Status: Completed

The Internship

Those Three Words

Being with Carlisle was like being on a sunny beach. Easy, warm, and comforting. He always knew what to say, and when to say it. I started to not hate Forks as much. And now that I knew the secret, Bella and I were hanging out again—when we weren't with our respective boyfriends. Life was becoming nicer. I didn't tell my mom I was dating Carlisle, I knew that wouldn't end well.
So it was with this easiness that I walked into school on Monday, and was quickly ambushed by one of the football players, but I couldn't remember his name.
“Hey. Adeline right?” He asked. This particular boy had sandy blonde hair, brown eyes, and stood at around 5'9.
“Can I help you?” I asked politely, glancing around for Emmett or Alice. Of course, they were no where in sight. He stepped closer to me, and leaned on the wall. Alarm bells were going off when he sent me a rather creepy smile.
“I noticed you hang out with those Cullen freaks a lot. Maybe you should hang out with me instead.”
I glared at him, and took a large step away from them.
“The Cullen's are my friends. And it takes a freak to know one.” I growled, clutching my binder to my chest. The boy turned red in the face, and yelled,
“Oh my god you're such a bitch!” He took a threatening step toward me and my eyes widened.
EDWARD!!!! I screamed in my head, hoping to every god available he was in hearing distance. I took steps back, noticing that the side of the school we were in was pretty much empty.
“You may want to step away from her.” A quiet voice I recognized as Edward's said. I heaved a sigh of relief.
“Whatever,” The boy stalked off.
“You know, you didn't have to yell so loud.” Edward smiled as I turned to face him. I made a face.
“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Thanks for the help.” I sighed, giving him a playful punch on the shoulder.
“Not a problem. Come on, you're going to be late for class.”

