Status: This is a story I have on another website so it'll be up fast. All I'm doing is editing my work. I hope you enjoy. :)

Released

A Favor

Lucian stared as the girl slipped into the kitchens. She had looked so familiar but he couldn’t place his finger on from where. He was shaken out of his thoughts as Gretchen came out of the kitchens with a piece of paper.

“Deliveries?” he asked and she nodded. “Thank you, Gretchen. When you’ve finished what you’re doing now, take off early.”

She smiled her thanks. Gretchen had been a mute since birth. After she had her child, his father wanted to throw her out but Lucian convinced him to keep her. Now she was his main servant. She handled all the important tasks and made sure no one stepped out of line. Everyone respected her and he felt better knowing she was in charge of the servants. With his guests on their way, he had enough to worry about.

After making sure everything was checked off, he went up to his study. It was a mess. He didn’t let any of the servants in here – not even Gretchen – and kept it locked at all times. When he found out his kingdom’s old ally was coming to visit, he nearly lost his sanity to perfect everything. So far, everything was going according to plan.

Well, aside from hitting a poor woman in the head with a door.

He grimaced at the memory and tried to forget it as he got out the to-do list he had made for himself.

“Decorations, being done,” he muttered, pacing in front of the fire. Occasionally, he would kick a book away from his path. “Deliveries, just finished. New outfits, finally done, thank God. Food, Gretchen brought me the menu this morning; everything was good. Rooms-.”

He groaned. The rooms. He had forgotten about the rooms. He hurried down to the kitchens and found Gretchen staring at the flour.

“What’s wrong?” he asked and she pointed. He frowned. “I don’t understand. It’s flour.”

“Someone’s changed it, your highness,” Gretchen’s daughter said.

Lucian didn’t understand the problem. In fact, it would make the cooks get to what they needed easier.

“So what’s the problem?”

Her daughter shook her head with a shrug. Gretchen looked like she had seen a ghost, though.

“Gretchen?” he asked, getting in front of her. “Are you okay?”

She nodded quickly then looked at him with her “What can I do for you?” face.

“I’m really sorry,” he began. “I know I just gave you the evening off but I forgot about the rooms and-.”

She covered her mouth as if to laugh and held her hand up.

“Thanks,” he mumbled. “After that, I promise you can take the night off.”

She curtsied and left.

“What’s the big deal about the flour?” her daughter was saying to herself.

“I don’t know,” he sighed. “I need to go. He’ll be here in less than 24 hours.”

She just nodded and went back to her chores.

=

Lucian knew he was a lucky man. Even his mother had given him the nickname ‘Lucky’ but that was probably just a play off of his name. But, as Gretchen had the two rooms sorted out within the hour, he considered changing his name to Lucky permanently.

He collapsed onto his bed and groaned loudly into his pillow. Being the king had been harder than he anticipated. Just two months after his father’s death, Lucian found himself being crowned in front of the whole kingdom. He was thankful for his advisor, Malachi, and the help he gave. He tutored and made sure that Lucian knew everything before he made a ruling. Once Lucian turned 18, though, Malachi took a back seat. Now he was just simply an advisor again.

The only thing his father’s will kept Lucian from doing was changing the head guard. He loathed the man after what he did to-

“Persephone,” he gasped, sitting up. “That was Persephone!”

All trace of his exhaustion was gone. He had yearned to find out how she had faired but, once his father died, his world was turned upside down. Now she was a young woman, too. He quickly got his cloak back on but was stopped by the head guard.

“Where are you going, your highness?” Jerkin asked. “It’s nearly midnight.”

Lucian arched his eyebrow. “It’s no concern of yours where I go,” he said coldly.

“But it is,” he argued. “If you were to be attacked, it would be on my head.” Lucian resisted the urge to mention his father. “I will accompany you.”

At this, Lucian couldn’t stop a laugh. “Definitely not,” he said, imaging the fury that would be Persephone if he showed up with Jerkin.

“What’s so humorous?” Jerkin asked, his eyes narrowed.

