Status: On-going, slow rewriting process

My Favorite Waste of Time

The Sound of Starting Over

ONE YEAR BEFORE
“Amber, you do not have to go through with this.” My blue eyes met his striking green eyes with a guarded look. He was solemn. His fellow Gryffindor’s were to be married, but was this really the right thing to do? My brown hair was pinned into a messy bun, and he gently placed the veil upon my head. I turned and looked in the mirror, my eyes taking in the white, modest dress that covered my arms and chest. The veil just long enough to hide what makeup couldn't, and what was hidden would not show in wedding pictures due to impeccable lighting. Harry placed the lace veil over my face and took a step back.

“I don’t want to disappoint anyone. I don’t want to waste anyone's efforts or money.” I sniffled, holding back the tears that would all together ruin my makeup. I took in my surroundings. The Weasleys biggest room happened to be Molly and Arthur’s bedroom, and it was the chosen bedroom for me to get ready for my wedding, which took place in their gardens. I crossed the room to the window to look down and see what was taking place down in the garden. The tent was being put up. And my husband to be was running around with his suit half done up. I would see his pants falling from where I stood. He must have already been in the liqueur cabinet. Seamus and his Irish blood was sure to get me in trouble.
“The only people that you would be disappointing is the people who love you; that is, if you stay in this relationship that drains you, and makes you the weak, feeble, woman that we all know you to not be.” Harry placed his hand on my shoulder, I flinched and shrunk away; especially since he was right on a newly developed bruise that I had obtained just the night before. His eyes flashed as he realized what he had done. “Look, Amber, you have to get out of here before this wedding begins, or I will drag you out when asked if anyone objects. And I can assure you, I will not be the only one willing to do so. Heroine and Ron have absolutely no problem doing so, what-so-ever; nor does Ginny.”
I have never heard Harry be so firm with anyone before, and it was off-putting. I tugged at the sleeves to the dress and swallowed the lump in my throat.
“Okay.” I said with a slight nod of my head. “I don’t know where I’ll go...but I’ll go.” I lifted my chin up high and set my jaw.

“We will deal with Seamus.” Harry promised me. And with that, I turned; the familiar feeling of apparition squeezing me through a invisible small tube. I opened my eyes to a familiar house before me; gathering my courage I lifted my dress and trekked up the stairs to the oak front door; lifting my right hand to knock gently. I waited about a good five minutes before my grandmother opened the door slightly, before gasping and pulling me into her warm embrace.

“Grams.” I mumbled as she pulled back to look at me, finally taking in the wedding dress before pulling me into her house, promising warmth and safety for as long as I needed it.

~Present Time~
“Amber Tomlinson!” Tom, the bartender ran from behind his perch at the counter and crushed me into his hug. I laughed and patted his back as he quickly recounted all that went on within The Leaky Cauldron in my year absence. I took in all that he said and let his give me a butter beer to warm my body back up. After being away, the London temperature was too cold for my liking, but I was steadily warming back up at a steady pace. Once I finished my drink, I waved my farewell for now, before making my way to the back and tapping my wand on the right bricks to open up my way into the alley.
The entryway opened slowly but surely; revealing the most colorful, magical place that I spent a lot of my childhood; giving way to grey, bleakness when the war was on the way, and when the battles were waging. My final year was under way when the final battle at Hogwarts had taken place. My place in battle, along with all the others in my year had used it as our chance to use our D.A. Skills that we learned from Harry to the test and battle against the Death Eaters that which had and were trying to take over our school.
I walked along the way, making my way to Weasleys Wizard Wheezes, that which was founded by the Weasley twins, but not only owned by one. The untimely demise of Fred Weasley still weighs heavily on the family, and George still finds it hard to go on without his other half. But thankfully the store is still open and making good money. In one of the many owls Harry sent to me while I was away, he confided in feeling guilty for all the losses that had occurred at the cost of the war, and how the surviving Weasley twin was feeling insecure about the products he put out; the stress leading to depression, among other things. But he did marry to a ministry woman and was doing better which was well.
From my position outside the shop, I was able to watch Ron and Hermione as they searched through the crowd of students for me. Hermione had a swollen belly, and an impending due date for her and Ron’s first born. Ron was hovering over her, making sure his wife was okay; all the while impatiently looking through the throng of people for me. It was rather easy to sneak around them; so I approached them from the back as quietly as I could. My arms came to a rest on both of their shoulders as I sighed, “So, who’re we all looking for.” They had tensed up at my touch, both of their hands twitching for their wands but relaxed at the sound of my voice.
“Oh, no one, just one of our friends who had been away for about a year.” Hermione said somewhat sarcastically.
“Yeah, she skipped out on getting married to a abusive git, if you ask me.” Ron chimed in. “Good on her.” He added. After a pause, they both turned and hugged me close to them. Ron pulled away after a second so I could properly hug his very pregnant wife.
“When is the due date?” I asked, pulling away to rub my hand over the swollen baby bump.
“In about…a month give or take. It is never accurate.” Hermione waved her hand before resting it on her stomach. “It's going to be a girl through. Our little Rose.” She cooed fondly. Ron smiled at his wife and rested his hand over hers.
“We should be going, now. Everyone is waiting.” We followed him up a flight of stairs that was hidden off to the side, entering a tall wooden door to an office space that was occupied by George Weasley, who greeted me with a nod of his head before he left his office. “Don't mind him, he’s under a lot of stress but he will be present later on at the D.A. House.” Ron murmured; before clearing his throat and declaring that we would be using Floo powder as Hermione is too pregnant to apparate. I watched the both of them floo away before it was finally. My turn to grab a handful of floo powder and take my place in the fireplace such as they had. I copied their words and threw the powder down into the flames. The green flames licked at me and I was transported to my friends.
I stumbled out of the fireplace after a couple of seconds and landed in Harry's waiting arms. I smiled brightly and hugged him close. I finally had my best friend back, I was home, and even more importantly, I am now safe.