Luckily for me, the rest of the day was relatively uneventful, barring the table that housed the jocks was glaring at me all through lunch. When school finally went out I made my way to my car, excited to be seeing Carlisle. Despite the fact I spent almost every day with him, I still missed him terribly when I wasn't with him.
I arrived at the hospital quickly, walking through the doors as I put my hair up in a pony tail. I decided to take the stairs today, for the exercise. When I reached the third floor, there was only one nurse at the nurse's station,
“Hey Helen.” I greeted. “Where is everyone?”
“Oh they all went to get lunch. They'll be back soon.”
“Tell em I said hi!”
I walked into Carlisle's office, and the man I had been dying to see was sitting there. His hair was mussed as he went over patient files, looking a little agitated. I closed the door softly, and went over to him, fixing his hair.
“Need any help?” I asked, putting the last strand into place. He sighed and pulled me into his lap.
“Not really, I wasn't able to concentrate.” He smiled, placing a small kiss on my shoulder. I shivered.
“Why's that.”
“Because this amazing woman won't get out of my head.” He nuzzled my neck. I was starting to breath heavy.
“Well then, tell me who she is so I can beat her up.” I chuckled breathlessly.
“I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.” He murmured, before capturing my lips with his own. It was an awkward angle, since my back was facing him, but I couldn't bring myself to care. Carefully, I switched around so I was straddling him, barely pulling away long enough to get a breath in. My hands went straight to his hair, and I tugged on it, reveling in the softness. He growled into the kiss and before I could blink I was up against a wall, our kiss swiftly turning from sweet to hungry. A familiar fire was lit in my belly, and warm waves of neediness started to pound in my blood stream. His hands were up my shirt, leaving a trail of fire, while my legs tightened around him, pulling him closer to me. I was lost. I didn't even think, everything was base instinct. His lips left mine as he started kissing down my jaw, his tongue licking me in sensitive places, and it took all I had to make sure my moans were quiet.
Then, it ended when a knock sounded on the door. Before I could open my eyes I was sitting in my chair, dazed, and Carlisle answered the door, looking like we hadn't almost had sex in his office.
My lips were swollen, cheeks flushed, and my head slowly leaving cloud nine and coming back to earth as the achy need between my legs slowly—painfully slow—diminished. Once I was relatively coherent, I finger brushed my hair and fixed my wrinkled shirt. Carlisle closed the door and we were left alone staring at each other.
“I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lost control like that.” He said quietly, sitting in the chair across from me. Sorry? He was sorry?
“I'm not sorry.” I replied, bewildered.
“Adeline, you don't understand. I could have bitten you.” He sighed, rubbing his face. The thought didn't terrify me as much as it should. I loved him, even if he didn't know it yet, and a large part of me knew if I wanted to stay with him, I'd have to be turned.
“That doesn't scare me.” I stared at him, straight in the eyes, trying to mentally convey what I wasn't yet ready to say out loud. He either ignored it, or didn't get the message.
“Adeline, it should scare you. I could suck you dry, or turn you.”
At least if I died, it'd be by his hands. That didn't bother me so much, even though I'd rather not die.
“Carlisle, I don't think you understand. You will stay twenty three for eternity. I only have four years before I'm physically older than you. Eventually, I will want to be turned.” I said carefully, judging his reaction. At first, he looked happy, then devastated.
“You would give up your life, just to be with me?” He wouldn't look at me now, instead looking at the generic painting on the wall.
“What life? My father is dead. My mom and I have an ok relationship at best. The only friends I've made are your family and the one other human on the fast track to being in the same predicament I'm in as well. Once I can control myself, I can go to college to become a doctor. I wouldn't be giving up anything, instead I'd be gaining a whole hell of a ton.” I argued, reaching out to hold his hand. Our fingers intertwined as he looked at me and smiled.
“You are amazing.”
I laughed.
“If you say so, sweetie.”
We spent the rest of my scheduled time checking on the few patients we had, then he quizzed me on what I could only describe as a vocabulary list; even though we often took breaks just to talk. Or make out. Mostly make out. What can I say? I'm utterly addicted to him.
I went home in a blissful mood and with a promise that Carlisle would call before I fell asleep. I could smell dinner cooking, and due to the police cruiser in the driveway, I knew Charlie was here. I walked into the kitchen and then immediately turned and walked out.
“Gross! I didn't need to see that!” I whined. Charlie was making out with my mom. I shuddered.
“Sorry sweetie! You can come in now.” She didn't sound very sorry. I walked back in, my mom was giggling and Charlie looked like he wanted to be swallowed by the floor.
“What's for dinner?” I asked, sending an 'it's ok' look to Charlie.
“Chicken Parm with noodles.” She replied, opening the oven a crack. “Should be done in about ten minutes. Why don't you get cleaned up?”
“Alright,” I nodded, and made my way to my bed room. I stripped down and stared at myself in the mirror for a moment. I suppose I had a nice body. My legs were strong and slowly toning up from the stairs at the hospital. My arms were thin but had a good layer of muscle. My stomach was flat, yet slightly pudgy. All in all, desirable, I'd say.
I wonder what Carlisle would think.
I shook the thought away and put on a black tank top and a pair of light sweats. It didn't matter, he probably won't see me naked anytime soon. I washed my face, making sure to get the make up smudges, before going back down stairs.
Bella ended up joining us, for which I was thankful. We got along extremely well, and we each viewed the other as a sister. We spoke quietly about random things like schoolwork until dinner was over and I dragged her to my room.
“Bella, you will never believe what happened today at the hospital.” I gushed as I shut the door behind me. We sat on my bed, each leaning against the headboard.
“Spill!”
“So I walk in to his office, right? Normal day. He's going over his patient files and things. So we kiss right? Then all the sudden he's got me against the wall.” I started. Bella was staring at me wide eyed and mouth dropped open. “And we're having a total make out frenzy, like three minutes away from full blown sex. THEN, someone knocks on the door! Gosh they're not kidding when they say super speed. Before my eyes had even opened all the way he's sat me on my chair, straightened his clothes and hair, and was answering the door like it was just a normal Monday afternoon! And I'm just sitting there asking myself, what the hell just happened. It was freaking amazing.”
“Oh my god.” She squeaked, her cheeks flushed. “Weren't you scared he was gonna, you know,” She bared her teeth like she was gonna bite something.
“Honestly, no. Bella, tell anyone this I'll kill ya, but I love him. And logically, he's going to have to turn me if we're going to have any sort of life together. I'd like to graduate first but, in the end being bitten doesn't bother me.” I explained quietly. Bella was staring at me, smiling.
“Awww, that is so sweet! I'm not there with Edward yet, but I figure we both have time.” She confided, hugging one of my decorative pillows.
“You don't love him?” I asked, cocking my head to the side.
“No, no, I do, but I meant with the biting thing.” She said quickly, blushing.
“Gotcha.”
Our conversation then changed to a lighter topic, and eventually we were in stitches laughing so hard about a really dumb joke. My mom popped her head into the room.
“Bella, your dad's leaving. Are you staying longer?” She asked as we caught our breath.
“I'll leave too. My truck is blocking him anyways.” She smiled. We said our goodbyes and she left.
“Get some sleep Addie!” Mom said, before closing the door again. I pulled my hair from its ponytail, massaging the sore spots, before clicking out the light and settling in bed. I pulled out my cellphone, and scrolled through facebook bored, waiting for my phone call. Finally, after an agonizing ten minutes, it started to buzz, notifying me Carlisle was calling. I took a moment to appreciate the picture I took as his contact photo before sliding the green phone and answering.
“Hi sweetie.” I grinned, making sure to keep my voice quiet. Carlisle's honeyed voice came through the receiver.
“Hello, love. How are you doing?”
I loved it when he called me that.
“I'm alright, just getting settled in bed. Bella and Charlie came over for dinner.”
“Did you girls have fun?”
“Yes. We talked about boys,” I teased, eliciting a chuckle from him.
“Which boys did you talk about?” He asked, and I could hear him smiling.
“Mike Newton.” I said seriously, before breaking out into a giggle. “You, of course.”
“Good, I was afraid I was going to have to run Mike Newton out of town!” He laughed. I loved his laugh. Well, I loved him. But not the point.
“Oh please, you're too nice for that.” I said softly, smiling.
“I'd do anything for you, you know that?” He asked, his voice becoming serious. My playful smile slipped and I stared at my dark ceiling.
“I do now.” I replied quietly, also serious.
“I just want you to know that no matter what, I will always be there for you.”
“Carlisle?”
“Yes, Addie?”
“I love you.”