Status: Completed

The Internship

No Chance, No Way, I Won't Say It

Monday had rolled around and I was getting ready for school. Sunday I didn't go into work, as Carlisle called and said he was taking his children hiking since there was sun. I also took advantage of the sunny day and kidnapped Bella. We went to the mall for a few hours.
The good weather didn't stick around.
Today, the sky was dark and angry, the skies threatening to start pouring any minute. A thunder storm was coming. I dressed in skinny jeans, a long sleeved Ravenclaw Quidditch team shirt, and my raincoat. I then slipped my feet into my favorite black boots. Shoving some gloves on my hands and a beanie on my head, I prepared to brave the day. I grabbed my bag and sprinted to my previously unlocked car, and cranked up the heater. I hated being cold.
I drove to school, glancing anxiously up at the sky every time I could. I hated driving in heavy rain. Well, I was scared to drive in heavy rain. After my dad...I shook the thoughts out of my head as I pulled into school.
“Hi Alice, Hi Emmett!” I waved, walking over to the two. Edward, who was now back at school, decided he didn't like me either.
“Hey kiddo!” Emmett smiled, lugging an arm around me in a side-hug.
“Hi Addie!” Alice greeted, also flashing me a cute smile. Alice was like a pixie, small and lithe, with short spiky hair. I had wondered why everyone in the family had those strangely colored eyes, but I figured it didn't matter much.
“Lets get inside before it starts raining.” I muttered, glaring suspiciously at the sky. We all ran into the building, and just as the doors shut,
BOOM.
Lightening flashed and the floodgates opened, the parking lot covered in sheets of rain. I couldn't even see my car.
Alice, Emmett, and I went our separate ways to our lockers, however I knew that Emmett would meet up with me just before class started. Another loud bang made me flinch. I couldn't stand thunderstorms anymore, and I used to love them. I clutched my books to my chest, holding onto them as if they were my life line, as I quickly made my way to class. I didn't even say hi when Bella greeted me. I just ran passed her. I couldn't think straight.
I sat heavily in my seat, just waiting for the storm to pass. God, I hoped it passed.
“Adeline!”
I jumped at looked wide-eyed at a concerned looking Emmett.
“Addie, are you ok?” He frowned, his eyebrows furrowed in concern.
“Yeah. I just...don't like thunderstorms.” I sighed, taking off my beanie and gloves. I ran a hand through my hair so I didn't have hat-head.
“Maybe you should go home.” He suggested. I shook my head.
“No...I can't drive with the weather like this. It's best I stay here and try to work through this irrational fear.” I said, nodding my head decisively. I couldn't let my dad's death control me. He gave me a small smile.
“Alright. But don't feel bad if you need to go home.”
“I'll be alright, Em.” I smiled at him, and then looked to the teacher as class started.
The rest of the day went pretty well. I still jumped at the thunder, but I didn't have any more panic attacks. At lunch, I sat with Bella and her group of friends, who weren't my favorite. Except for Angela, she was sweet. Bella wasn't participating in conversation, too busy staring at the good looking Edward Cullen, who was staring at her, too.
“Bella...take a picture, it will last longer.” I snorted, looking at her. She blushed.
“I was staring again, huh?”
“Oh yeah.
“Adeline!” Alice's voice called. I looked at her questioningly and she motioned for me to come over. I shrugged and got up, as the cafeteria stared. They always stared when they saw the Cullen's with me.
“What's up Alice?” I asked, sitting next to her. The cafeteria slowly started to buzz with conversation again.
“You should come over today after school.” She smiled, and Emmett nodded enthusiastically. Sure beats being alone and cowering from the sky.
“Sure, sounds like fun.” I smiled and nodded.

