Status: Completed

The Internship

Baseball and Dance Studios

It was the weekend, and Carlisle and I had easily fallen back into our routine of school, work, and hanging out. We no longer had issues with separation, although it still sucked to be away from him for too long. Carlisle explained that it was the mating bond. I was sitting on Carlisle's lap, reading a book for school while we waited for everyone to get ready for baseball. Carlisle was already lounging in baseball pants (yummy) and a jersey. I was wearing his spare jersey and Rosalie lent me some baseball pants. She seemed to be warming up to me. Slowly. It didn't take long for the Cullen family to be ready, and Edward had told us that he and Bella would meet us there. So after placing my bookmark and closing the book, I was hugged into Carlisle's arms and we were racing off to a clearing.
“This is going to be a lot of fun.” Carlisle murmured into my ear as we ran. My head was buried into his neck.
“I hope so,” I purred, and nibbled his ear softly. He clutched me to him a little bit tighter.
“Don't make me turn around.” He growled and I giggled, nuzzling my nose into his neck. Not long after, we stopped in a huge clearing. Carlisle let me down and I smiled at him, noticing his eyes slightly darker with lust. I leaned up on my tip toes and gave him a quick kiss before joining Emmett and Alice, the only other two kids who seemed to genuinely like me other than Edward and Bella.
“So why do we need a thunderstorm for you to play ball?” I asked, pulling my stolen jacket closer around me. It was Carlisle's, and it smelled like him.
“You'll see.” Alice smirked as the roaring of Emmett's jeep was heard. Not long after the jeep pulled into view. Edward and Bella got out and we picked teams. Bella and I were to act as umpires.
“Dumb vampires with their super strength and speed. Can't play cuz of that.” I mumbled to Bella, knowing full well they could all hear me as I mocked them. Bella repressed a smile as I continued. “Look at me, I'm so strong, and fast, mere mortals can't--” I was cut off as Carlisle threw me over his shoulder.
“Carlisle!” I squealed, laughing. “Put me down!” I pounded his back lightly. He smacked my butt playfully. He laughed and twirled me around before setting me on my feet.
“That's what you get for being a smart ass.” He smirked, then kissed my nose.
“It's time!” Alice announced, and then a huge clap of thunder hit as the rain started to pour. I sat next to Bella on a log as Rosalie stepped up to bat and Alice stood on the pitcher's mound. A wave of excitement buzzed through me as I glanced at Bella. Alice wound up the pitch, the ball flew so fast I didn't even see it. Rosalie hit it and the sound that emanated from it made me realize why they needed the storm.
“Ok, now I see why they need the thunder,” Bella told me quietly, her eyes lit up. We watched as the ball flew into the trees and Rosalie flitted towards the bases. Edward flew towards the ball.
“That's gotta be a home run, right?” Bella murmured, impressed. We stood and waited.
“I dunno. Carlisle told me Edward's extremely fast, even for vampires.” I replied. The ball came flying back through the trees and Carlisle, acting as catcher, caught it. Rosalie slid to home base as he touched the ball to it. Bella and I looked at each other.
“Sorry, you're out!” We said, and Emmett whooped in victory. Rosalie stood slowly and gave us a death glare.
“Come on babe, it's just a game!” Emmett gloated, and I glanced at Carlisle. He just gave a small smile and touched her shoulder.
“Nice kitty.” He smirked then stepped up to bat, Rosalie taking his place as catcher. Alice wound up the ball again and Carlisle ripped the bat forward, kicking the ball through the trees again. He took of running as both Emmett and Edward went for the ball, colliding with one another, keeping Carlisle safe as he slid into home. I smirked at him.
“Hey, Addie! Keep your thoughts to yourself!” Edward called out playfully. I flipped him off and we laughed. Then it was Jasper's turn. Bella and I gave him some room, knowing our smells bothered him. He did some fancy tricks with bat and hit the ball, Emmett flew up the tree and caught it, sending it back to Carlisle.
“My monkey man.” Rosalie purred, smirking at her husband. I giggled.
“Want a turn?” Carlisle asked, nuzzling his nose into my shoulder.
“Yes!” I exclaimed. I took the bat and stepped up, Carlisle behind me. He wrapped himself around me and helped me hold the bat. Alice smiled and pitched. Carlisle helped me swing and with our combined strength sent it flying. Carlsile quickly picked me up and we ran around the bases, We made it home before Emmett could toss the ball back.
“Yes!” I cheered, kissing Carlisle, my legs still wrapped around his waist. He laughed and Rosalie stepped up to bat again. Alice suddenly went out of focus and we all stared, waiting. She turned towards the tree line.
