Status: This is a story I have on another website so it'll be up fast. All I'm doing is editing my work. I hope you enjoy. :)

Released

Awkward

Lucian hadn’t expected Persephone to look as beautiful as she did. Yes, she was already beautiful but to see that dress on her…. Therefore, when she had come down the stairs, he was sure his breath was gone from his body. Now, as they danced, he was even more enchanted. When they spun by Uther, he saw the king giving him a smirk. Crystalline eyes were all he could truly see, though.

When the music stopped, she stepped away. At first he was a bit insulted but then he realized she was feeling shy. The thought was very endearing. The rest of the evening was spent with more dancing and eating. Several times, she was stolen by other men and Lucian would feel a pang of jealousy every time one of them would hold her close while they danced.

You’re being ridiculous. This isn’t real, Lucian.

Finally, the end of the evening came but it was really just the beginning. There was still more to do for the dinners and parties following after. When all the guests had left, Lucian walked Persephone to her room, explaining how everything would work while he did so.

“After each meal, we’ll meet in the ballroom,” he said. “The meals won’t be as extravagant as tonight’s, though. We’ll mingle for a few hours then everyone will go home. During the day is when Uther and I will be spending more time talking one-on-one. You’ll be entertaining his wife, if that’s okay.”

“Of course it is,” she said. When they stopped outside her door, she suddenly fixed him with a steady gaze. “Whose room is this?”

“What?” he asked, thrown off by such an unusual question.

“Whose room is this?” she repeated and crossed her arms when he still looked confused. “I’m wearing your mother’s wedding dress. Was this her room?”

He looked down at the floor.

“You’re a sharp woman,” he murmured. “Yes. It’s where she stayed while my father was courting her.”

“Why am I here?” she asked, now wringing her hands. “I mean, why not a guest room?”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged, still avoiding her eyes. “I just thought- It’s the best room and- I mean, I can make up a guest room for you if you’d like but-.”

She giggled and he stared at her in surprise. She cleared her throat.

“You blunder so much,” she said.

“Like you have any room to talk,” he teased and she smiled. “Is it uncomfortable being in my mother’s room and dresses? Because if it is, I really can have things change. It won’t be a problem.”

“It’s okay,” she said but her cheeks were pink. “I’m assuming she and I are the same size?”

He nodded, looking at the dress. “Yes. She had the same frame as you. It was the best solution I could think of on such short notice. We can have other dresses made, though.”

“No need,” she said quickly. “Well, I’m going to get some sleep. What time is breakfast?”

“I’ll come get you,” he said.

“Right.” They stood in awkward silence and he rocked on his feet some again. “Well. I’ll see you in the morning. I guess.”

“Yeah,” he said with a bit of a laugh. When she smiled, though, he gave in to impulse and stepped forward. He kissed her very lightly on the lips and felt her freeze. “Good night, Persephone,” he whispered.

She just blinked at him, looking stunned into silence. He managed a smile before continuing down the hall to his bedroom. He touched his lips, surprised at how nice it felt to kiss her. He wanted to as they danced but worried about embarrassing her.

Gretchen was waiting outside of his room with a smirk on her face. He rolled his eyes.

“Oh, go to bed Gretchen,” he said and she covered her mouth like she did when she would laugh. “I’ll be escorting her to breakfast if you can make sure she’s ready in time.”

She nodded and curtsied. He narrowed his eyes at her so she rolled hers good naturedly and hugged him briefly. She was the only one he felt comfortable enough with to let them do that.

Before opening his door, he looked down the hall towards Persephone’s room.

Well, she used to be the only one.

=

The following morning, he got dressed slowly. He was exhausted from last night. It had taken hours to fall asleep. He was stressing about the day with the king and his family. Though his one-on-one time with Uther wouldn’t be for another two days, he still had to manage a way to please him. He remembered Persephone saying to be himself. If only she knew it wasn’t that easy….

After making sure his crown was on perfectly, Lucian walked to her room. He could hear whispers but, when he knocked, they stopped. The door opened a crack and Kendra looked annoyed.

