Status: This is a story I have on another website so it'll be up fast. All I'm doing is editing my work. I hope you enjoy. :)

Released

Sick

Elisabeth seemed very interested in spending time with Persephone while the men looked around the library. Neither woman really found much to look at so they lingered by the fire to stay warm.

“Tell me about yourself, Percy,” she said and Persephone thought for something to say.

“There’s not a whole lot to tell, honestly.”

“Do you have any hobbies?”

Persephone was about to tell her about her fighting then stopped. She highly doubted the queen would want to know about that. In fact, it might even jeopardize what Lucian was trying to achieve. She was doing her best to come up with a lie but, the longer she remained silent, the more interested the queen became.

“You know, as a young woman, I loved to hunt,” she said and Persephone’s jaw dropped. Elisabeth giggled. “I would hunt with my father. I was a peasant, you see, before I met dear Uther at the palace. We supplied all the meats for the king’s table.”

“Well….” Persephone tugged lightly on her hair. “I can….”

“If you’re worried about me telling my husband, my lips are sealed,” she promised. “He doesn’t even know I would hunt with my father. He thinks I would just deliver with him.”

Persephone shuffled her feet. “I may or may not be a very skilled fighter.”

“Really?” she asked and Persephone nodded. “You mean with swords?”

“Knives and fists,” she said in a tiny voice, glancing at the men. Lucian was describing a painting to them. “Lucian doesn’t know. I don’t want to tell him. I- Well, I don’t want him to think poorly of me.”

“Why did you teach yourself to fight?” she asked with a slight frown. It wasn’t disapproving, though. It was confusion and for once Persephone felt comfortable telling someone other than Ongar about her skills.

“I had to defend myself growing up,” she said. She stared into the flames and Elisabeth stepped closer to hear. “My father left my mother and I when I was born. Then she died when I was thirteen so I didn’t really have anyone to take care of me. I was lucky to get a job with someone who looked over me until I came of age.”

“I’m very sorry,” Elisabeth whispered, rubbing her arm. “I can’t imagine what that must have been like.”

“I’m happy now,” Persephone said with a smile. “I have a good life and good friends.”

“How did you meet Lucian?” she asked.

That was something Persephone hadn’t anticipated to answer. Of course, that was a stupid thought. Of course they’d ask…. She was spared having to say something by the arrival of the men, though.

“What have you two been whispering about over here?” Uther asked.

“Your demise,” Elisabeth said in a very serious voice. “It will come soon, my husband.”

“I’ll watch my back then,” he said in the same tone. He laughed at the look on Persephone and Lucian’s faces. “We’re not serious.”

“Right,” Lucian said with a laugh. “Well, let’s go see those gardens.”

“Actually, I’m feeling a little tired,” Elisabeth said and Persephone noticed the dark circles under her eyes. Elisabeth looked embarrassed. “I’m sorry but I should-.”

“Enough, Elisabeth,” her husband said gently. “You have nothing to apologize for. Let’s go rest for a while. We can see the gardens later today or tomorrow.”

“Okay,” she whispered and smiled at Persephone. “I enjoyed talking with you. We’ll have to do it again.”

“Definitely,” Persephone said and watched as all three of them left. When the door was shut, she looked at Lucian. “What was that about?”

“Queen Elisabeth is sick,” he said sadly. “No one knows what with. Every physician within a thousand miles has looked at her but still can’t come up with an answer.”

“What are her symptoms?”

“Intense pain, fatigue, and sometimes she gets so sick without even being around other ill people,” he answered as they walked to his office again. “I offered to let our court wizard look at her but she has declined.”

“What would your court wizard be able to do?” Persephone asked but she was thinking about the symptoms he had mentioned.

She knew those symptoms and knew them well.

“Cast a spell,” he said. “It would heal her. Well, we hope it would. She doesn’t want to take any unnecessary risks, though.”

“Lucian,” she said, “I don’t know the name, but I know those symptoms.”

He looked up from the papers he was studying on his desk. His eyes were wide.

“You do?”

“Yes,” she said and sat down on the couch by the fireplace, moving some papers to make some room. “One of the servants had the same symptoms.”

“Where is she?” he asked, jumping to his feet. “Maybe we can help Queen Elisabeth and-.”

