Spirit: The Familiar

Chapter Thirteen

"Were you completely alone, when you were living out in the woods?" Angie asked.

The group had already settled in, placed their orders, and received their orders. They had only just started eating. Carina took another sip of her iced tea.

"Well, no, not really," Carina said. She smiled at Angie. "I mean, I lived on my own, yes. But I still had company. I would go into the nearby town, to buy stuff. And to socialize. It does get kind of crazy when you live by yourself in the woods. You know, kind of lonely."

"I would suspect," Angie sighed. Her eyes became slightly glossy, and Carina could only assume that Angie was daydreaming about the possibility of freedom like that.

"Well, anyway," Carina sighed and continued. "I had a few- acquaintances, I guess. No actual friends. Just people I would talk to, whenever I made a trip into the town. And it was really mostly just to buy things, like seeds for the garden... Herbs that I wasn't successful with growing. And to eat on occasion. I'm not the best chef, if I'm honest."

"That makes sense," Alex said. There was laughter in his eyes when Carina looked up at him. "I'm glad you weren't completely alone."

"Thanks," Carina said. She smiled at him. "So. Anyway. Mostly I just- grew stuff. And experimented. I practiced what magic I had memorized. I wrote my own little books. I actually successfully created a couple of spells, myself. I- I don't have my books with me. So unfortunately I can't go over them."

"That's awesome," Christopher said. "One of the professors has always told me... that I mean, getting the words right is good. But it's all about intent and ingredients, really! So you actually managed to create a spell... Somehow, you seem more advanced than us, even though you dropped out of school and went out to practice on your own."

"You're taking after the Grand Elder," Angie whispered. All heads turned to her. "Well, it's no secret that he's one of the greatest witches in existence, currently. He himself has practiced magic on his own for so many years. He never went to school- never had the opportunity that we have these days. Well, he is really so much older than us... Older than my great grandfather..."

"What?" Carina said.

"No one knows how old the Grand Elder really is," Angie shrugged. She stirred her coffee with a tiny spoon.

Carina sat on that thought a moment, chewing her sandwich. That was an interesting thought. All the time she had spent with the Grand Elder, and yet she really didn't know that much about him. He wasn't really one for talking about his past- just making sure that he raised Carina properly. Made sure Carina stayed in school. Well, that worked out well.

Carina took another couple of bites from her sandwich. When she looked back up Christopher was staring at her with great intensity. She stared at him wide-eyed.

"What?" she asked when she finally finished chewing and swallowed.

"Well, I still- want to know what it's like to actually be able to see your familiar," Christopher said. His voice was quiet; he seemed to be somewhere far away. "I mean we are at the age where you start seeing your familiar, usually. But most of us need some prior training to be able to see them. And yet here you are... Dropped out of school for several years... Created your own spell... And you can see your familiar already. You must be some kind of special."

"Oh, don't say that," Carina laughed. She waved the thought off. "There's no way I'm anything special. I'm just a witch, striving to be like anyone else. I just want to be good at what I do. You know? Doesn't everyone?"

"I suppose," Alex cut in. He picked around at the fries on his plate, before chucking one in his mouth. He chewed and then made eye contact with Carina. "But what if you are special?"

"Please," Carina rolled her eyes.

They laughed, and Carina continued to eat her sandwich. There were a few quiet moments then, everyone was taking time to eat their lunch.

"I'm no more special than any of you," Carina spoke again. "Well. Really, my familiar showed up the way they usually do, I suppose... I have this uneasy feeling; it hasn't gone away, and I thought about coming here to seek some kind of comfort I guess. And this beautiful cat appeared... I wasn't sure whether or not I should go, but this cat appeared to have led me all the way here. And here I am. Though I haven't seen the cat since yesterday."

"Wow," Christopher said. "Still that's amazing. Does that mean I don't need any guidance just yet?"

"Maybe," Carina shrugged. She took another sip of her tea. "And I still haven't got the answers I need. The Grand Elder is being secretive, and it's kind of annoying. I'm actually- thinking about going to see him maybe. I think I have time, before my next class."

"You're going to be leaving us?" Angie pouted. "Come on, we've been apart for years. Let's just enjoy this time for now? You can talk to him tomorrow."

"But I'll be a bit more busy tomorrow," Carina sighed.

"I say you should go for it," Alex said. "Or maybe wait on your familiar. Are they around at all? They are a guide, after all."

Carina looked around. He was right; if she was needing the answer, it was possible her familiar was around to help her find it. Green and blue eyes met her gaze. Carina jumped slightly. There she was: that cat.

"Guys, she's here," Carina said. She grabbed up her sandwich, wrapping it in a couple of napkins from off the table. "I've gotta go! I'm going to chase it, to wherever it leads me."

"Wait, Carina," Angie called after her.

She stood up from the table as well, but didn't chase. Carina waved at her friends as she left. She gave them an apologetic smile.

"I'll catch up with you guys again later, or tomorrow!" Carina said.

She followed the cat out of the cafe.