Status: Completed

The Internship

Welcome to Forks: Too Green, Too Rainy

I had finally reached the little town that would be my home for the next year or so, until I could escape to college. My fingers drummed on my steering wheel to the music.
“If you’re lost and alone, and you’re sinking like a stone, carry on…” I sang along, smiling lightly. I loved this song. I noticed the welcome sign on the road.
Welcome to Forks
Population: 3,100

Prepare to make that 3,101, I thought, frowning. I hated this town. It was too green, too rainy, too boring.
“What kind of name is Forks anyways? Who names a city…town…village after an eating utensil anyways?” I grumbled, glaring at the slick road ahead of me. I didn’t receive an answer, of course, just the sound of Fun in the background.
Twenty minutes of trees later, I finally pulled into my mother’s driveway. Her car, and a car I didn’t recognize, was already there. I just sat in the drive way for fifteen minutes, staring at the washed out pale yellow house in front of me. Steeling myself, I turned off the ignition and got out into the drizzle, and made my way to the front door. Did I knock? Walk in? What was the etiquette for moving into your estranged mother’s house? I decided to knock, it was the safest bet.
Knock. Knock. Knock.
I waited a few minutes, heard my mother’s voice, and then the door swung open. I stared at the woman in front of me uncertainly. She was a woman of average height, her red hair was flecked with grey and cut into a bob that framed her slightly lined face. She had brown eyes, and an uncertain smile on her face. My mom.
“Hi, mom.” I greeted awkwardly. It had been a year and a half since I had last spoken to her. Suddenly I was pulled into a foreign hug, and I tentatively wrapped my arms around her.
“Hi, Addie. Oh, I’m so sorry about…everything.”
I grimaced. My father was still a topic that gutted me.
“It’s…alright. It’s cold, can we go inside?” I asked. She pulled away.
“Yes of course! Come in, I want you to meet my boyfriend.”
“Boyfriend?” I said, a small smile quirking at my lips. My mom was nearly 40, it seemed an odd word to apply to her love life.
“Yes, he’s a police officer in town. Charlie Swan. His daughter moved here recently, too. About your age.” She rambled. I was suddenly met with a kind looking man, with soft brown eyes, greying brown hair, and a thick mustache covering his upper lip. My heart clenched. He reminded me of my own dad.
“Hi, nice to meet you Mr. Swan.” I said politely, shaking his hand. “I’m Adeline.”
“Nice to meet you too, Adeline, but please, call me Charlie.” His hands were warm and slightly rough, all too like my fathers. I could feel myself start to tear up and I laughed in slight embarrassment.
“Gosh I’m sorry, you remind me of him.” I explained, brushing the tears away.
“No, no it’s fine, I should go anyways, gotta check on Bella.” He then gave my mother a quick kiss and left.
“Let me show you to your room, the movers got here yesterday and I set everything up for you.” My mom said, taking me upstairs. She led me to a spacious room, already housing my things. “Bathroom’s across the hall. Let me know if you need anything, I’m going to get started on dinner.” She then left me to myself.
I slowly sat on my bed and kicked off my shoes. I let out a soft sigh. My first day of school was tomorrow, I didn’t look forward to it.