“Stop!” She called, clearly concerned. We all dropped what we were doing, Carlisle setting me down and I gripped his hand, worried. Suddenly, Bella and I were behind a shield of vampires.
“They were leaving, then they heard us.”
“Edward.”
“Got it,” Edward grabbed mine and Bella's arm. “Let's go.” He ushered us towards the jeep. I sent a panicked glance to Carlisle but he wasn't looking at me, but the tree line. Then he sent us a panicked look with a choked out,
“It's too late.”
Edward stilled, tensed, and his eyes got big.
“Get your hair down.” He ordered us. We both quickly ripped the ponytails from our hair.
“Like that will help I could smell them across the field.” Rosalie said snidely, scrunching her nose. The Cullens stood in a protective line, Edward still with me and Bella.
“I shouldn't have brought you here I'm so sorry.” He anguished, looking at Bella.
“What--”
“Just stay quiet and stand behind me.” He ordered, then joined his family. Sharing a confused look, Bella and I stood behind our boyfriends, my hand clenching to Carlisle's jersey. Three vampire's broke the tree line, stopping only a few yards from us. Even from here, I could tell that their eyes were bright blood red.
“I believe this belongs to you.” A Jamaican voice said. I snuck a quick peek. The one holding the baseball was a black man with long dreads, a careful smile on his face. He was flanked by a scary looking red head and an even scarier looking blonde.
He tossed the ball and Carlisle caught it effortlessly. I could only imagine the tight smile he'd have on his face.
“Thank you.” The tone of his voice confirmed the tightness I had imagined.
“I am Laurent.” The black man introduced. “And this is Victoria and James.”
“I am Carlisle, and this is my family.” He said, sparing a quick glance in my direction. I was terrified. I could feel Jasper tentatively sending calming waves over the group. I was thankful for him.
“Hello.” Laurent said.
“I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us.” Carlisle began, his tone conversational.
“Our apologies, we didn't realize that the territory had been claimed.” He had sounded actually apologetic, but it could have been an act. Who knows.
“Yes, well, we maintain a permanent residence near by.” Carlisle continued.
“Really?” He sounded surprised. “Well, we won't be a problem anymore. We were just passing through.”
“The humans were tracking us, but we lead them east.” Victoria's voice was low, dangerous, and sent me on edge. “You should be safe.” She snarked. Carlisle sent out a forced laugh that was more like a scoff.
“Excellent.” Was all he said.
“So,” Laurent chortled. “Could you use three more players?” The Cullen's looked at each other. “Oh come on, just one game?”
“Sure, why not.” Carlisle smiled. “A few of us were leaving, you could take their place.” As he said this, Edward slowly started to draw Bella and I away. “We'll bat first.” He said, then tossed the ball back. Victoria caught it.
“I'm the one with the wicked curve ball.” Jasper and Emmett glanced at each other, while Edward was still leading us backwards. Slowly.
“Oh well, I think we can handle that.” Jasper's southern voice drawled out. Emmett went back to his bravado.
“Ooooh!” He called, smiling largely. They all broke up and went to their places. James, the blonde, stared at us questioningly before turning away. Edward quickly started to pull us to the jeep. The breeze picked up. Aw fuck. I could hear James's long sniff.
“You brought a snack.” He growled, prowling towards us. Edward quickly shoved us behind him. Suddenly the family was surrounding us, crouched, growling lowly as James did the same, Laurent and Victoria flanking him.
“For a human?” Someone ground out, the blood was rushing in my ears with terror, making it hard for me to hear.
“The girls are with us.” Carlisle snarled. I knew he was over flowing with protective instincts. “I think it best if you leave.” He breathed.
“I can see the game is over.” Laurent said, his hands pushed out in a surrender. They were grossly out numbered. “We'll go now.” He backed away but James and Victoria were still there. “James,” He ordered. Finally, the blonde backed up, Victoria with him. They wrapped each other in an embrace and walked off, James sending us a menacing glare over his shoulder.
'Edward, get Bella out of here. Go!” Carlisle ordered before wrapping me in his arms.
“I will keep you safe.” He vowed to me.
“Carlisle!” I said, the strength of my voice surprising me. “You do not get to leave me, ok? Where I go, you go. I love you.” I sniffed, looking at him.
“Ok.” He breathed.
The next few hours were a whirlwind. Bella ran away from home, Laurent came and warned us about James, and then we were in the garage. I was thrown into a car with Bella. Rosalie was wearing Bella's jacket and Carlisle was wearing mine (which would have been hilarious if it were under different circumstances). Suddenly, I knew that Carlisle would not be getting into the car with me. I could tell by the way he avoided eye contact.
