Status: This is a story I have on another website so it'll be up fast. All I'm doing is editing my work. I hope you enjoy. :)

Released

The End

Persephone gaped at the man on his knees. He looked ten times worse than how she left him. She had managed to get him in the side but it wasn’t fatal. Some of those injuries, though, looked like they would be.

His face was nearly unrecognizable. Someone – and she was sure it was Marius – had beaten him so badly that his face was puffy with bruises. There were bruises on his neck, too, and he was naked except for his undergarments. There were cuts over various parts of his body which made blood drip onto the floor. It looked like, to her, the ‘gents were not in a good mood.

Jerkin looked up and started to plea weakly.

“King Lucian,” he gasped. “Help me.”

Lucian put her down and she leaned into Ongar for support. Lucian approached him slowly.

“You killed my father?” he asked. “Is this true?”

At first, Jerkin didn’t speak. Lucian’s face showed his annoyance and, as if he had ordered him to, Marius punched Jerkin in the gut.

“The king asked you a question,” he spat.

Jerkin finished coughing up blood. “Yes.”

“And you want to kill me?”

Again, he didn’t speak. When Garth made to punch him, though, he said, “Yes.”

“Why?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Jerkin snapped. “This kingdom was better under your father’s rule! He was gettin’ weak! He was gonna stop. I couldn’t let that happen.”

“So you broke his neck,” Lucian said then shook his head. “And you honestly expect me to help you? After you almost killed Persephone?”

He saw her and glared. “That bitch wouldn’t’ve gone down without a fight. I should’ve known better.”

Persephone just returned his glare and Lucian stood back up straight. He sighed.

“You know, I was thinking about having a trial,” he said and there was a low rumble of angry voices. “However, I’m pretty sure these men wouldn’t let me leave without a bruise or two of my own. I think I’m going to issue a pardon.” Jerkin looked excited but Lucian spoke to the men. “I recognize a few of you. However, I will give you a royal pardon if you promise to take care of this man.”

“I dunno, your highness,” Garth said, looking a little uncomfortable. “Ain’t you breakin’ your own law?”

Lucian arched a brow. “Not if I don’t see it happen.”

The men all smirked at him and Jerkin tried to fight as they dragged him back outside. Persephone yawned and Milly cried out in relief when she saw her up.

“You should be in bed,” Milly said.

“Let’s take her back to the palace,” Lucian said then looked at her. “If that’s okay.”

“I’m sure Gretchen is pulling her hair out,” she said and he managed a smile.

Persephone leaned some more into Ongar while Milly went upstairs with Luca.

“He really loves you, you know,” Ongar said and Persephone smiled. “That man had murder in his eyes.”

“I love him, Ongar. I meant it.”

“I know you do. It’s all over your face.” She blushed and he laughed. “Do you want to carry her?” he asked Lucian.

“If you could, I would appreciate it,” Lucian said, now coming in front of her. “However, I would like you to wear this since your dress was ruined.”

Persephone laughed a little as Lucian draped his old cloak over her once she was in Ongar’s arms.

=

Elisabeth screamed when Ongar walked in with a very bloody Persephone.

“Percy!” she cried. “Are you all right!?”

“She will be,” Lucian said. “Is Kale still here?”

“No,” she said, tears falling down her cheeks. “He had to go; a woman in the village is giving birth.”

Lucian looked worried then Frederick spoke up from the back of the assembled crowd.

“I can help.” Everyone stared at him. “I- Well, I’ve been studying medicine,” he admitted, blushing under all the attention. “Ever since we ran out of people to look over Mother…. I’ll have to see her unclothed, though,” he added, now purple from embarrassment.

Lucian approached him and he shrank back a little. “Will you be able to help her?”

“I-I believe so,” Frederick breathed.

“Then I would be honored if you would try. Your mother will be with you there, though.”

“Yes of course,” Frederick said quickly.

“Are you okay with that, Persephone?” Lucian asked.

She could only manage a grunt as she fell asleep.

=

Lucian paced in the parlor.

“She’s going to be fine,” Ongar said bracingly. “I don’t know this Frederick fellow, but if you trust him then he must be good.”

“I can’t help it,” Lucian snapped. “It’s my fault she’s in this position.”

“No it’s not,” Uther said but Lucian shook his head.

“I asked her to come back. Because I asked her, Jerkin recognized her.”

“Stop,” Uther said in a stern voice. “Doing all this worrying isn’t helping.” Lucian flopped onto the couch and groaned loudly. “Where is Jerkin, by the way?”

Lucian cleared his throat awkwardly and Ongar laughed a little.

“I’ll explain,” he said and Lucian nodded.

