Spirit: The Familiar

Chapter Three

The train ride there was dull and fairly uneventful. Carina found herself gazing out the window from her seat for most of the way there. The passing trees and buildings were beautiful, and the closer and closer she got to the Capitol the more extravagant the buildings became. The further she got into the city she lived in, the older the buildings were. They had of course been very well taken care of. The original beauty of the city was left untouched. Carina smiled at that.

The train pulled to a stop at several different stations along the way. Obviously Carina did not get off until she recognized the Capitol station they were pulling into. She readied herself, standing up once the train came to a full stop and the doors opened.

Now she was back home. She was back where she had run away from. And that didn't help her feel any less nervous. Many would more than likely recognize her face, and she hoped that no one would send her glares or anything like that. She fidgeted as she walked off the train, looking around and tugging her hat down over her face a little.

No one appeared to even notice her arrival. All the people there were too wrapped up in their own little worlds. For that Carina was thankful.

It was then that she saw those dazzling eyes again. They stared at her from one of the doorways leading out of the station, and into the heart of the city itself. She gasped at the sight.

"Kitty!" she exclaimed.

A few people turned their heads toward her for a moment, but otherwise remained unaware of her presence. Carina mentally cursed herself and reminded herself not to do things like that in public. It was just plain weird, even for a witch.

The cat seemed to almost grin before turning and running off through the doorway. Carina followed as quickly as she could, showing her ID to the person standing guard there before she continued. There were so many precautions set in place, she noticed. Perhaps it was because necromancy had recently become illegal?

She followed the cat down the alleyway there. It was beautiful and dimly lit by the setting sun in the sky. The sun? The clouds must not have reached there yet, or had avoided the Capitol altogether.

Eventually Carina lost sight of the cat, following it around the streets. She was stopped just outside the Grand Elder's home. The cat had to have been encouraging her choice to return for sure. Carina took a deep breath, and slowly reached out a small fist to knock on the large wooden door.

A few knocks later she could hear footsteps slowly approach from the other side. The feeling in the pit of her stomach grew just that much more intense. Carina wished she had brought some kind of potion, or herb to calm herself. But that would probably have done her no good anyway. This was a feeling she knew could not just be made to go away through some herbal remedy.

The door opened, revealing a tall woman behind it. Her hair was graying, much like the Grand Elder's was. This was the Grand Elder's second in command: Alaina.

"Carina," the woman greeted. There was a smile on her face that crinkled the corners of her eyes. Carina smiled back at the woman.

"Miss Alaina," Carina gave a short curtsy. She nearly dropped her broomstick, and she adjusted the way she held it before looking back up at the old lady. "I-I know I left without goodbyes..."

"Come in, child," Alaina hushed her with a finger on her lips. She stepped aside, allowing Carina enough room to step through. "Whatever your reasons, the Grand Elder has only been worried about you for the time you were gone. There have been no bad words spoken of you. We all just wondered where you went."

Carina hopped up the step, and into the cozy home. It had been so long since she had stepped foot inside... She closed her eyes as Alaina shut the door behind her, and Carina drew in a slow breath. It still smelled the same.

She opened her eyes again and watched as Alaina made her way over to the fireplace.

"I couldn't- I didn't feel like the new practice of necromancy was right," Carina said. "It just... It upset the balance of things, I could feel it."

"We soon discovered that, as well," Alaina said. There was a frown on her face when she looked over at Carina, over her shoulder. She turned her attention back to the fire and struck a match. Slowly fire bloomed within the hearth. "The practice has been taboo for a while now. You need not worry."

"So I've heard," Carina sighed. She set her broomstick by the door before moving further into the room.

"So why haven't you come back, then?" Alaina asked. She stood tall again.

"I-I guess I felt ashamed," Carina said. "I just... I really did leave without so much as a word, to anybody. And I felt like I had betrayed everyone by just abandoning them. It's hard to explain really."

"You haven't betrayed anyone," Alaina said. "Though the Grand Elder has always been more lenient with you- he's always had a soft spot for you."

Carina smiled at that.

"He did take me in as his adoptive daughter," she nodded. "It was rather kind of him. Strange, but kind. I... I actually came here for guidance. And I guess I wouldn't mind being able to partake in classes again."

"You are always welcome to rejoin," Alaina said. "Though you might need to hear that from the Grand Elder himself before actually coming to that conclusion. Come this way. He is in his quiet room."

Carina followed Alaina down the hall. A slight relieved feeling ate away partially at the feeling of unease.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is a day late, because my internet was down yesterday.