“You’re early,” she chastised and he lifted a brow.

“I’m sorry?” he asked. “I thought you’d be done. You’re always early.”

She lowered her voice and said, “That’s before you kissed her.”

His eyes widened and she giggled as she shut the door in his face. She told them!? He knew that they wouldn’t have much privacy, but they had been alone last night.

The door opened again and Kendra practically shoved Persephone out of the room. She rolled her eyes at Kendra and took his arm.

“I didn’t say anything,” she blurted as they walked down the hall. “It was Gretchen. Kendra said she saw and….”

“It’s okay,” he muttered but felt a little relieved that she was willing to keep things to herself. “Gretchen has always been more of a mother figure to me. When mine was killed, my father didn’t bother to comfort me through it. Gretchen was there, though.”

“She’s a great woman,” Persephone said. “You wouldn’t even know she was a mute unless you were around her long enough.”

He nodded. “It took a long time but she found a way to communicate with people. Most times it’s through her daughter.”

“I’ve noticed that. They seem to have a close bond.”

“They do,” he agreed.

They were the first to arrive at the breakfast table and he helped her into her seat. He sat down, too, and cleared his throat. Once again, the silence around them was awkward and it killed him.

“About last night,” he mumbled and saw her look at him as he studied his reflection in his goblet. “If I overstepped the line then I apologize.”

“It’s okay,” she whispered and he chanced a glance at her. Her gaze was fixed on her plate but her face was red. “I just didn’t expect it, that’s all.”

He had the sudden urge to ask her about any relationships she may have had, but Uther arrived at that moment with his family. He and Persephone stood in respect then sat along with them.

“Good morning,” Lucian said, shaking his hand.

“Not for me,” Uther said, grimacing as he sat down.

“Is everything all right?” Lucian asked nervously.

Elisabeth giggled. “Oh, he’s just fine. He has trouble getting up in the mornings.”

As if on cue, Uther yawned widely behind his hand.

“That was very rude,” he groaned. “I’m sorry.”

Lucian laughed after swallowing his mouthful of food.

“Trust me, you’re not the only one,” he said. “My mother used to threaten to dump water on me.” Everyone laughed. “Did you sleep well?”

“Yes,” he said. “The bed was very comfortable and the rooms are very nice.”

“I’m glad,” Lucian said with a smile. “I was thinking we could go visit the library and gardens today after breakfast.”

“You have gardens?” Elisabeth asked, her eyes glistening.

Lucian laughed a little. “Of course we do. And they’re very impressive, if it’s not too prideful of me to say.”

“Not at all,” Uther said. “We must all take pride in our homes. What do you think, Frederick?”

The son shrugged, pushing his food around on his plate. “I guess it would be fun.”

“We also have a music room,” Lucian said and Frederick looked at him briefly. “We could visit it tomorrow if you’d like.”

“Okay,” he mumbled and Uther sighed.

“Frederick, at least look the king in the eyes when you’re speaking to him. He’s letting you stay in his home and-.”

“Uther,” Elisabeth said quietly and the man stopped talking.

Silence fell over the table. Frederick looked annoyed as he ate his breakfast. Lucian observed the young man. He had to be Lucian’s age, give or take a year. He thought back to the many times his father would correct him in public. It was very embarrassing. The only thing that made him feel better was-

“Frederick, tell me something,” Lucian said and the prince glanced at him. “Can you play Switchboard?”

“I’ve never heard of it.”

The look on Persephone’s face told him she had. She was grimacing and he smirked at her. She shook her head, her eyes wide.

“Well, Percy happens to absolutely love Switchboard,” Lucian said. “We’ll play it tomorrow.”

Frederick merely shrugged again. As they made their way to the library, Persephone groaned quietly.

“I’m awful at Switchboard,” she complained. “Do we have to?”

“Yes,” he said with a grin. “As your king, I am ordering you to play Switchboard.”

“Oh, you’re awful,” she pouted and he laughed.