Spirit: The Familiar

Chapter Twenty Five

The screaming and shouting started soon after the loud crack had sounded, as Carina and Gabriel exited the dorm room. They ran down the hall, stumbling as the world quaked around them. Carina fell into the wall and nearly to the floor, but Gabriel grabbed hold of her and assisted her back up. Fear and excitement coursed through Carina.

Fear of what was coming, excitement for what she was to discover. The new 'Spirit' awaited her- and she had a sense for where this Spirit was. There was what felt like a compass within Carina, tugging her toward the young girl from her vision. She held on tightly to Gabriel's hand.

"You're going to have to put a lot of trust and faith into me," Gabriel warned her. "We haven't had time to train together, and I'm not sure how strong your abilities are just yet- but we have a bond now. Through that bond, you are supposed to be able to borrow my strength for your magic, but I will be borrowing yours instead."

"I- what for?" Carina started. She would have made an attempt to pull her hand from his, had they not been in a rush to get to where the tugging was pulling her.

"Where did you see her?" Gabriel asked instead, ignoring her questioning. "What were her surroundings like?"

"I- it was like, some sort of- forest? Or jungle?" Carina said. Her mind spun as she tried to bring the memory back to the front. "But there are a lot of forests around here- and all over the world, really. How much good is that going to do us?"

"Trust me," Gabriel said simply.

He dragged her along further, leading the way this time. Carina allowed him to. She felt she didn't have much of a choice. She had to trust him, after all, and he seemed to know something he wasn't telling her.

They passed by several panicked students on their way to wherever Gabriel was leading her. Carina didn't catch any sign of her friends, but she was certain they were most likely elsewhere at the time. A few of them attempted to stop them and ask what was going on, but they were brushed aside by Gabriel.

Finally they exited the dorm building, and Gabriel paused for a moment. He tilted his head up and sniffed the air before continuing to drag Carina on. He pulled them along until they were out in the street, where large cracks ran through the stone- opening up to darkness below in some areas. Carina stared down one of the ravines.

"This- this is because of-" she started, but she was cut off.

"Morgana, and the hatching of the new Spirit," Gabriel said. "Morgana is powerful, as we all know. And the hatching generates a lot of energy as well."

Carina nodded. Gabriel peered down the same ravine, and a feeling of unease settled into Carina's stomach.

"Do you trust me?" Gabriel asked. She didn't quite fully trust him, but she knew he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Yes," she whispered. She stared down the ravine as well.

Gabriel pulled Carina close suddenly. He tilted her head up toward his, and leaned his face down toward hers. While his eyes shut when their faces were a couple inches apart, Carina's eyes widened fully. Their lips met and Carina felt a power stir within her that she hadn't known was there.

When Gabriel pulled back, he opened his eyes- eyes that had taken on a pastel blue glow. Carina gasped and attempted to step back, but Gabriel's grip still held. And then he was jumping, pulling them both down the ravine.