Status: New

Like Fire in the Wind

Finn

46 Braemar Road, Manchester - Tuesday, August 28, 2017 - 1:13PM

Finn Svendsen’s eyes are barely focused on the man in front of him. He’s just rambling on with a very thick British accent and Finn only understands half of what he is saying. He knows he should probably listen to what he is saying, because this is the owner of the house and he should probably know what he can and can’t do.

But he’s just been on a two hour plane ride from Oslo to Manchester. He knows it isn’t that long, but planes make him nauseous and it’s definitely not his favourite way to travel. So he doesn’t feel too well and it would be welcome if the guy would shut up now. He realizes he doesn’t even know his name.

“You should probably go and settle in.” The words slowly make their way through Finn’s eardrums and into his brain until he is able to comprehend them. He blinks a few times to focus on the owner’s face and then nods his head.

“Yeah, sure,” he says, getting up from the kitchen chair. “Which room is mine?”

The owner smiles at him and points at the table with a bunch of keys lying on the surface. “Whichever you want,” he says. “Except for room 5, because the one is already occupied.” He snorts at that, but it’s really not that funny.

“One on the top floor?” The sentence comes out as a question. He doesn’t know which room he wants, he hasn’t seen any of the rooms. But it seems to be enough for the owner as he hands him a key. Finn thanks him and then heads up the stairs.

When he reaches the first floor and turns for the second staircase, he stops for a second. His eyes land on the number 5. He remembers the owner telling him that room 5 is already occupied and his curiosity gets the best of him.

He leaves his suitcase at the bottom of the stairs and knocks softly on the door. He waits several seconds, but there’s no reply nor anyone answering the door. He wonders if the person is even inside, but he can’t really think of any other place for them to be.

His hand hovers over the doorknob for a second, but then he changes his mind. It would be rude to go into the room of someone he doesn’t even know. He should probably wait until he runs into them or something.

He retreats his steps and goes to grab his suitcase again to continue his way up to his room. His room is long and small with two veluxes illuminating it. The bed is immediately on his right when he walks in. He lets go of his suitcase again and drops down on it.

As he sits down and stares at the wall he wonders what it’ll be like living with six people, people he’s never met before. It feels a little weird to him, since they’re all strangers, but he guesses he’ll get to know them quickly enough since they’re all living together. He just hopes they’re nice people.

He wonders if it was the right choice to come all the way to Manchester in only his second year of college. A lot of people from Norway go study in Stockholm or Copenhagen when they don’t stay in Norway, but he’s never met anyone who’s come all the way to England.

And it’s a big change. He’s never been all that good with change. He’s known most of his friends since Ungdomsskole1, some even since Barneskole2. But now he’s making the biggest change of all, moving to a completely different country with not knowing anyone at all.

And even though it makes him a little uneasy, it’s also quite exciting.
♠ ♠ ♠
1Ungdomsskole: is lower secondary school, ages 13-16
2Barneskole: is primary school, ages 6–13

Hey there

As I expected not many people have read the story so far, but that's okay. It's actually more than I first expected!

I know not much is happening so far, but I kind of need to introduce people, I feel. But I hope I'll be able to make the next one a little more eventful. For example, they're all going to meet each other.

Let me know what you think!

- Sanne