Status: Completed

The Internship

It Was Only A Kiss, It Was Only A Kiss

LAST TIME:
The coffee slipped from my hands.
“What the fuck.”


I stared in utter shock, I couldn't even register the hot coffee soaking into my shoes. Carlisle's eyes were coal black, his hands clenched into fists, the incredible strength no longer being concealed. His mouth was formed into a vicious—animalistic—snarl. His ex, the woman who had stormed out weeks ago, was in a similar stance, only her teeth were bared in a way that terrified me much more. And her eyes were bright, blood red. Carlisle's face quickly melded into absolute horror.
“Adeline, run.”
I didn't question the command, I ran, slamming the door behind me as I tore through the hospital. When I made it to the safety of the elevator, I ripped my phone out of my pocket and called the only person I could possibly tell this about.
“Emmett. I need you to get me, fast. Bring the rest. Carlisle's in trouble.”
“On my way.”

They were waiting for me in the lobby, huddled together.
“Adeline, what happened?” Emmett asked, his voice low.
“His ex. God it was terrifying. I walked in, they were...snarling at each other. Emmett, her eyes were bright red.” I cried.
“Go with Alice.” He ordered. The pixie took my arm and pulled me away while the rest of the clan stalked into the still open elevator.
“Alice...Carlisle...he wouldn't hurt anyone, would he?” I asked tearfully, my heart clenching.
“No! No, of course not. None of us would. You're completely safe with us.” Alice soothed, petting my hair as she opened a car door. I slid in and she closed it behind me. She was soon next to me.
“So...vampires. I had just dismissed it as ridiculous.” I laughed without humor, tears still streaming.
“We don't drink humans. We call ourselves vegetarians. We only drink animals. It's why our eyes are golden. Did Esme really have red eyes?” She asked, looking sad. I nodded.
“Carlisle looked horrified when I entered. Like he thought she was going to kill me.”
“If her eyes were red, she probably would have tried.” She said quietly. While my tears had subsided, I was shaking violently, the shock of what I had seen wearing off.
“I've been interning for a vampire. Sounds like a teen romance novel.” I grumbled. Alice laughed in her bell like way, and I suddenly noticed that we were no longer in the hospital parking lot, instead we were pulling into the Cullen's driveway.
“Will they be safe?” I whispered, worry suddenly becoming my primary emotion.
“They will be fine.” Alice nodded with certainty as she helped me out of the car.
We sat on the couch in silence, my stomach roiling and undiluted worry running through me. I couldn't get Carlisle out of my head—not because he terrified me, but because I cared about him. I didn't want him to be hurt. And I couldn't deny that there was a dangerous sex appeal about him when he was angry. I shoved that thought aside for now. I stood as they all walked through the door.
“Where's Carlisle.” I demanded, immediately noticing his absence.
“He went to feed,” Was the short reply given by Rosalie, who immediately stomped up the stairs. I blinked in shock. Was she mad at me?
“She's mad that two humans know our secret now, and that Esme betrayed us like that.” Edward responded automatically and I looked at him in bewilderment, then the cold realization washed over me.
“YOU'VE BEEN READING MY THOUGHTS?” I moaned in utter embarrassment. He had heard every thought about Carlisle.
“Never mind that.” He dismissed, looking smug. I glared at him.
“Do you all have superpowers?” I asked, curious.
“Kind of.” Emmett grinned. “We joke that Carlisle's superpower is compassion. I have strength—more than even a normal vampire. Rosalie is extra beautiful. Edward, as you know, reads minds. Alice has visions. And Jasper is an Empath.”
I sank back down on the couch.
“When will Carlisle be back?” I asked, a sudden intense need to see him filled me.
