Spirit: The Familiar

Chapter Two

She flew over the treetops with ease, enjoying the gentle breeze that blew across her. It was warm, despite the cold look of the sky around her. She saw a flash of light, and then not too long after there was thunder. Carina let out a sigh; she would only be able to travel so far by broomstick. She pushed to fly faster. She needed to get to the nearest train station as fast as possible, unless she wanted to become fried witch.

It only took her about fifteen minutes to finally reach the train station, and luckily the sky had only lightly sprinkled rain down on her. She was safe from a lightning strike for another day.

As she landed, people made room for her- some in robes and pointed hats like her, others dressed casually. She smiled in greeting to anyone she made eye contact with.

And there they were again; the black cat with the gorgeous eyes. Carina assumed it was a female cat- she just felt like it had to be. She watched the cat stare at her from the entrance to the station. It blinked once, twice, and then stood and wandered through the glass sliding doors. Carina gasped and made sure to follow after it as quickly as possible.

She nearly lost sight of the cat, looking around through the small crowds of people for it. Then she caught a glimpse of those eyes once more. The cat sat at the open doorway of the train headed toward the Capitol. Carina smiled.

Was this what they called 'Familiar'? An animal to guide you in times you might need it... She was finally seventeen, after all. She could finally start seeing hers. This had to be it.

The cat blinked at her again, as if to say, 'Well? Are you coming?' Before it boarded the train. No one batted an eye, though Carina supposed no one cared whether or not animals were let on the train. Familiars were precious creatures.

Carina raced to the train, and was stopped.

"Identification?" the man dressed in a red suit asked.

Carina looked up at him; he was a good foot or two taller than her. She let out a deep sigh and then fished through her pockets. Finally she found what she was looking for: her ID card. She handed it to the man, who glanced over it quickly before handing it back to her.

"Alright, miss Carina," he greeted with a nod of his head. "You're free to board- ticket paid for."

"Oh," Carina gasped.

She had forgotten that because of the Grand Elder her passage to anywhere she desired usually ended up being free. She grinned up at the man sheepishly and scratched the back of her head. The man did not smile back. Carina took that as another sign, and stepped past the man.

She looked for that cat again. But it was nowhere to be found. A slight feeling of disappointment rolled through her. There would always be next time... Perhaps for today that was as far as the animal was meant to guide her. Carina shrugged and took a seat next to an elderly lady, her back straight as she clutched tightly onto her broom.

She was finally headed back.