Spirit: The Familiar

Chapter Ten

When Carina woke up, she noted that she was alone in the room. Adam had probably already gone off to his first class. Carina's classes didn't start until later in the day, and there were only two of them for the day anyway. She sat up groggily, scratching the back of her head.

What were those two classes again?

She stood up out of bed, untangling herself from her warm cocoon of blankets. The bright rays of sunlight streaming in through the window above her bed made her bring her arm up over her eyes. She made her way over to her desk, where her schedule was sat. She picked it up off the desk and looked it over again.

First was Intro to Familiars, and then Gardening. Gardening was a class? She shrugged; Carina knew she would enjoy the class anyway. She would want time to take care of a garden. It was just what she had gotten used to, having lived out in the woods. She had to supply her own ingredients.

Would she be allowed to use the ingredients she grew for personal use, and not just inside classes? She'd ask the professor when the time came.

Carina looked at the first class again. Her eyes widened. The time listed there was only fifteen minutes from then.

"Well, crap," she muttered under her breath.

Carina scrambled to get ready. She brushed her hair quickly, changed out of her pajamas- peered out the window to make sure no one could see her. In that moment she was glad for the privacy, though there was the bathroom she hadn't looked at...

She pulled on a clean robe, and settled her hat into place. She kept her hair down, allowing it to cascade over her shoulders and down her back. She smiled and then grabbed up the couple of text books she would need, and then left the room.

Where was the building located? She looked down at the schedule again. Ten minute walk. She would have to hurry.

She practically ran the whole way there, holding onto her hat to make sure it wouldn't fly away. She almost bumped into a few other students along the way, muttering apologies as she went.

She was out of breath when she made it to the building. Out of shape, she thought to herself. At least there was a gym class listed in her scheduling. That would definitely prove useful, if being almost late was going to be a habit of hers. She felt that it might be.

Alex, Christopher, and Angie were there waiting- along with a few other students. Carina gasped.

"Hey!" the three said as she made her way over.

"It's good to see you again!" Angie said.

"Where have you been?" Christopher asked. "Why didn't you come back sooner?"

"I, well, I was just busy," Carina said. She smiled weakly at Alex. He threw his arm over her shoulders.

"No more questions! We can catch up later. Right, Carina?" Alex winked at her.

"Yeah," she smiled. "Um, I have a couple hours after this class before my next one begins? We could go eat lunch at the cafe?"

"Sounds good," Christopher said. Angie nodded in agreement.

A few more students entered the room, and soon the professor followed.

"Everyone, take a seat," the professor said, moving to the end of the room. There was a large blackboard on the wall, and before it was a large desk with a comfortable looking leather chair. "Go on, any seat. Doesn't matter. If sitting with your friends proves to be a problem, then we'll get to the assigned seats."

Everyone in the room took a seat at the desks provided, in the somewhat uncomfortable plastic chairs no classroom was complete without. Carina of course sat with her friends.

"My name is David Diggory, but you will refer to me as professor Diggory," the professor said. He pushed his glasses up his nose. "Today we will begin the two-week course: Intro to Familiars. After which you will move onto the real deal. As long as you can keep up."

He pulled open a drawer on his desk, and pulled something out of it. He then threw the rather thick textbook onto his desk, and flipped it open to a random page. Carina looked down at her similar textbook.

"Open your books to page 232, where we shall begin," he said.

Carina did so, looking over at her friends to watch them do the same. At the top of the page, in a very loopy cursive was, "Origin of the Familiar." That would prove interesting to learn about, Carina thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm trying to get back into writing this. I'm not gonna lie, it's difficult.