While Ongar explained about the men’s reaction and what Lucian had ordered, he took deep breaths. All he wanted to do was hold Persephone forever. He wanted to protect her; to make sure no one could ever hurt her again.

An hour later, Frederick came out.

“She’s okay,” he said, still wiping his hands on a towel. “Her larger cuts are sewn shut. She’ll mostly need rest and medicine. I’ll give the recipe to Kale.”

“Why don’t you make it?” Lucian asked and Frederick blushed a little.

“I don’t know about that, King Lucian,” he said.

“I do.”

“As do I,” Uther said and Frederick’s eyes were wide as saucers. “Why didn’t you tell me about all of this, son?”

“I know you want me to focus on learning everything about being a king, but Mother was so upset and-.”

Uther sighed and embraced his son. Lucian smiled at the sign of affection.

“I will be proud of you no matter what, Freddy. Go make those medications for dear Percy. Is she decent?”

“Yes,” he said then hurried to where the castle physician worked.

Lucian immediately ran into the room. Persephone was awake but he could tell she was in a lot of pain. He sat beside her and smiled, brushing her hair away.

“Elisabeth has offered to cut it for me so that it’s even,” she said in a hoarse voice.

“How are you feeling?”

“Like a thousand hot daggers stabbed me,” she said.

“That reminds me: When were you going to tell me about your life as a hardened street fighter?”

She laughed but grimaced as it hurt. “I was going to tell you eventually.”

“Sure you were,” he teased.

“As soon as you made me angry,” she nodded and he smiled, kissing her lips carefully. “So what now?”

“Well, you get better so that you can marry me,” he said.

“That could take a while,” she said. “Frederick said some of my- Wait what?”

He laughed as Elisabeth beamed and Persephone gaped at him. He gently flicked her nose and she pretended to bite at his finger but she couldn’t move her head.

“I’m asking you to be my wife,” he said.

“Really?” she whispered. “Me?”

“You,” he whispered back. “What do you say?”

She smiled again. “Shouldn’t you have a ring?”

He chuckled. “Maybe if you’re really nice to me I’ll get you one.”

She laughed. “I’d love to marry you.”

He laughed again and kissed her.

=

“Are you sure I don’t look bad?” Persephone asked, looking at her reflection sadly. “You can see all of them!”

“You look beautiful,” Kendra assured her. “Besides, everyone loves your scars.”

“But-.”

Gretchen shut her up by putting red lip paint on her lips. Persephone glared but Gretchen just smiled innocently. They had dusted her eyes with golden dust and lined her eyes with black. She was wearing the same dress she wore to the first ball: the queen’s wedding dress.

This time, though, it was Persephone’s wedding dress.

They waited until she was healed and able to do everything again before planning the wedding. It was spring now and the whole kingdom had come to see the wedding, including Uther’s kingdom. The signing of the treaty would be in the summer but he and Lucian were already very close.

It was true that everyone loved her scars. They showed what she did for the kingdom and she was praised for them. Lucian hated it when she covered them but understood how embarrassed she could be about them.

“Besides,” Kendra read from Gretchen’s pad of parchment Persephone had put together for her, “tonight it won’t matter because all of your- Oh, Mother!” she said, slapping her arm playfully as Gretchen covered her mouth and Persephone turned bright red. “That’s awful!”

Persephone was fully aware of what happened on the wedding night and she was very nervous about it. In spite of many efforts over the years, she had remained whole. Elisabeth had talked to her about it, though, and she had felt temporary relief.

“It’s time,” Elisabeth sang as she walked in. “Oh, you look gorgeous, Percy!”

“You’ve seen me in this before.”

“But not as a bride,” she said, holding her at arm’s length. “You’re even more beautiful.” She kissed Persephone’s cheek. “Now come on. Lucian might kill someone if he has to wait any longer.”

Persephone giggled nervously as they made their way down the stairs and through the back. The treatment for Elisabeth seemed to be making a positive difference. She had more energy and didn’t get sick as often.

Uther was waiting with his arm offered and Persephone smiled in thanks. He would be walking her down the aisle and she was now feeling sick to her stomach.

“It’ll be okay,” Elisabeth promised when she saw Persephone’s face. “I’m going to go sit down.”

She kissed Uther then disappeared out the door.

“Are you nervous?” he asked and she nodded. “Don’t be. He’s been raising hell to make sure everything is perfect.”

Persephone could only laugh as music started. She took a few deep breaths as the doors opened. Lucian turned slowly and his face lit up when he saw her walking up to him. She smiled shyly at him and accepted his hand when she got to the end of the aisle.

“I can’t wait to live forever with you,” he whispered and she laughed.

“Just remember that the first time I pull a dagger on you,” she said and he laughed, too.

“I love you,” they said in unison just as the priest cleared his throat to begin the ceremony.