Status: Completed

The Internship

Beyond The Horizon

It had been two weeks since Carlisle had been taken. No one but me, Bella, and the Cullen’s knew the reason for his disappearance; Alice had told everyone that he was in Alaska visiting family. I hardly left my room outside of school and I had thrown my self into homework, trying to keep my mind off of him. Thinking of him just left a bitter, malicious taste in my mouth and made my heart feel like it was being torn to shreds. I didn’t speak to anyone, although the Cullen’s tried (Even Jasper and Rose). My mom didn’t understand why I was acting like I was, and I refused to tell her which put an awkward strain on our already wobbly relationship. Bella didn’t even bother which made me that much more affectionate towards her. Carlisle’s phone had long since died, and I called over and over just to hear his voice. I tried hard to not be an empty shell, to prove my life didn’t depend on him. It was a mostly futile attempt, my being just wasn’t complete with out him. And worse yet, there was nothing I could do.
Xoxo xoxo
CARLISLE’S POV
It was time. Although I was weak from starvation, I knew now would be the only time I could escape, all three vampires had, stupidly, gone to hunt all at once. I flitted out of the cave. I caught and ate a rabbit as I went, boosting my strength enough to make the half a day run back to Forks. Back to Adeline.
I managed to outrun them, or at least escape their notice long enough to be too far away for them to follow.
Adeline’s face, my mates face, drove to run faster than I’d ever run before. I needed to see her.

Xoxoxoxoxo
Adeline’s POV

I received a text from Alice, and though I wanted to ignore it, a gut feeling told me to read it.
I was glad I did. The text was simple.
Carlisle is coming back, he’s escaped. He’s headed straight for you. Meet him in the woods behind your house, so he can hunt.
I frantically scrambled out of my bed a flew down the stairs, nearly falling down half of them. I made it a few feet into the woods, searching everywhere for him.
“Carlisle!” the scream ripped through me, painful, as I searched everywhere for a hint of his white blonde hair.
“Addie…” The voice was soft, ragged, and right behind me. I whipped around and nearly sobbed at the sight of my love. He looked awful, his hair was dirty and flat, deep purple bags marred his eyes and his clothes were ripped, and brown with mud.
“What did they do to you?” I asked softly, laying my hand on his cold cheek. His eyes clothes and he buried his face into it before pulling me into a hug, burying his head into my neck, taking a deep breath as dry, tearless sobs wracked his body. My own sobs broke free as we clutched at each other, breathing the other in.
After a few moments, I pulled away from him.
“Carlisle, you need to go and hunt.” I told him. He looked anguished, but his eyes were coal black, and I knew it was only a matter of time before he collapsed or felt the urge to bite me. “I’ll wait right here for you.” I promised.
“Alright, but first…” He pulled me into a lip crushing kiss, our lips working together in a frenzied harmony. I clutched his shirt while he held my face firmly in place with his hands on my neck. After a few moments, though it had felt like hours, he pulled away.
“Don’t move.” He whispered, then flitted away. I crouched down, relief finally crashing around me and I finally fully came to grips with the fact that he was ok. He wasn’t harmed, or worse. I don’t think I actually realized how terrified for him I’d been, the fear had been overwhelmed by the depression. Once I got a hold of my emotions, I stood again, and waited for Carlisle to return. I didn’t have to wait long, he soon approached me with his normal honeyed eyes and he was shirtless.
“What happened to your shirt?” I asked, appreciating his hard, muscled chest.
“It was destroyed by the time I was done, so I just discarded it. Come home with me?” His voice was still low and soft, needy, as he opened his arms. I quickly buried myself into his chest, breathing in his scent.
“Of course.”
He picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his torso and my arms wound tightly around his neck. After I buried my face into his neck, he took off, arriving to the Cullen house quickly. We weren’t stopped by anyone as we made our way up to his bedroom, he still hadn’t put me down. He actually took me into the bathroom with him and with one hand started the shower. He finally sat down and we got undressed. Right now, it wasn’t a sexual thing, rather a closeness issue. I wasn’t sure how he felt, but I felt that my chest would be ripped apart if I was away from him for more than a second. I needed to be near him like I needed air.
I ended up spending the night in his arms, Alice had texted my mother and told her that we were having a girls night sleepover. I was extremely grateful for it. Carlisle and I had separation anxiety for two days after he came back, he explained it was because I was his mate, and coming so close to losing each other put a lot of strain on our bond.
Alice told me that we were all going to play baseball this weekend, since there was going to be a thunderstorm. All the Cullen’s seemed excited at the prospect, and seeing Carlisle had made me happy.
Who knew that Carlisle’s disappearance was only the beginning, more trouble brewing just on the horizon.

Xoxoxoxoxo

Esme was furious. How could those two buffoons think it was smart to hunt at the same time?! She quickly dispatched the idiots, burning their dismembered body parts as she stalked up and down the cave floor.
She WILL have Carlisle, even if it meant killing every human possible in that puny little town.