.”

Lucian shifted in his seat. “Yes, I know. It’s been difficult to maintain a relationship with a woman while trying to keep this kingdom from running into the ground.”

“It’s never easy,” Uther acknowledged. “But it’s important that your people see you have an heir. I was out among some of the people yesterday and they had no idea you were seeing Percy. In fact, some hadn’t even heard of her.”

Lucian stared at him. “What?

“Why keep your relationship a secret?”

Lucian didn’t know what to say. On the outside, he tried to keep a calm face. Inside, though, he was panicking. He knew the elaborate lie they had worked up was crumbling under their feet.

“Her name isn’t Percy,” he blurted and Uther leaned back in his chair, his face pensive. “Her name is Persephone. She used to work here but Jerkin killed her mother. I was fifteen and my father wanted to toss Persephone into the dungeons. I talked him into letting her free. I took her to the inn she works in now. I’m sorry I deceived you, but I don’t want you to think I’m like my father and-.”

Uther held up his hand. “Take a few deep breaths there, Lucian,” he said and Lucian groaned, dropping his head into his hands. “You thought I would judge you based off of your lack of a woman?”

Lucian shrugged, running a hand through his hair. “Why wouldn’t you? As you said, having an heir is important.”

“It is. But not having a woman doesn’t make you like your father. Why call her Percy, though?”

“Jerkin,” he answered. “And she wasn’t comfortable with the staff knowing.”

“Ah, yes I see. That’s how she knew to ask the innkeeper, isn’t it? Because she works for him.”

“She also lives there,” he sighed. “She and Ongar are good friends. Please don’t tell her that you know. It will only upset her and after that nightmare….”

Uther chuckled. “You know, I’m impressed with you, young Lucian.”

“Why? I’ve made a mess of everything!” he said, standing and pacing behind his desk. “I lied to you about being with Persephone. I let her be in the presence of that murderer even though she was uncomfortable with it. I’ve been trying to manipulate you just so you’ll even consider reforming the alliance!”

“You’ve done what any king would’ve done,” Uther said and Lucian stared at him. “And you’re not manipulating me. Tell me: Would you be doing something like this if King Patrick were to come calling?”

“For the most part,” Lucian said slowly. “I probably wouldn’t force Persephone to act like my woman.”

“You know what I think? I think Percy’s here because she wants to be. She could have left the second she saw that Jerkin was still here.”

“True,” he muttered. He sighed. “This is awful. I don’t blame you for wanting to leave after we find Kale Earheart. I know I’ve ruined everything.”

Uther stood to his feet and grabbed Lucian’s shoulders.

“Look at me,” he ordered and Lucian did so hesitantly. “I wanted to meet with you because I want to reform our alliance, Lucian,” he said. Lucian’s jaw dropped and his knees gave out. He fell into his chair and Uther smiled kindly. “You are an honest young man. There aren’t many left out there. You’ll do anything to make sure that everyone is safe and happy.”

“You really want to ally with us again?” he whispered and Uther grinned, holding out his hand.

“Yes, I do.”

=

Lucian couldn’t keep the grin off his face at the party that night. He danced more with Persephone, spinning her and laughing when she’d stumble. Occasionally, he’d look up at Uther who was watching him with a similar grin, winking at him.

He had been successful! Even though Uther knew the truth, he still wanted to ally with him!

“What has you so happy?” Persephone asked that evening, panting with her face flushed. “Goodness. If we had danced any faster my feet would have fallen off!”

They stopped outside of the room and he grinned at her.

“I’ll tell you tomorrow. Meet me for breakfast on the atrium.”

“What about Uther?”

“It’s okay,” he said and she smiled.

“Okay.”

The next morning, Lucian got a tray for their breakfasts. He had informed Uther about his plan and went out into the cold air. The wind wasn’t blowing, though, so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Persephone showed up just a few minutes later and he beamed at her.

“This looks nice,” she said as she sat down. “I have to admit I’m still confused, though.”

“Well, it’s been such a hectic few days I thought you and I could take a minute to breathe,” he said, pouring some hot tea for the two of them. “You’ve done much for me. And I have amazing news.”

“Oh?”

He nodded eagerly. “But I want to wait until we’re done eating.”

“Then why are we just sitting here?” she asked and he laughed, biting into a scone.

He couldn’t wait to tell her. If anyone should know about their success right away, it was her. He watched her as she ate. She really had put up with a lot while she was here. From being around Jerkin to pretending like they were intimate, it couldn’t have been easy.

When she finally put her fork down, he jumped to his feet. He pulled her to hers and held her hands tightly.

“I had a meeting with Uther yesterday,” he said. “It worked, Persephone. He wants to reform the alliance.”

She blinked a few times then laughed, hugging him tightly.

“Oh, congratulations, Lucian!” she said and he hugged her back. “I’m so happy for you! This is wonderful!”

“And it’s all thanks to you,” he said, stepping back to grin at her some more.

She blushed. “All I did was show up and look pretty.”

“No,” he said, brushing some hair from her face. “No, you did much more than that.”

She smiled shyly and looked around. Snow had fallen during the night and she took a deep breath of the cold air.

“This feels like a dream,” she whispered.

“What do you mean?”

“Everything has worked out. You have what you wanted, I”ve made some friends, we’ll find out how to help Elisabeth, and….” She blushed and looked down, her voice dropping to a whisper. “And the king is holding me.”

Lucian took a step closer and held her chin gently. He made her look at him.

“And now the king is going to kiss you,” he whispered. “Properly this time.”

She just smiled as he leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers.