Status: New

Like Fire in the Wind

Noor

46 Braemar Road, Manchester - Tuesday, August 28, 2017 - 12:36AM

A bus, a train, a train that drives underneath the Channel, another train and about six hours. That’s what Noor Goossens needs to get from her home in Bruges to her new home in Manchester. Her home for the coming year.

She comes to a halt in front of a red house. It has a white door with the number 46 craved in the little window above the door. She’s seen pictures of the inside of the house and it looks quite modern, but the facade is telling a different story. She crosses her fingers and hopes the pictures weren’t fake. She’s not prepared to live in a hovel for a year.

She rings the doorbell and hopes that someone is inside. She’s only spoken the owner on the phone and hasn’t seen him in real life form, since she had been on the other side of the Channel. So no one hasn’t given her a key yet.

The door swings open and a small, round man appears. He’s got rosy cheeks and he’s almost as large as he is tall. He smiles widely at Noor. “Welcome in Manchester, my dear,” he says enthusiastically with a thick British accent. “Come on in.”

She does as she’s told with a tight smile and a mumbled “Thanks.” She follows the man, who’s name is Rob Hayes, she remembers, into the house, dragging her suitcase behind her. She really wants to drop the thing somewhere, she’s been hauling it around for six hours now.

“Am I the first?” she asks, looking around. They have walked into what appears the be the lounge and the pictures really didn’t lie. It looks just as fancy and neat and she’s actually quite surprised. The student homes she’s stayed in before typically don’t look like that.

An enormous black couch covers the two of the three walls and on the opposite wall is an armchair in the same black material as the couch. Next to the armchair is the door they just walked through and other side of the door hang a flat screen television against the wall.

“Yes, dear,” Rob replies to her previous question. He walks out of the lounge and into what seems to the kitchen. “So here are the keys.” He points at seven keys laid out on the kitchen table. “Do you know already know which room you’ll be staying in?”

“Uh, the one with the most windows.”

“Here you go.” Rob hands her a key, which has a hanger with the number 5. “Your room is room number 5. It’s on the first floor, completely to the right. There are two bathrooms, one on the third floor with a toilet, shower and a sink, one on the first floor also with a toilet, a shower and a sink. There’s no bathroom on the ground floor, but please don’t wee in the sink.”

Noor gives him a tight smile, but Rob shakes his head. “I probably should say that to the boys instead of you. Okay, then no smoking inside, try to clean once in a while, do your dishes and try not to break the house down.”

Noor smiles. “That won’t be a problem,” she says. “How many boys will there be?”

“Oh, let’s see.” Rob seems to need to think quite hard. “Three if I remember correctly. None of them British. Actually, none of you lot are from around here. All from some other country.”

“Really? That’s funny,” Noor replies, but to be honest it doesn’t really matter to her.

“Well, I’ll let you settle in. The others should be here soon as well,” he tells her. Noor thanks him and grabs her suitcase for the last time before finally unpacking it. “First floor on the right,” Rob calls after her as she heads for the stairs and she rolls with her eyes at his comment.

She heads up the stairs, dragging her suitcase behind her, not really caring how hard it bangs against the steps. When she reaches the top she looks around the landing for a bit before heading to a door on her right.

The room is indeed very light. When she opens the door she finds a closet on her right and on the left is the bed. A double bed that probably even fits three people in it. On the opposite wall of the door is a long wooden desk and a small flat screen tv. There are also two big windows.

She releases the handle of her suitcase and goes to sit down on the bed. She’s surprised to see that it’s already made. She falls back on the soft covers and closes her eyes for a bit. Even though she had to sit down on trains all day, she stills feels like she walked a hundred miles.

After a while she hears the doorbell ring and Rob opening the door. He greets the newcomer just as enthusiastically as he greeted Noor. She hears them talking until they disappear into the lounge. The new voice definitely belonged to a guy.

She doesn’t move, though. She’s lying quite comfortably. There’ll be plenty of time to meet her housemates. Right now she just wants to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey there

Okay, so I've put this first chapter up to kind of test the waters. I really don't know if anyone's going to read this or not. I haven't posted anything in ages on this profile and I deleted all my old stories (they were mainly fan fics and I don't really like that anymore, I actually find it kind of weird). So this kind of a fresh start.

But anyway, if you're reading this and you're digging it, you probably shouldn't expect any updates soon. I'm still figuring this story out a little. It's mainly about seven students who come from differents parts of the world and they're all in Manchester living together in a house (I've put a character page if you want to check that out) and they're just going through stuff most people in their early twenties go through (I can relate, I am in my early twenties (:). So yeah, no updates soon because I have exams all of January, but from then on I hope to write a lot. Well see, I guess

Anyway, you can leave your thoughs, that'd be really nice (:

- Sanne