Flowermouth & the Leech

Leech

I woke to my alarm ringing in my ears instead of the usual yelling. Listening closer, the whole house was silent, a rarity for my family. Peeking out of my window, I didn’t see anyone’s car except for mine. I didn’t hear my parent’s loud cars leaving the driveway but Quetiapine would do that to you. I fell back into my warm sheets, breathing in deeply and enjoying the quiet. My nostrils filled with the clean smell of my blanket; bleach and fabric softener. I buried myself deeper in my covers for a few minutes before deciding I better get up so I wouldn’t be late for school.

I went about my morning routine but for once taking my time and enjoying the things I did. I never got to actually sit down and enjoy what I was eating due to how chaotic it usually was in my house, I always had to be out of the way, out of sight and out of mind. I spend the majority of my meals in the isolation of my bedroom, trying to mute out the screaming and thumping with music. Today, with the absence of my family, I got to enjoy my usual mug of hot chocolate and two pieces of toast. After cleaning up my dishes, I went to the bathroom I shared with my younger sibling to turn on the hot water. I quickly washed my body down and dampened my curly hair, leaving a lavender scented fog hanging in the bathroom.

Another thing I got to take slowly was my makeup. Ever since middle school and I was allowed to start wearing makeup I used it as a tool to hide behind. My eye makeup was always usually exaggerated and heavy with dark shadows and heavy liner, making all of my family compliment me and tell me I should go to beauty school.

School. I am in high school and at my school, my makeup also got me attention, girls would would usually never look twice at me would compliment me on it, asking me how I learned how to do makeup so flawlessly. I would just shrug, prompting them to think I was rude and never talk to me again. By my junior year, I had a small group of friends and the rest of the school had an idea of me in their heads that was hard to shake.

I was that bitchy goth girl. Avoid at all costs.