The next day started out in a mechanical blur. Get up. Shower. Brush teeth. Style hair. Apply makeup. Get dressed. Eat breakfast. Get in the car. Drive. Park. Get out. Walk.
I didn’t really snap out of my daze until I had walked straight into a cold wall, or at least I had thought it was a wall, but instead it was the back of a large, burly looking kid with brown hair that was kept short and topaz colored eyes.
“Jesus, I’m so sorry.” I blushed, stumbling backwards awkwardly.
“I know I’m pretty great but no need to call me Jesus.” He laughed, his topaz eyes filled with mirth. I giggled, glad he wasn’t mad at me.
“I’m Adeline. Adeline Bowers.” I smiled, sticking my hand out for a shake. He took it, his hand freezing.
“Emmett Cullen.”
We dropped hands and he flashed me some dazzling pearly whites.
“New to town, huh?” He asked as he fell in step beside me.
“Yep, just got here yesterday. Wouldn’t happen to know where I could find the main office?” I asked, glancing at him. He was handsome, incredibly so, but not my type.
“Sure, it’s that building. I got to go. See you around.” He then sped off, leaving me rather confused. I thought we had been getting along? Perhaps he was late to meeting someone. I shrugged it off, and walked into the front office.
The receptionist had her back to me, filing papers.
“Excuse me,” I said, biting my lip. The woman turned, and smiled.
“You must be Adeline Bowers. I have your schedule and locker information right here.” She handed me a piece of paper and then a packet. “Your mother informed us that you were interested in the medical field, so I saved you an application for the senior class internship at the local hospital. You’d be interning for our very own Carlisle Cullen.” She said cheerily. I smiled at her thoughtfulness, excitement welling up in my stomach.
“Thank you so much! Where do I turn it in?” I asked, the largest smile I’ve been able to create since the accident breaking out onto my face.
“The hospital receptionist. Good luck dear. You should get going, the bell will ring in a few minutes.”
I rushed to my rather easily found locker, in the main hall where most the class rooms were. My entire being was buzzing. This was the best I’d felt since…no, I can’t think of that now. I glanced at my schedule and grabbed the first set of books I’d need and shoved my unneeded items into the locker, keeping the application to fill out. I then rushed over to my first class, getting there a bit early to check in the with teacher.
“Hi, I’m Adeline Bowers.” I said, standing in front of the teacher’s desk. He smiled.
“Welcome to Forks High Ms. Bowers. Your seat is third row, third seat, right in the middle.” I walked over to my seat and started to fill out the application, making sure to use my best handwriting. Students started to filter in, and I could feel the stares, but I ignored them for now, carefully filling in the blanks on the form in front of me. Suddenly a folded up piece of paper skidded onto my desk and I quickly caught it in my fingers. I frowned at it, and opened it.
Whatcha working on? -Emmett
I looked at the scrawling handwriting and then at my surroundings, immediately noticing him next to me. I gave him a quick smile and wrote my answer on the paper.
The hospital internship application. -Addie
I flicked the paper back over at him after making sure the teacher was still preoccupied. I quickly put the almost finished application neatly in a folder, knowing class would begin soon, and I was going to be distracted by Emmett. The note skittered back over to me.
Haha, you could end up working with my dad. -Emmett
I thought back to the name of the doctor. Carlisle. Carlisle Cullen. Emmett Cullen.
Oh, duh.
Huh, I didn’t connect the dots til just now. I’ve always wanted to be a doctor, so this internship is just perfect -Addie
We continued to pass notes all throughout the class, just getting to know each other. I found out that Carlisle had adopted him and four other teenagers around the same age. He was dating one of them, Rosalie. Rosalie was Jasper’s twin, and Jasper was dating Alice, and then there was Edward, but he’s been out sick. While I had found it a bit odd that they were dating each other, I couldn’t really blame them. All of them were gorgeous. Well. Emmett, Rosalie, and Alice were. I shared my first three classes with those three Cullen’s—well Rosalie was technically a Hale but that’s beside the point—in that order. Soon lunch time came around.
After I had picked up my bagged lunch from my locker, I stood just inside the cafeteria absolutely lost. Emmett was the only one who had talked to me, but he was sitting with the rest of his family, bar Edward, and I didn’t want to go where I wasn’t invited. I settled for an empty table in the back, three tables away from Emmett. I gave him a small wave from my seat, in reply to which he smiled, before giving his attention to Rosalie, his girlfriend. I sighed dejectedly before pulling out my turkey sandwich, Doritos, and fruit cup. I munched absentmindedly, deciding to check over my application. Suddenly I felt uncomfortable. I glanced up only to find all the Cullen’s staring at me blatantly. I put my application down and gave them an uncertain smile. Why were they staring at me?
Rosalie was giving me a look of suspicion, Emmett seemed excited yet confused, Jasper just…stared, and Alice was bouncing up and down in her seat lightly. Soon, the rest of the cafeteria noticed, and they all started to stare at me as well. Nerves roiled in my stomach so I glared daggers at the student body and returned to my application, filling a few more things out before deeming it acceptable. I felt the Cullen’s eyes leave me, thank goodness, and I went back to my lunch.
Thanks Emmett… I thought, wishing the day was over with.
The rest of my classes went easily. I had Jasper in my fifth period, but he avoided me like the plague, as he seemed to do with everyone besides his topaz eyed family. I was ok with this. In my sixth period I met Bella, who seemed nice enough if a bit dull and awkward. However, I pushed that aside, since her dad was dating my mother and she agreed to sit with me at lunch from now on. School ended blandly, and I quickly made my way to my car, eager to drop my application off at the hospital.
I walked into the Hospital, straightening my shirt. I was nervous. Before I turned it in, I detoured to the restroom and stared in the mirror. My red hair was twisted into a bun on the top of my head, my smoky grey eyes were rimmed with eyeliner, lips slightly tinted pink due to my chap stick. Honestly, I was fine, I looked fine. I sighed. I’m just dropping off the application. Get a grip, I told myself firmly. I then walked out and to the front desk.
“Can I help you?” The receptionist asked, clearly bored.
“I’m dropping off an application for the senior internship with Doctor Cullen.” I smiled, sliding over the pristine application. She snorted.
“You and every other senior girl.”
I frowned, I wasn’t aware there were many people interested in the field.
“There’s that many people interested in medicine?” I asked, perturbed. She down right laughed.
“You’re kidding right? No one applies because they like medicine. They apply because of him.” She pointed behind me and I turned. I was floored. That wasn’t a doctor, that was a Greek God. He had platinum blonde hair, impossibly pale skin, honeyed eyes that were almost liquid gold, and an impeccably straight smile.
“That’s Doctor Cullen?” I squeaked, looking at the receptionist.
“You mean you didn’t know? Are you new around here?”
I just nodded in response, stealing another look at the doctor.
“Well I’ll give this to him now,” She sighed, picking up my application and running it over to him. I decided to leave. As I was strolling towards the door a cool hand grabbed my wrist. My eyes followed the hand, up the white sleeved arm, only to land on the face of the softly smiling Doctor Carlisle Cullen.
“Ms. Bowers?” He asked, his hand still softly grasping my wrist. I nodded, I couldn’t speak, my voice stuck in my throat. He was…so handsome. “I looked over your application, and I believe you are perfect for the internship. If you could come in tomorrow after your classes, we can go over a schedule.”
I was utterly shocked, then incredibly happy. The happiest I’ve been in weeks. A large smile bloomed on my face and I threw my arms around the doctor, who immediately wrapped his arms around me.
“Thank you!” I gasped, so excited. He laughed, an amazing, adorable laugh.
“You’re welcome.” His voice soft in my ear. I pulled back from him, reluctant to leave his strong arms.
“I’ll be here as soon as school lets out tomorrow, sir.” I smiled again.
“Please, call me Carlisle.”
“Carlisle. In that case, call me Addie or Adeline.”
“Addie.” His voice saying my name sent shivers down my spine.
“Anyways, I need to get going, homework.” I smiled. He nodded.
“Yes of course, see you tomorrow.” He then walked off.

Holy shit. That man was going to be the death of me.
I didn’t know how right I was.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll be posting cast with pics soon.