Status: Completed

The Internship

The Downfall Of Esme

It was the day before prom, and I was sitting in the Cullen's living room, trying to read a book.
“Adeline Bowers, you have to go! It's your senior prom! You only get one!” Alice was pleading with me, laying dramatically across my lap.
“What's the point, Alice? The school won't let me bring Carlisle.” I sighed, refusing to look at her.
“So? I'll dance with you.” She whined.
“But then Jasper will be lonely, isn't that right, Jasper?” I asked, glancing at the vampire across the room. He'd slowly loosened up, but not enough to be within ten feet of me.
“She's right, darlin. Wouldn't want your husband to be all alone, would we?” He smirked, winking at me.
Alice let out an annoyed sigh.
“It's not fair when you tag team me.”
“Besides, with all of you at Prom, Carlisle and I can get a night alone for once.” I smirked, finally glancing at the vampire in my lap. She crinkled her nose.
“I definitely did not need that image in my head.”
“Neither did I,” Edward agreed, walking in. I snorted a laugh.
“Too bad, now you do. Alice, you should go help Bella get ready, you know she's hopeless when she's got to dress formally.” Alice agreed and quickly got up, leaving me to my book.
A few hours later, the last of the Cullen kids left the house, and I was alone, waiting for Carlisle to get off work. Sighing, I trudged my way up the stairs to his study, figuring I'd wait for him there.
I was sitting on his chair, twirling myself around bored. When I twirled to face the door again, I screamed.
Esme stood there, smirking, her eyes bright red.
“Looks like they left you all alone.” She laughed, advancing towards me.
“Esme, come on girl, we don't really need to do this.” I squeaked, pushing the chair backwards with my feet. I hit the window behind me.
“Carlisle refuses to take me back because of you. So, with you out of the picture, Carlisle will have no choice but to take me back.” She was suddenly behind me, propelling the chair forwards, pinning me between the desk and chair. “Now, I want you to write a letter. Tell him goodbye. Otherwise, I'll leave your mangled corpse here for him to find.”
At this point, tears were streaming down my face, and she shoved a pad of paper and a pen towards me.
“Do it!” She screeched, ripping at my hair. I screamed in pain, but picked up the pen.
Carlisle,
This will never work.
How can I love a vampire.
You should go back to Esme.
Goodbye.
Adeline Bowers.


I hoped to god he'd see right through it, I tried to make it too formal, too staged, too not Adeline.
“Good, now lets go. Don't want Alice to see.” She hit the back of my head, and I was instantly knocked out.
XOXOXOXOXOX
Carlisle drove home, having just gotten off from work. He was excited, a night alone with Addie was exactly what he needed to destress from the day. He parked in the garage, and walked into the house.
“Addie?” He called, frowning. He couldn't hear her heart beat, but her scent was fresh. Her shoes were sitting by the couch, her book laying on the coffee table. He followed the scent up to his study, frowning. He could sense something was wrong.
She wasn't in the study either, but he noticed his notepad was out of place. He walked over to it, and gasped.
Carlisle,
This will never work.
How can I love a vampire.
You should go back to Esme.
Goodbye.
Adeline Bowers

Her normal loopy and slightly messy handwriting was perfect brick letters. He frowned, Adeline would not have left like this, he thought to himself. Esme...Esme! Esme must have taken her! Frantically, he pulled out his cellphone and called Alice.
“Carlisle?” Her confused tone came in a moment later.
“Adeline's been taken by Esme.”
“On our way.”

XOXOXOXOXOX

When I came to, the back of my head throbbed painfully. I pulled myself up, and realized my hands were chained to what looked to be a cave wall. I looked around, wincing at the drumming in my head. I was in a cave, but it was obvious we were still in Washington, I could see the wet trees surrounding the cave. Esme walked in.
“Ah, you're awake. Carlisle's on his way here.” She smirked, pulling to my feet. I got a head rush, and swayed dangerously, but Esme's grip on my shirt kept me up right.
Moments later, Carlisle was in the mouth of the cave.
“Run,” I said weakly, but he ignored it.
“Let her go!” He snarled, stepping closer. Esme pulled my body flush with hers, her mouth poised near my neck.
“Ah, ah, ah, not another step or else I'll drain your useless human.” She smirked, her voice sickly sweet. Carlisle paused, horrified.
“What do you want, Esme?”
“Isn't it obvious? I want you!'”
You walked out on me, remember?” Carlisle growled, his fists clenched.
“That was a mistake, we're meant to be together, not you and this waste of space.”
“I've got a name, you know.” I snarked, but the sudden snapping of my arm quickly shut me up, as I cried out in pain and sank to the floor, cradling my now broken arm to my chest.
“Don't!” Carlisle cried, taking another step. Suddenly, the broken arm was the least of my worries, as Esme clamped her teeth down on the fleshy part of my shoulder. A loud scream ripped through my body, and she was quickly tackled away from me.
Fire.
Fire was spreading from my shoulder down to the rest of my body. I think I was convulsing, I was definitely screaming. My mind had completely shut down, I couldn't think, all I could feel was pain.
Then suddenly, I felt the fire being sucked away. The heat in my head diminished, then in my arms, and before I could spit out a thank you, I was unconscious.

