Spirit: The Familiar

Chapter Twenty One

They were waiting outside the Grand Elder's quiet room. He and a few other people of importance were in there, meditating. Gabriel had explained to Carina along the way that there were things they now needed to discuss with the Grand Elder, including the reason why he had called her the next Protector. He gave no further explanation than that.

Carina looked up at Gabriel out of the corner of her eye. He was really tall, probably close to a foot taller than her, and he had quite a nice profile. He cleared his throat as if he had caught her staring, and she shook her head and quickly returned her attention to the door before them. Carina took in a deep breath and released it slowly. There was a tingling she felt through her veins and in her toes and fingertips; a sign hopefully that she was going to get the answers she had been waiting to hear.

She looked back up at Gabriel again, this time turning her whole body to face him. Even though he hadn't said a word since his explanation, she felt compelled to press him for answers. Waiting for the Grand Elder was pushing her a bit too far for the moment. They had been standing there about twenty minutes.

"Hey," Carina said. Gabriel only glanced at her, but that was acknowledgement enough for her. "You say you've been watching me for ages. And that you've only just shown yourself because I started feeling that... horrible- I don't even know how to properly describe it. I just- can you enlighten me? What is this feeling about?"

Gabriel glanced at her again, his eyes lingering on her small frame for longer that time. He pursed his lips and ran a hand through his dark hair, tousling it more than it already had been. After a few seconds of considering, which felt like hours to Carina, he let out a slow breath.

"I think it would be better for the Grand Elder to explain it to you," he said. Carina slumped a little. "You've known him far longer than you've known me. It will be better for someone you're comfortable around to tell you of your future."

"My future," Carina whispered. She looked back to the door again. She was starting to think that she was no longer an ordinary witch like her friends. Even so she shook her head, not wanting to grow too conceited, and reluctantly returned to waiting on the Grand Elder.

It didn't take too much longer for the door to come slowly open, a small group of people steadily flowing out through it one by one. Carina and Gabriel stepped to the sides to allow their passage, and they each greeted the two and said farewells before taking their leave. When the last one had made their leave, Carina impatiently peeked into the room to confirm that just the Grand Elder was whom remained inside.

She entered the room with a wave from him. Gabriel followed her in after, shutting the door behind them with a nearly silent click. The Grand Elder had a wide grin on his face at the sight of the two.

"Peter," Gabriel greeted with a bow. The Grand Elder bowed his head in return.

"Gabriel," he said. Carina looked between the two. Had she ever heard his name spoke before? She couldn't recall. "And Carina. Congratulations are in order; you have finally captured this troublesome beast. And at an earlier age than I did." Gabriel protested at what the Grand Elder had called him.

"Me, troublesome!?" Gabriel said. He gestured at both the Grand Elder and Carina. "Excuse me! But both of you are the real troublesome ones here! You never made my job very easy, Peter. I love you like a son, but you were still one hell of a wild one- back in the day. And this girl here, she thought I was a girl!"

Gabriel gestured to the pink collar around his neck then. The Grand Elder brought his hand up to his mouth to stifle his laughter, and Carina struggled to fight back her own giggles.

"Hey! That's not funny!" Gabriel yelled. He turned to Carina suddenly. "I want a new collar. I demand a new collar."

"Impossible," the Grand Elder said, finally having gotten his laughter under control. He waved his hand. "You know how these things work. You are stuck with that collar until your next assignment."

Gabriel groaned and sat down on one of the pillows in the room. Carina couldn't help but smirk at the 'troublesome' cat- man. The smirk fell when she recalled why she had come, the uneasy feeling swirling around within her an unwelcome reminder.

"Grand Elder," she said, turning to him. She gave a curtsy to show respect, and the Grand Elder bowed his head to her in response. "I- I really need answers."

He considered her for a moment before nodding and briefly closing his eyes. He let out a deep, slow sigh before opening his eyes again.

"Of course," he said. He glanced over to Gabriel. "You have been deemed ready enough for the times to come, I would suppose. I would have hoped that you could have enjoyed your childhood a bit longer. But now comes time for true hardships, I fear."