“I don’t have to explain myself to you nor do I have to tell you my every desire,” Lucian said. “I have business to tend to.”

Before he could move, though, someone called his name. He groaned as he turned. It was Gretchen’s daughter with a note.

“From my mother,” she said and blushed when Jerkin winked at her.

Even though he was old, Jerkin was a handsome man and Lucian was well aware of his relations with some of the younger servants. He had yet to catch him, though. He was trying. If he could catch him doing something illegal, he could get rid of him. He needed a just cause, though, and Jerkin knew this so he always toed the line.

All is cared for. Don’t forget about the welcome ball tomorrow evening. I’m sure you sent out your invitation but I know things have been stressful.

Lucian smiled a little. Gretchen was always making sure he had everything taken care of. She was nearly twelve years his senior but acted like a mother to him. The ball had slipped his mind, truthfully, and he had to remember to change his outfit plans for-

“Oh no,” he groaned.

“What is it?” Jerkin asked.

Lucian just pushed by him and went down the stairs. His head was buzzing as he walked. He was so distracted that he ran into the doors before the butler had a chance to open them.

“Could I be any clumsier?” he grumbled, straightening his shirt.

The servant quickly opened the door for Lucian. He lifted his cloak and frowned at Jerkin. The guard just stayed in the castle. Even though no one did much digging, Lucian was sure his father had been attacked. Where was Jerkin when that happened? If he was so worried about the crown then-

Lucian sighed and tried to get his mind off of it. Now that he knew where she was, she was the perfect person to ask.

The villagers didn’t recognize him with his cloak and he preferred it that way. He wanted to walk among them without them being afraid that he would yell at them. Even though he had come a long way after his father’s death, he knew the villagers were still wary around him.

The bar came into view and he cleared his throat, rehearsing in his mind what he was going to say. When he walked in, he saw Ongar arguing with her behind the bar in hushed tones. She was rolling her eyes.

“Any more fights and you’ll get into serious trouble,” he caught Ongar snap before they saw him. Ongar gave him his full attention. “How can I help you, sir?”

“Actually I’d like a word with your barmaid,” Lucian said nervously.

Ongar narrowed his eyes. “Yeah, I’m sure you would.” He stepped in front of Persephone and Lucian laughed a little. “Who are you?”

People were staring so Lucian went around the back of the bar. He saw Persephone bend over but he lowered his hood when he was hidden from the crowd and she froze. Ongar’s face paled.

“I am so sorry,” he gasped. “I didn’t- If I had known-.”

“It’s okay,” Lucian said with a smile. “I’m glad to know she’s been taken care of after all these years.” He glanced at her over his shoulder. “May I speak with you in private, please?”

“Er….”

“I won’t hurt you.”

“You’d be mad to try,” a man said and Lucian quickly lifted his hood. The man grinned at Persephone, leaning on the bar. “Percy here can take care of herself.”

Persephone rolled her eyes but she was smiling as she said, “This way.”

She led him into the kitchen where a woman he recognized as Milly was working. After Persephone cleared her throat, the woman left, staring at Lucian with narrowed eyes.

“I really am pleased that you have people looking out for you,” Lucian said after some silence.

“How can I help you, your highness?” she asked.

He cleared his throat. “I need your help with something.”

“Me? What kind of help?”

“I have guests coming tomorrow,” he said quickly. “Here’s the thing, though: He’s under the impression that I’m- That I have a- Well, I mean, I didn’t lie to him but I didn’t exactly correct him, either. That’s come around to bite me and I need-.”

“Oh,” she said, turning red as she finally understood. “And you want me to…?”

“If you’re willing,” he said. “I know it’s last minute but….”

“For how long?”

“Just a week. I can have a room set up away from the servant’s quarters.”

“I don’t have anything worthy of the palace,” she said, looking at her dress.

“Oh, don’t worry about that. That’s the least of our- well, my problems.”

She didn’t answer and he rocked on his feet nervously. Finally, she managed half a smile.

“When do you need me there?”