Status: This is a story I have on another website so it'll be up fast. All I'm doing is editing my work. I hope you enjoy. :)

Released

Ball

Persephone let Lucian calm down from whatever it was that drove him into such a nervous mess around King Uther. She looked around the office and shook her head a little. It really was an absolute disaster. Books of all kinds littered the floor but that was nothing compared to the loose parchment. Some of it was blank and some of it had print or writing on them. She picked up the nearest one. The words were barely legible to her and she glanced at the king.

He had put his crown back on and was massaging his temples. She felt bad for him but she also felt a little awkward. She knew she was in here just because she was supposed to be the woman he was romancing but a part of her wished there was more. They had had a moment just seconds ago but it was rare and she didn’t expect any more like that.

“What are you doing?”

She jumped and turned. She had a stack of books in her arms. Lucian’s eyes were open and he was watching her curiously.

“I just thought- It’s a mess and- Well, maybe you wouldn’t be so stressed if-.”

Lucian laughed. “It’s okay, Persephone. Take a breath.”

“Take your own advice,” she rebutted and he laughed again.

“I guess it could use some organization,” he admitted as he looked at the mess. “I’m just so busy that I don’t really have the time.”

“I can do it,” she said. “I don’t really have much else to do while we wait.”

“You don’t have to but if you’d like, I would appreciate it.”

She nodded and went back to putting the books in their shelves. She noticed the ones already there were in alphabetical order so she kept going in that way. Once in a while, she’d watch as he crossed to his desk and got out a piece of parchment to read. She was surprised he could find it in the mass of papers that was his desk. He was focused, though, and the only sound in the room was the ticking of the large clock in the far corner.

“Why is this so important?” she asked as she took a break from picking up the loose sheets of parchment.

“Hmm? Oh.” He sighed. “Fifteen years ago, my father executed a farmer.”

“I remember that,” she said. “People weren’t told what his crime was, though. Everyone thought he had stolen something.”

“No. That poor man’s only crime was that his crops were late.”

“Oh,” she whispered.

“Anyway, King Uther heard and was deeply disgusted. This wasn’t the first time my father had done something despicable. It was the last straw, though, and he broke off the alliance between our kingdoms. My father wanted to go to war but his advisors talked him down. We’d never survive against Uther’s kingdom. He heard that I’m the king and about the advances I’ve made in the last ten years so he wanted to visit.”

“And possibly reform the alliance,” she finished. He nodded. “Why am I here?”

“Well, like I said: he’s under the impression I’d at least be engaged. In his last letter, he said he was excited to ‘meet my young woman’ as he put it. I had completely forgotten about it until Gretchen reminded me to bring a guest to the ball. If it appears that I’m at least pursuing a relationship, then he’ll be more inclined to come back.”

“I see,” she said, turning away.

He groaned. “That didn’t come out the way I wanted it to,” he said quickly and she heard him stand. “Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad you’re here. It’s nice to have company that isn’t Jerkin.”

“It’s okay,” she said but her voice was higher than normal. “I understand. Besides, I owe you from helping me all those years ago.”

“Persephone,” he began but someone knocked on the door. He looked at her for a second before opening the door. It was Jerkin. “Can I help you?”

“It’s time to prepare for the ball,” he said.

“Right.” He cleared his throat. “Percy, Gretchen and Kendra should be waiting for you in your room. After you’re done, I’ll meet you in the foyer for-.”

“Okay,” she interrupted quietly and slipped by him.

She heard him groan again but didn’t wait for him. Even though he apologized, her feelings were still hurt. She thought there was something special about her and that’s why he asked her. But there wasn’t. She was just a convenience, that’s all.

When she got to the room she was staying in, she forgot about her hurt feelings. Gretchen and Kendra were holding up a beautiful red and gold dress. As they got the necessities, she changed so they wouldn’t see the hidden daggers on her legs. The last thing she needed was for people to think she was trying to assassinate the king.

The dress cinched tight on the bodice and she squirmed in it a little. It fit her perfectly which surprised her. She had a very petite frame and finding clothing was difficult. Kendra did her makeup again while Gretchen opened a jewelry box. Beaming, she put on a beautiful golden necklace and ruby earrings.

“Oh, this is beautiful,” Persephone said. “Thank you very much!”

