Spirit: The Familiar

Chapter Eight

Adam was seemingly waiting for Carina when she made it back to their dorm. He looked up at her from his bed, a different book that time open in his lap. He shut the book and stood to make his way over to Carina.

"Hey, you're back! That was quick," he said.

"Yeah, well..." Carina trailed off and scratched the back of her neck.

"What did you do, anyway?" Adam asked.

Carina wondered whether or not she should tell him. Would he know much about familiars at his age? There was probably a lot that had changed about the academy. She had no idea what kind of classes the little boy was taking. Kids his age weren't typically learning about familiars quite yet.

"Well..." Carina sighed. "I actually have just recently started seeing what I think is my familiar," Carina said. Her eyes glazed over slightly as she recalled her brief discussion with the Grand Elder. "The Grand Elder also thinks so..."

"Wow!" Adam was watching her with fascination alight in his eyes. Carina smiled and patted him on the head. "Hey," he protested.

"Well, kid," she said.

"My name isn't kid," Adam said.

"Does your next class start soon?" Carina ignored him. "Do you mind if I tag along?"

Adam looked away. His eyebrows furrowed and he pouted, crossing his arms. Carina tilted her head to the side as she watched his behaviour.

"Fine, but the professors might not appreciate it," Adam grumbled. He looked back up at her again with his fists clenched in front of him. "Just stop calling me kid. Also, my classmates are all my age. Won't you feel awkward?"

"Oh, well," Carina shrugged. "I have a bit to catch up on. A little refresher won't hurt much. Besides, I can be like a mentor to you kids."

Adam grumbled as he walked out the door. Carina followed him, and shut the door behind them. The walk there was filled with questions about any possible changes made to the academy during her absence. There weren't too many, just a few additions to the buildings. New rooms, new bridges to connect the buildings for easier travel between classes. Carina was amazed that they would change the structure of the old city.

Finally when they reached their destination, Carina awkwardly explained to the two professors teaching the class that she was just sitting in for one day. She wanted to observe the materials being taught.

The class was right up her alley. They were learning about different herbs and flowers, and what uses there were for them. Carina grinned as she took notes here and there. There were a few herbs she needed to refresh her memory of. The class lasted about an hour, and when it finally let out Carina followed Adam.

He looked up at her expectantly.

"Did you enjoy it? Even though it's below your level," he asked.

"Yeah, I did," she nodded, still smiling. "Hey, kid. I've gotta ask. What's your talent?"

"Oh," he said. "I'm an earth mage! I'm not quite like you. I don't have such a connection with nature. I can just manipulate the earth is all."

"I see," Carina said. She chuckled a little. "I'll enjoy teaching you what I can."

"You wanna come with me to my next class?" he offered. "We're learning how to move earth with our powers today. And it's the last class of the day."

"Alright," Carina nodded. "That does sound interesting. I never got to properly manipulate earth myself."

"What!?" the boy said. "But you're older than me! And you were older than me still, when you left! I've heard so much about you! I thought you'd be cooler..."

"Hey!" Carina laughed. "I am still pretty cool. Look!" She started to make a silly face and move her arms in an odd way, showing off invisible muscles. The kid burst into laughter.

"That's not cool, that's weird," he said. "Come on, or we're going to be late!"

"Okay, okay," Carina agreed. "You lead the way, kid!"

She followed him along to one of the green houses in the city. It was one of the larger ones, as well as being one of the older ones. Carina was amazed at the condition they had kept it in.

Soon enough more kids Adam's age wandered in, as did a tall woman who must have been the professor there. Carina walked up to her and explained her reasons for being there. The professor seemed a little skeptical, but did not tell Carina that she had to leave. For that she was thankful for.

"Alright, class," the professor spoke. "Today we'll be learning how to manipulate the earth, as I promised last week. I know we've been studying it for some time now, and that it must have been so tedious to continue with those studies. But it was all for good reason. Are you ready?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I have up to chapter fifteen written, but it's been about three weeks since I last actually wrote a chapter... Feeling a bit disappointed in myself.