Spirit: The Familiar

Chapter Nine

Carina struggled with her control. The earth would not move easily for her, even though when she glanced over to Adam he was having better luck. She felt defeated; someone younger than her and newer to the craft was able to do what she couldn't. Adam looked over to her and saw her struggling.

"Hey, don't give up, Carina," he said. He smiled at her, and lowered his hands. The small chunk of earth he had lifted fell slowly back to the ground. "Come on, posture! Like Professor Demi said!"

Adam spread his feet apart, knees bent slightly, with his back straight. Slowly he hunched over a little. He raised his arms, palms facing outward with his wrists crossed over each other. Carina did her best to mimic his movements.

In all honesty, she had forgotten that there were specific moves to perform for beginners, in order to help them gain control over their abilities. She breathed a quiet sigh.

"Alright, now like this!" Adam said. He lowered his hands, until they faced the ground. "Earth, I command you, bend to my will."

When he raised his hands, the same small chunk of earth lifted into the air with his movements. Carina deflated. It was in that moment that she realized why she couldn't do it, not the way he was. She couldn't command the earth.

"Oh," she sighed.

"What's wrong?" Adam asked. He straightened his posture, while remaining control over the floating earth.

"I just can't do it like that," Carina said. "I'm- I have more of a connection to the earth. I can't just demand it to do as I ask. I have to figure out another way."

"Oh, right," Adam nodded his head. "Well, you could ask it?"

Carina mimicked the earlier posture. She aimed her open palms toward the earth...

What would she say? Just plain asking the earth to help her out would feel a bit weird. It didn't feel right. She rolled her tongue around in her mouth as she tried to find the right words.

"Hear me, earth, and work with me for this great purpose," she whispered.

When she raised her hands, a chunk of earth did not lift with them. Instead a strange vine plant burst from the ground, growing ever upward as she raised her hands. Carina's eyes widened. She looked to the professor for help.

"Impressive!" the professor said as she walked over to them. Adam mumbled words of awe as well. "But for students your age, this is a basic magic."

"I-" Carina looked back at what she had done. She wiggles her fingers, and thought... The vines stretched outward, off to the sides. "I didn't know I could do this. All I'd been doing- while I was away- was growing plants, the normal way. Except I could speed up the process by talking with them and singing to them."

The professor put her hand on her hip and smirked. She placed her free hand on Carina's shoulder.

"Incredible," Demi said. "You are a nature mage. There aren't many of you out in the world."

"Well," Carina said. "How do I- put it back?"

"Just the same way you brought it here," Demi nodded her head. "You have a special relationship with the earth. All you have to do is tell it that you no longer need its help."

"Okay," Carina said. She turned toward the vine plant.

Once again she struggled with the words. Would she even need words? She concentrated on her intent. In her mind she thought she no longer needed the assistance from the earth. She lowered her hands, and slowly the plant returned into the dirt there.

There was applause. Carina looked around, to see that the whole class was clapping. Her cheeks flushed with heat.

"That was awesome!" Adam said. "I wish I could do something like that."

"I-I think I'm going to head back to the dorm now," Carina said. She didn't want to deal with anymore of the embarrassment, the recognition from the younger class around her.

"Really? You don't want to stay and hang out?" Adam asked.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I can help mentor you a bit later?"

"Okay," Adam nodded. He still looked dejected.

Carina patted him on the head, and then turned toward the professor. She bowed before Demi, whose eyes widened in surprise.

"Thank you for letting me participate in the class today," Carina said. She straightened back up and looked at Demi.

"Of course," Demi nodded. She smiled, and her eyes held laughter in them. "Any time. I think I will be seeing you tomorrow, in the proper age group this time. And we'll learn more about your abilities. There are ten others like you still here at this academy."

"I look forward to meeting them," Carina bowed again. "See you later, Adam!"

She said goodbye to the rest of the class as well, and then turned to leave. That was enough excitement for one day, she thought. But she would still be assisting Adam with whatever course work he had to do. She'd look her list of classes over again for now.

She didn't see anymore of the cat for the rest of the day. A deep frown settled onto her face; that cat and the discovery of her magic had been the highlights of her day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't been on. Life has been really hectic. I have up to chapter fifteen finished, so I'll try to remember to update until I run out of chapters.