When school ended, the storm had blessedly died down, and it was now only drizzling. I met up with my two favorite Cullen children at their cars. Carlisle was my favorite Cullen, but they didn't need to know that. Edward shot me a weird look, which made me give him a weird look, which made everyone else give both of us weird looks. I started laughing.
“Ok that was weird. Anyways, I'll follow you guys, yeah?” I said, still laughing. Alice giggled and nodded, so I headed back to my car and followed them through town.
We turned onto a long driveway that was surrounded by trees, you'd miss it if you didn't know it was there. After a few minutes we pulled into a clearing with a gorgeous house. My jaw dropped as I parked and stared at it. It was a white house with mod feeling architecture, almost all the outside walls were large windows. I slowly got out and grabbed my bag, noticing Carlisle's black BMW in the open garage.
“It's gorgeous.” I complimented. Alice hooked her arm through mine.
“Thank you! Now come on!” She dragged me into the house, a bubbly smile plastered on her face. I was dragged inside the house by the surprisingly strong pixie, We ran inside and I looked around it interest. White seemed to be a prevailing theme around the house, and there was a baby grand in the corner.
Five minutes later I was stuck in an intense battle with Emmett. We set up an intense one on one sniper round on call of duty.
“You...you!!” I groaned, glaring at the smiling Emmett. I had wanted to call him a plethora of colorful names, but I knew Carlisle was just up stairs, and I didn't particularly wanting him to get that view of me. Rosalie had started to—extremely slowly—warm up to me, as did Edward. Jasper still kept his distance but Alice assured me it was because he had overwhelming anxiety over new people. On a basic level, I understood.
“And game over.” Emmett smirked as a bullet ripped through my avatars head.
“I hate you. Rosalie, how do you stand him!” I snarked, throwing my hands up in aggravation. Rosalie cracked a small smile.
“By never getting involved in his games.” She replied, planting a kiss on the offending mans cheek. Edward just regarded me with an amused look, I swear it was like he could read my thoughts sometimes. Maybe I wasn't very good at hiding them, I mused.
“Oh, hi Carlisle!” Alice beamed. I looked over to the stairs, and I think I forgot how to breath. He was leaned up against the wall on the bottom stair, his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His arms were crossed and he looked upon us with great amusement. His lips were quirked in a small, endearing smile and his hair was deliciously tousled.
“Hello, kids. It seems we have a guest.” His eyes landed on me and I fought the blush trying to creep onto my cheeks. “Good evening, Adeline.” He greeted.
“Hi, Carlisle.” I smiled, sending him a small nervous wave.
“Having fun?” He asked, seemingly almost too innocently. I narrowed my eyes at Emmett.
“Your son kicked my butt, so not really.” I grumbled, huffily crossing my arms. That caused everyone to laugh, even Jasper who sat in the very back of the room. I sent him a small smile.
“He has a tendency to get carried away.” Carlisle mused, then clapped his hands together. “I was about to start dinner, would you like to stay?” He asked me. I looked at my watch in surprise.
“Oh! Thank you for the offer, but I should be getting home. My mom's probably worried.” I smiled, getting up and gathering my things. After saying goodbye to everyone, and a lingering glance at the lovely doctor, I left.

CARLISLE'S POV

I sat in my study, trying to concentrate on the paperwork I was supposed to be doing, but it seemed impossible when I could hear Adeline's heartbeat so close. I could smell her perfume, and her natural scent, it was completely invading my thoughts. I was irrevocably drawn to her. Part of me wanted to spend the rest of my undead life with her, the other part of me—even if it was a small part—wanted to suck her dry. I knew there could only be one reason for it.
She was my blood singer and my mate, a very strange and sometimes deadly combo.
I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. She is only 19, I tried to remind myself. She has her whole life ahead of her, and I cannot—will not—selfishly rip it away from her. Oh, but if she asked—which I knew was quite unlikely—I would turn her. I shook my head. This needed to stop. It was completely inappropriate. I knew Alice kept having visions of her, but she was oddly secretive about what she saw. And with Edward's gift, he knew and was keeping it from me as well.
I couldn't keep sitting here any longer, so I got up and left the study. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I marveled at her beauty. Her red hair was in a braid, she had a large smile on her face and she feigned anger at her opponent, and her grey eyes light up in the most spectacular way. Her nose and cheeks had a light dusting of freckles. My heart ached for her. I leaned against the wall and smiled. She looked like she belonged here.
“Oh, hi Carlisle!” Alice greeted, even though I knew she knew I was here the whole time. I played along with the ruse. My words were automatic, and I tried to keep my eyes impartial, but they always landed on Adeline.
My Adeline.

ADELINE'S POV
As I drove home, my mind kept wandering back to Carlisle. Even though deep down I knew it was more than just a crush, I kept denying it. It couldn't be. I couldn't be. As much as I felt the irresistible lure of Carlisle Cullen, he was just my boss and friends' adopted dad. And I was just his intern and his children's friend. And I knew, logically, it could never be more.
I got home and greeted my mom. We had slowly been getting on better terms with each other, but we still had our squabble's and it seemed like tonight would be no exception.
“Where were you!” She yelled, throwing her oven mitt on the counter. I raised an eyebrow at her. I had sent her a text.
“At the Cullen's, where I said I'd be.”
“Adeline! It's seven!”
“So? I'm 18, and I don't need a keeper breathing down my neck!” I yelled back, fed up.
“Adeline Georgina Bowers, I am your mother and you will not speak to me like that!” she growled, pointing her finger at me.
“Oh? Is that what you are? I hadn't noticed since I hadn't even seen you in years! You weren't even at the funeral!” I screeched, losing it.
“GO TO YOUR ROOM!”
I turned and swiftly ran up the stairs, and slammed the door, throwing myself onto my bed, sobbing.
I hadn't felt this lonely in a while, and I wished Carlisle were here to comfort me again. I put on some music in the hopes I could calm myself down, and I almost laughed at the irony of the song.
If there's a prize for rotten judgment, well I guess I've already won that.
No man is worth the aggravation, it's ancient history been there, done that!
Who d'you think you're kidding, He's the earth and heaven to you, try to keep it hidden
Honey we can see right through you (Oh no)
Girl, you can't conceal it, We know how you're feeling, Who you thinking of?
No chance, no way, I won't say it, no, no
You swoon, you sigh, why deny it, oh, oh
It's too cliche, I won't say I'm in love

I snorted. Of course it would be this song. Of fucking course.
“I won't say I'm in love.” I sang softly, before burying my head in my pillows.