“Soon...he will be here in five minutes.” Edward said, before going off somewhere deeper in the house. A soft piano tune filled the air minutes later. Emmett went to check on Rosalie, and Jasper had long slipped off upstairs as well. Alice lightly played with my hair, which helped soothe me. I began to notice my coffee soaked feet and groaned, kicking off my shoes and soaked socks. Alice handed my a towel, and I quickly wiped the vestiges of coffee off my feet, then tucked them underneath me as I threw the towel down with my shoes. We sat in silence until the door opened again and Carlisle stepped in the room. I stood and jumped on him, wrapping him in a desperate hug, He immediately wrapped his arms around me, and his chin rested lightly on my head.
“I was so worried.” I mumbled, not bothering by being embarrassed. He laughed incredulously.
“You walked in on a vampire fight and you're worried about me?”
This time I did flush.
“Well...I care about you, dummy.” I sniffed, pulling away. He was smiling fondly at me, his eyes back to being topaz, even if they were darker than usual.
“Aren't you afraid?” He asked quietly, studying me.
“Not of you,” I whispered back, staring into his hypnotizing eyes. His hand cupped my face as his eyes smoldered.
“I'm glad.”
The desire to kiss him was so deep I couldn't have resisted even if I tried, and I slowly leaned in, my lips parting softly. I could smell him, the aroma that drove me wild. Suddenly we crashed together, our lips melding easily. Even though he was cold, it felt like fire. I gripped his shirt desperately and his arms were firmly wrapped around my waist. However the kiss was slow, deep, and sealed my fate. Slowly, painfully, we pulled away. I was breathing heavily, he was barely breathing at all. Did he even need to breath? What am I thinking, I just kissed my boss! My cheeks turned bright red, and it spread all the way to my ears.
“Adeline...” He said softly, his eyes still closed. I looked at him, scared. What would he say?
“Yes, Carlisle?” I asked quietly when he didn't continue. His eyes flew open and searched my face, for what I wasn't sure.
“You don't know how long I've wanted to do that,” He chuckled, shaking his head. I smiled shyly.
“Me too.”
“Really?” He looked surprised. I suddenly remembered Alice was still in the room but when I turned to look at her, she was gone. I smiled, relieved.
“Yeah.” I replied when I turned back to him. I was still gripping his shirt, and I slowly released it from my clenched fingers. “Will that happen again?” I asked, staring at his shirt, too scared and embarrassed to look him in the eyes. I could feel his own eyes burning into the top of my head.
“Do you want it to?”
Was that even a real question? Now that I've had a taste, I didn't think I could give him up, not that I even wanted to.
“Yes.” That was the short answer. His finger slipped under my chin and slowly raised my head up, so my eyes met his, and he pressed a soft, quick kiss to my lips, making my stomach burst with butterflies.
“I'd like it to happen again too.”
I blushed, again, looking at him through my eyelashes shyly.
“So where does that leave us?” I whispered. He looked thoughtful for a moment, and his thumb was rubbing soft circles on my hip, driving me insane. My hand clamped on his thumb, I couldn't think straight with him doing that. He looked at me quizzically.
“That was...distracting me.” I ground out, my throat suddenly dry. He smirked but ceased the movement.
“Adeline, would you be my girlfriend?” He asked. I'm sure if he could blush, he would be right now, judging by the slightly shy look on his face. I smiled brightly and pressed my lips to his, lingering for a moment then pulling away.
“Does that answer your question?” I smirked.
“I believe it does.” He led me towards the stairs and into his study, softly shutting the door behind us. I looked around curiously, before noticing a painting. I could easily recognize Carlisle, but men I didn't recognize were also in the painting.
“Carlisle?” I asked, glancing at him, he was watching me with a soft smile.
“Hm?”
“Who are those people?” I asked looking back at the painting. His cool arms wrapped around me and I was pulled into his lap. I laughed, and got comfortable.
“Those are vampire lords called the Voltouri...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if it feels like its moving fast, realize that i've skipped ahead weeks between chapters. Mostly I'm skipping through so much because I want this to be short story-ish. But I will cover all three books.