Status: Completed

The Internship

After Math

I awoke to the sound of a heart monitor and sunlight streaming on my face. I was surprisingly not in any pain as my eyes opened slowly, getting used to the light. I sat up slowly, surprised and slightly hurt that nobody was in my room. I looked around, and figuring from the hot sunlight, we were still in Phoenix. At least, I was.
Why was I in here all alone? Did they all leave with out me? Did they even tell my mom what happened? A tear leaked from my eye. Where was Carlisle? Didn't he care what happened to me?
“I don't know why she isn't awake ye—Adeline!” The door opened suddenly and I whipped my head towards it. My mother ran toward me and hugged me gently while the doctor hung back, smiling softly.
“Mom, where's Bella? And the Cullen's?” I asked, staring at her worriedly. She glared at me.
“I forbid them from seeing you again.” She sniffed. “They got you into this mess.”
I'm pretty sure my mouth was on the floor. Had Carlisle given up that easily? Just let me go because my mom, a human, got mad? I couldn't breath. My monitor's started to go a little nuts.
“I think we should let her process this.” The doctor said quickly, dragging my mom out of the room.
My lungs burned and I took in a deep breath. Maybe he was just...lying about all that Mating stuff? Maybe I don't need him? I kept trying to convince myself of this, even as my heart broke and my world crashed down around me.
Or maybe he just doesn't love you, a voice whispered evilly in the back of my head. I started to hyperventilate. A nurse rushed in.
“Hey, Adeline, you need to calm down.” She said, placing her hands on my shoulders.
“Where's Carlisle? Carlisle Cullen, where is he?” I sobbed, my entire body shaking. The nurse looked lost.
“Oh dear. Ok, just take deep breaths for me, let me go get your mother...” She quickly walked out of the room while I tried—and failed—to control myself. He couldn't have just left me, he loved me. I loved him. We were soul mates, he didn't just leave!
“Sweetie. Calm down.” My mothers voice seemed distant, muddied.
“I need to see him!” I moaned, wrapping my arms across my stomach, as if I was trying to hold myself together.
“See who?”
“CARLISLE!” I screamed, frustrated.
“Let me in there!” I heard his voice, frantic, in the hall.
“Sir, only immediate family--”
“Adeline!”
“Carlisle!” I called, my eyes trained on the door. My vision was still clouded by tears, and I was completely ignoring my mother. Finally, he burst into the room, careful to keep to the shadows and out of direct sunlight.
“Close the curtains,” I hissed at my mom. She looked confused and angry.
“What? No.”
“Mom, the sunlight is really hurting my head.” I lied, glaring back at her. Huffing, she did as I asked, and Carlisle came over to me, gripping my hand.
“I'm so sorry, the kept refusing to let me in.” He mumbled quietly, placing a gentle kiss on my hand. I finally calmed down. He didn't leave, he was here. He stayed. I threw my self into his arms, burying my nose into his neck, breathing him in.
“I thought you left me.” I whispered brokenly, eyes closed tightly.
“Never.” Was his only response as he held me carefully.
“What the hell is going on.”
I had forgotten my mother was in the room.
“Carlisle's my boyfriend.” I stated bluntly, refusing to leave his arms.
“Ms. Bowers, I realize that you are probably not thrilled--”
“Not thrilled? Forget not thrilled, I'm livid! How could you take advantage of my daughter! And your family is the reason she's landed in this hospital in the first place. I should report you to Charlie!” She hissed. I quickly whipped around to face her, pissed.
“I am eighteen, if you would so kindly remember. I love him, he did not take advantage of me, and if you don't approve I am more than capable of moving out and not having to deal with it.” I hissed at her.
“Adeline,” Carlisle's calm voice commanded my attention. “I would never get between you and your mother.”
“What? Carlisle I love you.” I whimpered, staring up at him. His face looked drawn, stricken, guilty. The same look he had when I had realized he wasn't going to get in the car all those days ago. It terrified me.
“And I love you.” It was all he said, before he turned and stiffly walked out the door.
I was in shock.
“Thank you, mother, for ruining the only relationship I actually had any hope for, and effectively, my life. As soon as I am released, I will be going to your place, packing my things, and leaving,” I said, no emotion in my voice as I stared at the spot the love of my life had stood just moments before.
“Adeline, you're being ridiculous--”