“She died,” Persephone whispered and Lucian’s shoulders fell. “When the castle physician looked at her, he noticed that her joints had deformed and is pretty certain it was her illness that took her life.”

“Are you saying you think Elisabeth will die?” he asked, looking extremely sad.

“Not necessarily,” Persephone said quickly and went to hold his hand in comfort. “Why hasn’t your physician talked to Elisabeth?”

“My father fired him,” Lucian said.

“Do you remember his name? Maybe he’s still in the village. I can look for you.”

“You’re willing to do that?” he asked in surprise.

“Of course,” she said. “If it will help bring the kingdoms together, then it’s worth it.”

“Wait. You think I’m worried because I want to ally with Uther?” he asked.

Persephone shrugged. “Well, that’s why you’ve been doing everything else.”

“No, Persephone. Elisabeth is such a kind woman. I remember on the day of my mother’s funeral…. She comforted me as I cried. My father was embarrassed by me so he had sent me away. I just want her pain to go away. She’s too wonderful to-.”

Persephone’s body seemed to move on its own. She stood on her toes and kissed him. She quickly stepped back, though, very embarrassed.

“Sorry,” she breathed. “I- Let me know when it’s time for dinner.”

She fled before he could speak.

=

“They physician,” Kendra said slowly. “I don’t know. I was too young. Mother, do you remember his name?”

Gretchen nodded and got a piece of parchment and a quill from the writing desk in the queen’s room. Persephone had run there and refused to go to lunch. She was incredibly embarrassed about her actions and couldn’t bring herself to face Lucian just yet.

Kale Earheart

“Is he still in the village?” Persephone asked but Gretchen shrugged.

She looked at the clock. It was only two in the afternoon so she stood up and grabbed a cloak.

“I know who to ask,” she said but Kendra stopped her.

“You can’t go there alone,” she said with wide eyes. “I hear there are unsavory men in the village! What if they try to hurt you?”

Persephone repressed her smirk.

“Then they’ll regret it,” she said and left before Kendra could ask any other questions.

She lifted the hood of her cloak but someone stepped in front of her. It was Jerkin and she bit her lip.

“And where are you going?” he asked.

“Out,” she said and tried to step around him. “Excuse me, please.”

“I can’t let you go alone,” he said. “Besides, shouldn’t you be with the king?”

“I’m going on behalf of the king,” she said, resisting the urge to reach under her dress. “Now please move.”

Instead, he stepped closer to her. She stood her ground, glaring up at him as hatred coursed through her veins. As she looked into his horrible eyes, she wanted nothing more than to drive a dagger through his heart.

“Let me go with you,” he said, putting his hand on her arm and rubbing it gently. “I can keep you safe from… dangers.”

“The only danger in my life is you,” she hissed, slapping away his hand.

She took advantage of his surprise to get around him and out the door. She was shaking and pulled the cloak closer. How dare he touch her!? She took a few deep breaths, though, trying to calm herself. As the anger subsided, she started to worry. In light of everything that happened, she had been keeping her identity secret. What if she had just revealed herself? What if the king got in trouble?

She shook herself for being so stupid. Of course he wouldn’t get in trouble. He’s the king.

She reached the bar and slipped in. She smiled when she saw Ongar wiping down a glass. She didn’t realize how close of a friend he had become until she was away for two days.

“What can I get for you?” he asked, not looking up.

“Well, a hug would be nice to start with.”

His head snapped up and he laughed, coming around to hug her.

“Percy! What’re you doin’ here?”

“Did you say Percy?” Milly shouted from the back and she hurried out to hug her, too.

“I can’t stay long,” she said, grinning at her two friends. “I was actually wondering if you could do me a favor.”

“Of course,” Ongar said. “What do you need?”

“I need to find this man,” she said and passed him the piece of parchment Gretchen had written on. “Preferably before the end of the week.”

“Kale Earheart,” he read. “You know, the name sounds familiar. Why’re you looking for him?”

People were starting to eavesdrop and she lowered her voice.

“He has information that will help me,” she said.

Ongar nodded, understanding. “How do I get in touch with you?”

“Just go around to the kitchens and say you’re looking for Percy.”

“I’ll do what I can,” he said and she smiled, hugging him again.