I was passed from person to person, all of them hugging me and expressing their fondness and happiness that I was finally back. It had been one year too long away from my home away from home. Molly Weasley was the last to approach me. The plump woman had not changed at all, and her face was stone cold as she took in my appearance. She sized me up, before pulling me into a bone-crushing hug.
“Don’t you ever do that me me again, do you understand me?” She whispered. I hugged her back and nodded that I had understood. She pulled back and looked at me once more, with a smile this time, and nodded her head back.

“Amber, you remember this little guy?” Ginny came forward holding orphaned Teddy Lupin. The small boy babbled and looked around at all the adults before him; eyes wide with wonder.
“Oh, little Teddy.” I held out my hands to hold him, although he cuddled closer to Ginny, looking at me with bright eyes, before they changed to match my blue orbs. He saw my bewilderment and laughter bubbled out his tiny frame. I smiled fondly, and we all finally decided to sit at the dining room table, all the while little Teddy was set up with his toy broom stick. The little one zoomed around, his laughter filling the house with his childish glee.

“How has Seamus been?” I asked once all was settled down. Everyone let out a breath, they had been expecting this question in particular.

“Seamus has been…different…”Ginny began slowly, carefully testing her words out on her tongue before proceeding. But Ron picked up where she left off.
“He is an entirely different person than what we knew him as, but you might not be a stranger to his behavior.” He sounded gruff, and older than his actual age. “Harry and I were at work, when we came across a case involving him.” Harry cleared his throat.

“Amber, we had just finished our Auror training, and were set to go on our first assignment, involving an armed man, and a number of people under one of the three curses. There was one causality, due to the killing curse. We were sent in as a form of back up for a more trained Auror, who was injured but thankfully made it.” Harry paused and took a deep breath. “ The armed man was Seamus. He is currently in Azakaban awaiting a trial, although all of us are sure he wont get out of this.” He looked to his wife and best friend for help on how to proceed. By this point, a hot cup of tea was set before me.
“Amber, we want you to testify in court all that he did to you.” Hermione finished off gently for the boys. I grabbed the cup of tea and let it warm up my hands. Drinking in their words.

“I don’t know if I can do that.” I finally said, looking up into each of their eyes. “He did some right nasty things to me, that I do not want to relive; nor do I want to give him any satisfaction of knowing he hurt me. If there's a way, any way I can help besides testifying in court; anyway I can put him away forever without seeing him. I will do it.” I promised, finally letting my eyes drop back to the cup of steaming liquid. Molly took the hint that it was too much and tried to push the conversation elsewhere, but it was a moot point, because George decided to finally get away from the shop. He had appeared with a leggy brunette being towed in hand. She seemed to be the quiet type because she muttered her greetings, then set about the paper work she had brought along.
“Sorry I’m late, I had to handle some business at the shop and Sam has been working on Finnigans’ case all day.” He huffed out. The woman called Sam flashed an apologetic smile to all at the table.
“I’m working really hard on gathering more evidence.” She cleared her throat. “His lawyer claims that he was under the Cruciatus curse, but no one believes that. I just want evidence that he wasn't under the curse.” She muttered darkly. All eyes but hers turned to me.
“I was the one who left him at the altar.” I coughed out awkwardly. Her head popped up and her eyes zeroed in on me. My own eyes widened in alarm.
“You could be the changing factor for this mess!” She exclaimed happily.
“I’m not exactly willing to testify in court.” I mumbled out. Her face then dropped and she continued to read through her files. I felt an immense sense of guilt; considering all the trouble she's going though, but I cannot help it. I am not yet willing to face the last year. “I’m sorry.” I muttered solemnly. Harry then took the hint and decided to get up, motioning for me to follow him as he showed me to my room.
“I think tomorrow would be a great time to possibly hang around Diagon Alley for the day tomorrow. You need something to take your mind off of things, and it would be a chance to catch up with some familiar faces. What do you say?” I looked at him and slightly made a face.
“You're going to baby sit me?” I wrinkled my nose in distaste.
“No, you can go alone, I am not your baby sitter.” Harry laughed. “I might just apparate along because the ministry is near by.” He explained. I nodded my approval, suddenly remembering that everyone had to work tomorrow, besides Hermione. At that note, I said goodnight and asked the black messy haired man to repeat my goodnight wishes to everyone else as well. He said he would, and left me to the room that which would always be mine in this house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone. I'm trying to come back to writing, I hope I gain momentum, keep the pace up, and eventually am able to finish a story. I want to start anew; doing my own thing. I don't want to try forcing it again. I want it to come naturally. And as it has been two years, I think it is time I fully commit to writing.
- Panda