“No, what's ridiculous is you thinking you can dictate my life. You gave up that right ten years ago when you decided to cheat on dad, and left.” I finally looked at her, and I think the severity of my face made her realize I wasn't kidding.
“Adeline...” Her voice broke.
“No, mother. Carlisle left because of you. And now I am leaving because of you too. Lets just hope it isn't too late to fix my relationship.” I swung my legs out of the bed, gripping onto the dripper. I stood, and kept my weight off my bad leg. It was surprisingly not difficult. I ripped the heart monitor nodes off my chest, making the machine flat line as I limped towards the door, using the dripper as a crutch, my mom not even trying to stop me. Before I could even reach it, though, a nurse exploded in, a defibrillator in tow.
“You're walking?” She asked strangely, pausing in her movements.
“Yes. I need to find my boyfriend before my mother can ruin anything else. If you'll excuse me.” I growled, before limping past her out the open door, leaving the nurse's mouth hanging open. I limped towards the waiting room, where I saw Charlie.
“Charlie, where's Carlisle?” I asked sharply, startling him.
“Should you really be out of--”
“Charlie, I swear I am not in the mood, just answer the damn question.” I fumed, looking around the area.
“He went to go see Bells, I'll take you.” He quickly stood and lead me slowly down another hall. I finally saw him, sagged against a wall as he talked quietly with Rosalie. She saw me first, and said something to him. He quickly looked up, then rushed to me.
“What the hell are you thinking, you should be in bed.” He worried, hands resting on my shoulders. Charlie awkwardly walked off, towards Bella.
“I'm not letting you leave me again. That effectively destroyed what little of a relationship mom and I had. I love you. You're my mate—as weird as that sounds. I can't just go on with life as if I had never met you.” I stated passionately, staring into his eyes.
“But, I ruined your life...you wouldn't even be here if it weren't for me.” He whispered, hands falling from me. I quickly snatched his hand.
“You. Did. Not. Ruin. My. Life.” I growled, glaring at him. “You made it so much better. You helped me heal after my dad's death. You made me believe in love. You gave me a family. And I would not trade that for anything in this world.” I was crying at this point, not that I could help it. “I love you.” I finished lamely, staring into his eyes. His face dropped, in a weird look of relief and sadness.
“I love you too,” He whispered, before pulling me into a soft kiss. Our lips moved together easily, and my hands wound their way around his neck and into his hair. His hands snaked around my waist and he pulled my closer.
“Where you go, I go.” I murmured against his lips.
“Forever.” He agreed solemnly. I smiled and pulled away.
“Doctor, would you please carry me back to my room?” I flirted, smirking at him. The corners of his mouth pulled as he fought to keep a straight face.
“Right away, m'lady.” He easily picked me up, bridal style. I grabbed the dripper, still connected to my arm, and pulled it along with us as he carried me back to my room. When we arrived, mom was still there, sitting on the chair by my bed. Carlisle brushed passed her, and laid me down, hooking me back up to the heart monitor. He pressed a lingering kiss to my forehead.
“I will get you some food. You must be hungry.” He murmured, then left me alone with her.
It was silent, the awkwardness hung heavy in the air while I pointedly looked at the wall.
“Adeline,” She began quietly. “I'm sorry about your dad. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. But I am trying to be now.”
“I don't want the kind of 'being here' you offer. I'm an adult. I don't need to be strictly parented, told who I am or am not allowed to date. I could have used that about two years ago, but definitely not now, and definitely not with Carlisle. Carlisle looks at me the way dad looked at you, once. He's never done anything to hurt me—not purposely. And even this wasn't his fault. I want nothing more than to graduate and hopefully marry him. That's how much I love him. We've been through so much.”
“I...see...”She sighed quietly, studying me. “So he didn't force this?”
“More like the other way around. He thought he wasn't good enough for me.” I laughed breathily.
“I suppose I can't stop you, even though I'm not sure I approve.” She muttered.
“Well, whether you approve or not, it won't stop us from loving each other.” I smiled as Carlisle walked back in, a tray of food in hand.