“It’s nice to finally see it worn again,” Kendra said with a smile and Persephone looked at her.

“What do you mean? Who wore it before me?”

Gretchen put a hand on her daughter’s shoulder and Kendra shifted on her feet.

“We’ll let the king tell you that,” she mumbled. “Come on; I don’t want you to be late.”

“Right,” she said and slipped into the heels they provided. “I just hope I don’t step on his toes. It’s been many years since I last danced.”

“You’ll do fine,” Kendra said. They left the room and walked down the hall. “The king is also a very good dancer so he’ll make sure you’re fine.”

“Right,” she repeated, blushing at her words.

Lucian was already in the foyer. He was pacing again but stopped when she came down the stairs, holding her skirts up so she wouldn’t trip. His eyes were wide and his jaw dropped, making her blush more. Gretchen elbowed him teasingly and he cleared his throat.

“You look beautiful,” he complimented.

“Thank you,” she said.

Before she could say he was handsome, he said in a rush, “I’m really sorry about earlier, Percy. Honestly. I didn’t mean- I really do like- Sometimes I don’t think before I speak and-.”

Persephone smiled. She loved it when he blundered like that.

“It’s okay, really,” she said but he still looked unsure so she kissed him on the cheek. “What’s next?”

He took her arm and she saw Jerkin looking her up and down again out of the corner of her eye. She stepped closer to Lucian but he didn’t seem to notice as he answered her.

“We wait for the guests. We’ll welcome them then go into the ballroom. We’ll be served dinner then the dancing will begin.”

Loud laughter announced King Uther. He came down the stairs with his family and beamed when he saw Persephone.

“What a vision of beauty!” he proclaimed and she smiled as she curtsied. “I’m glad to see that dress worn again.”

Persephone frowned. “That’s the second time someone said that,” she said and looked at Lucian. He looked nervous. “What are they talking about?”

“You do not know?” Uther asked and she shook her head. “Why, that was the late queen Miranda’s wedding dress, of course!”

Persephone stared at King Uther. Luckily, the doors opened and the guests came in, breaking the awkward silence. She recognized them as the nobility close to their kingdom and some of the more well-off citizens. She stood by Lucian obediently and curtsied or smiled at the guests as they filed by them. Once everyone was inside the ballroom, Lucian led her to the table at the far wall.

“Thank you everyone for coming this evening,” Lucian said, holding her chair out for her. “I’m very excited and very proud to have the honor of hosting King Uther and his dear family for this week. Tonight begins the festivities. Please, mingle and enjoy your time.”

Everyone applauded and Persephone was given a plate filled of food.

“What do you mean by tonight is the beginning?” she asked him, taking small bites.

“I’ll give you the full schedule after the ball,” he answered in a low voice so no one could hear. “I’m sorry I didn’t give it to you sooner. I’ve just been so nervous about this ball.”

Once their plates were empty, the orchestra struck up a slower tune. Lucian jumped to his feet abruptly and held his hand out to her. She took it and let him lead her to the dance floor.

“It’s been a while,” she said nervously as he put his hand on her lower back. “And why is everyone staring at us?”

He chuckled. “I’m the king and you’re my guest,” he pointed out. “Of course they’re going to be staring.”

He counted then stepped back, putting slight pressure on her back as he did so. She focused on not stepping on his feet but it was hard as she also tried not to look at them. She knew that was an unspoken rule: don’t look at your feet while dancing.

“Just loosen up,” he murmured to her and she arched a brow. “Yes, I know, but you look like you’re going to die.”

“I just might,” she said and he laughed a bit. “I’m not used to so much attention.”

“They’ll join us in a moment, don’t worry.”

Sure enough, a few seconds later, King Uther led Elisabeth into a dance. Persephone felt her shoulders relax and she stepped closer to Lucian when the dance floor became more crowded.

“I thought you said it’s been a while,” he said. “You’re moving beautifully.”

“Thank you,” she said and looked up.

Their eyes locked again but this time it was different. Her face got hot but she blamed it on the collection of bodies in the room and moving around in such a heavy dress. His eyes were soft and he smiled a little at her. She smiled back and noticed how he pulled her even closer, not looking away from her as they waltzed easily across the room.