“You're not coming with me.” I said to him, my eyes burning with unshed tears.
“It, It's not safe.” He replied feebly. I leaned out the window of the car and grabbed his shirt.
“If you're going to leave, you better come back for me. Carlisle Cullen, I love you. More than I thought it was even possible to love someone else. You better come back to me!” I growled, staring at him with determination. He finally looked at me.
“Adeline, I swear on my undead life I will come back. I will come get you. I love you too.” He pulled me into a passionate, heated kiss, his cool lips working against mine.
“Carlisle, if anything happens to me, and I don't look like I'll make it, change me.” I told him. Before he could answer, Bella yanked me back into the car and Alice flew the car out of the garage.
We traveled for a few days before ending up in a hotel in Phoenix, Arizona. Alice and Jasper were sitting on the couch, and I was moping in my bed. Bella was pacing. I didn't much pay attention to what they were talking about. Alice had a vision about James doing something or other, but I didn't particularly care. Sighing irritably, I got up.
“I'm getting in the bath. Disturb me, and I will shoot you with flaming arrows.” I muttered darkly then closed myself into the bathroom. Minutes later I was sunk into a steaming bath, glaring at the plain ceiling. I was mad at Carlisle. I was mad that he left me. I was worried. I was scared. I was exhausted. I was close to drifting off to sleep when the door burst open.
“What the hell!” I shouted, turning my glare onto the person who dared enter. My glare loosened when I saw a frantic Bella.
“James has my mom!” She wailed. I sat up.
“He what?”
“He has my mom! He wants you and me to come to my old dance studio. Alone.” She explained.
“So, you want us to sneak past two vampires and what? Get eaten?” I raised my eyebrow at her.
“Are you coming or not?” She growled. I sighed. Well. Here goes my high school diploma.
“Yes, fine. Let me put some clothes on.” I grumbled. I pulled the plug on the tub as Bella threw my duffle bag into the room and left. I got up and quickly toweled off, putting on a t shirt, shorts, and my chucks. I left my hair up in its haphazard bun.
“Here's the plan. While Alice and Jasper check out, we're going to sneak out the back.”
“Good plan, simple, easy to remember.” I snarked. She just smacked my arm and dragged me down to the lobby, Alice and Jasper already there. We tried to keep our minds and feelings blank as we quickly ran out the back door, and into a cab.
We arrived at the studio. It was dark.
“Bella? Bella! Where are you? Bella?” I could hear a woman's frantic voice call out.
“Mom!” Bella cried, taking off towards a door way.
“Bella!” I hissed, sticking near my escape route.
“There you are Bella.” The womans voice said. Bella walked out of the room, pale.
“It's a trap.” Was all she got out before James popped out of the shadows.
“That's my favorite part.” He said quietly, stalking around her. I gulped. I wouldn't leave Bella here, but what was I supposed to do? “You were a stubborn child, weren't you.” He advanced on her.
“She's not even here.” Bella wheezed out, and James shoved her into a wall. As quietly as I could, I began to walk towards them. I had no idea what my plan was, but I had to try something.
He was muttering in her ear about something, I couldn't hear him. He started to back away and I jumped on his back.
“Leave her alone!” I yelled, terrified. I was on a vampire's back who was hellbent on killing us. All too easily, he threw me off, and I slid painfully across the floor as I hit my head, my legs getting scraped. I laid there, slightly dazed.
“That was stupid.” He said offhandedly before turning back to Bella. My head swam as I tried to stand, my legs burning. Suddenly Bella lashed out.
“You...Edward has nothing to do with this!” She was shoved back against the wall. James was still too quiet for me to hear, especially passed the rushing noise in my ears.
“Leave her alone!” I said again, this time much more weakly. I was barely standing. Suddenly Bella sprayed something in his eyes and ran towards me, dragging me to the door. We didn't get far, James suddenly appeared in front of us. First, he threw me into a mirror, broken shards flying around me, cutting me. Then he threw Bella, and I could hear her pained gasp. There was a large shard of glass lodged into the back of my calf, making it impossible for me to get up. My head swam even worse, and all I could was sit, slouched, against the broken mirror, glass shards surrounding me, my eyes dimming. I could hear painful screams coming from Bella, but I couldn't move. My brain was fuzzy. It was all I could do to keep my eyes open as I cried silently from pure pain. I didn't know why I wasn't screaming, but the stubborn part of me didn't want to give him the satisfaction. I heard crashing. Then...Edward? Suddenly, my body couldn't take it anymore. I passed out.