A few days later found me back in Forks, still limping, but otherwise ok. The prom was next week, and I didn't bother to plan on going. What was the point if I couldn't bring my boyfriend? Although Alice pleaded, I continued to decline. I was still living with my mom, but we weren't really speaking to each other. Currently, I was sitting in my math class, pretending to take notes. It was my last class of the day, and it was also my day to work at the hospital. I was dying to escape the room, with all the strange looks and whispers I got. It had gotten out that I was dating Carlisle, no doubt from my mom gossiping. I, personally, didn't care, but it did harness some resentment at the hospital from the nurses. I was brought out of my thoughts by the bell ringing, and I quickly got up and gathered my things. I was about to rush to my lockers when,
“Ms. Bowers, please stay behind.”
I mentally groaned.
“Mr. Carter, could we keep this quick, I'm working at the hospital today.” I said quickly, standing in front of the mans desk.
“Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to discuss.” He said, cleaning his glasses. He popped them back on his face and continued. “I wanted to ask about your...relationship with Dr. Cullen.”
“I really don't see how that is any of your concern.” I replied dryly, my eyes falling into a flat glare. He waved off my answer.
“I am merely suggesting that it may or may not be against your will.” He hinted, sitting in his chair. I gave him a disgusted look.
“Not that it's absolutely any of your business, but my relationship with Carlisle is completely consensual. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a job to be present at.” I hissed, then stomped out of the room.
What a complete crock of shit. Just because he's older than me, it's automatically forced and crap? What kind of town is this, that they assume the worst from their best doctor? I angrily opened my locker, slamming my books into the shelves before hitting it closed with a loud bang. I had already informed Charlie that my relationship was healthy, and he readily believed me, considering my stunt at the hospital. I don't see why everyone else was having a hard time. I started to storm out to my car when I heard a whisper.
“He's probably only with her for sex, I bet she's fucking all the Cullens.”
I stopped in my tracks, and turned towards the smirking girls. As much as I wanted to go over there and slam her head into a wall, I knew Carlisle would be pissed, so instead , I gave her a sickly sweet smile.
“Hunny, at least I can grab a Cullen's attention with out flaunting my ass to the entire school.” Her face turned red as she spluttered angrily, so I spun around and continued to my car, pleased.

I arrived at the Hospital in no time, although I was a few minutes late. I ignored the glares from the jealous staff and opened Carlisle's office door, finding him with his head down on his desk while he muttered to himself. Frowning, I closed the door behind me gently.
“Carlisle?” I asked softly, approaching him. He looked up. Dark bags hung under his eyes, which were a deep topaz, almost black.
“I'm so sorry, Addie.” He sighed, his hands running through his hair again.
“For what?” I smiled, placing my hand on his cold cheek. He looked at me.
“The kids informed me about the bullying at school.”
“Oh, don't mind that, they're just jealous. And I hardly care what they think, because I know what we have is special, and anyone who matters knows that too.” I replied softly, then placed a quick kiss on his lips. He spared a small smile.
“You are so...perfect.” He sighed, admiring me. I laughed.
“Don't be ridiculous, I almost bashed some girls face into a wall today.”
“Why?” He spluttered, as if he couldn't imagine me having such a violent thought.
“She said I was slut, basically.” I shrugged, smiling at him in amusement.
“While that's awful, I am glad you didn't do that.” He sighed, rolling his eyes.
“Yeah, whatever. They hate us cuz they ain't us.” I giggled.
“...Right...”
And with that we got on with work, happy life seemed to be perfectly ok.
Little did I know that Esme finally acquired her target to get Carlisle's attention.
Me.