‹ Prequel: Safe Zone
Status: Sequel to Safe Zone

Crash Into Me

Chapter Seven

{Katy’s Point of View}

All the family pictures on the wall shook as Liz slammed the door to her room. My mom and Liz just had an all-out screaming match about her getting a job or start taking care of the boys. Of course, my sister didn’t see the need for her to get a job since she was going to school. Which made my mom even angrier because my mom had to put her life on hold while she paid for Liz to live out all her dreams.

“I just don’t know what to do anymore. I’m tired of caring for the boys constantly. I haven’t even spent time with Charlie because I have to make sure they are fed and bathed. Which is a process on its own,” My mom complained to me as Charlie and I sat on the couch trying to watch some silly cartoon.

“Make Liz put them in day care while she’s in school. Quit enabling her,” I felt sorry for my mom but she did all this to herself every time she copped Liz out of difficult situations.

“You sound like your father. I’ve been checking into these Mother’s Day out programs and its only three days a week, which means she can choose for them to go on the days that she goes to school and they can stay with her while she isn’t in school.”

“Good, put them in it. And when it’s her days to not go get out of the house before they wake up, because they’ll go to her and she’ll have to take care of them. If not threaten her that you’re going to send them with Chad’s mom. His family could do at least something to help.” There was no sympathy from me for my sister.

“Thank God, I got one good kid. I mean your sister is good it’s just covered by a lot of bad,” She reversed as she dissed her own child.

“Covered in a lot of selfishness,” I mumbled as my mom gave me a sly smile. She knew I was right, but didn’t want to believe that about her first born.

My mom walked out of the room as I pulled Charlie closer to me and rested head beside hers. Slowly, my eyelids grew heavier and heavier. And eventually I was in dream land along with Charlie.

_______________________________


The tiny body that I had been snuggled next to for the last hour and a half began to stir in between my embrace.

“You awake, Sugar?” I asked pushing her brown locks from her face. I don’t know how I was so lucky enough to be this little girl’s mother.

“Mhm,” She groaned as she stretched her arms out then retracted back into my arms, “I’m hungry.”

“Want to go get some grub?” I offered, while sitting up. My sports bra was all out of wack along with my hair.

“Can we get white noodles?” Charlie asked standing up to give me room to get up.

“Yeah, we’ll go get some white noodles. Let’s get ready really quick,” Now I was standing up. My arms tried to reach to the ceiling as every bone that could possibly pop, did so. Charlie led the way up to our temporary room, so we could get ready.

__________________________________


What should’ve taken us fifteen minutes to get ready is took nearly forty-five minutes. Mainly because Charlie wanted to pick my clothes out. Then wanted to help with my hair. I figured I wouldn’t get those moments back, so I just let her have fun.

We finally made the final matching decisions and started to make our way down the stairs. My phone began to ring in my back pocket. I pulled it out and read; Matt Sanders.

“Hey!” I answered, making sure neither I or Charlie fell down the stairs. Thankfully my anger from Friday had passed and I took a breath to realize where he was coming from.

What’re you up to?” Matt asked.

“Well Charlie and I are about to go have a Sunday Fun day. Going to grab some food then walk around the beach and look for seashells. Want to join us?” I don’t know what I was thinking about inviting him along I should’ve known that he wouldn’t be able to come, especially since it was out in the public.

Yeah. I would love to,” Matt sounded excited.

“Really?” I was shocked, and I’m sure he could hear it in my voice.

I mean if you don’t want me to then I understand,” Matt’s whole tone changed.

“No, I want you to come. Just didn’t think you’d be able to come since it’s like out in public,” I chuckled opening the front door for Charlie and me.

I don’t care about that anymore. Charlie is my daughter. People can get over it. I’m at my mom’s I’ll be over in a minute to pick you up.” Thank God, I hated driving. Especially the soccer mom mini-van.

“Okay. We’ll start walking towards your parent’s to meet you,” My hand reached out as Charlie grabbed and intertwined her fingers into mine, “See you in a minute.”

Once I had ended the call I put it back in my back pocket, “Was that Rachel’s mommy?” Charlie asked wondering if her newly found friend was going with us.

“No, baby. It was your daddy. He’s going to come with us,” Her smile grew wider. Matt was all Charlie talked about. Every picture she drew or painted was for Matt. It was bittersweet for this jealous mother.

“YAY!” She jumped up and down.

It didn’t take us more than ten minutes to reach The Sanders’ home. Matt had just turned his truck on as we reached the driveway.

Matt jumped down from the lifted truck as we walked up next to it. Charlie held on to my hand tighter as if she was shy.

“Girl, I don’t think so. As much as you talked about him the whole way here you better go give him a hug,” I laughed pushing Charlie from behind me towards Matt. Charlie fell into a fit of giggles as Matt acted like he was going to get her. She tried to hide for another minute before Matt picked her up and she slung her arms around his neck. It’s like the two were never separated.