The next time I awoke, I was in a very comfortable bed, the curtains drawn. I could feel a cool hand holding my own, the owners head laying on top of it. My eyes opened slowly, and blinked.
I recognized Carlisle's canopied bed instantly. I glanced over, and notice Carlisle was the one holding my hand, and he was dry sobbing.
“Carlisle?” I croaked out, my throat sore and and dry. His head whipped up, the anguish on his face.
“Adeline, you're awake!” He breathed, a smile forming. I noticed my arm, the one he wasn't attached to, was in a heavy cast.
“What happened to Esme?” I whispered, as Carlisle helped me drink a glass of water.
“She's...she's gone.” Was his short response.
“She bit me.” I murmured, my uninjured hand flying to my shoulder. All I felt there were small scars.
“I sucked out the venom. Alice has been keeping you on top of your homework, so you can still graduate next week.”
“How long was I out?”
“Three days.” He looked down at my hand, his face lined with sadness.
“Carlisle, thank you for saving me. Now give me a kiss, I feel like I haven't seen you in ages.”
He quirked a small smile, and leaned forward, giving me a lingering kiss.
“This was all my fault,” He breathed, another dry sob ripping through his body.
“Oh, not this again. Carlisle, I love you. And I'm not letting you leave me. I would go through all of this one hundred more times if it meant spending eternity with you.” I paused a moment. “Besides, I won't be a weak human forever.”
“Do you really want me to change you? Think of all the things you'd miss out on.” He sighed, placing his head back on my hand.
“We've been through this. Carlisle, I want to be with you.” I groaned, throwing my head back on the pillow. “Now lighten up, and stop being such a Debbie Downer.”
Finally, he laughed, and smiled up at me.
“Come lay in bed with me.” I invited, carefully scooting over so he had room to get in. He crawled in, and carefully pulled me close to him. I snuggled into his chest, relishing the coolness of his body.

Finally, it was time for my graduation. Alice helped me get dressed, she bought me a gorgeous dress to wear underneath the graduation gown. It clung to my body like a second skin. It was a black and beige two tone bodycon dress, that fell to my midthigh. I paired it with Shi black wedge booties. Alice did my hair in a braided bun and my makeup with fleshtones that brought out my eyes.
“Carlisle won't know what hit him.” Alice smiled, and I had to agree. I looked hot. Since I would be picking up my cap and gown at the school, I walked out of Alice's room and down the stairs, where Carlisle was waiting. When he saw me, his eyes hungrily roamed my body and he pulled me close as I giggled.
“You look amazing.” He growled in my ear, his hands squeezing my hips seductively.
“Maybe I'll let you rip it off me later,” I winked, before side-stepping him and heading towards the car. I looked back at him, only to see him staring unashamed at my ass. Giggling, I walked out the door, and to my car. The Cullen's would meet me there.

Half an hour later, I was sitting in my assigned seat in the horrid yellow graduation garb, waiting for the ceremony to begin. Finally, the years valedictorian took the stage, and began his speech. I didn't pay attention, it was boring, and I much rather liked looking at Carlisle, who was seated a few yards away on the left. My mother was seated next to him, and they seemed to be studiously ignoring each other. I was brought from my admiring glances by my name being announced. I awkwardly jumped up and got my diploma, flashing a victorious smile at Carlisle, who looked extremely proud of me. My mother did too, although she kept glaring at Carlisle. I walked off the stage, and went back to my seat, waiting for the rest of the students to be called. There weren't many graduates, probably only fifty.
“I now announce you the graduates of 2006, congratulations!”
The roar of happy screams and applause ripped through the crowd as we all threw our caps in the air. I happily threw it, and shrugged off the god awful robes, heading over to my mom and the Cullen's.
“Congrats!” They smiled when I finally made my way over to them.
“Thanks guys!” I laughed, and Alice, Emmett, Edward, Bella, and Carlisle gave me a group hug. “Couldn't have done it with out you all.” I said affectionately when they let me go. My mom gave me a stiff hug and an, 'I'm proud', before backing off. I whisked into a lovely embrace by Carlisle, who planted a sweet kiss on my lips.
“I'm so proud of you, Adeline.” He whispered in my ear, hugging my tightly.
“Thank you, sweetie. Come on, lets get to that party before Alice has a conniption fit.”

We quickly drove back to Carlisle's, where Alice set up an intimate graduation party, including Bella, the Cullen family, and my mom.
It was the perfect ending to an extremely rocky year, and I was glad I had the perfect man on my arm.

The End...For Now.
♠ ♠ ♠
There will be a sequel that takes place during New Moon