My Saving Grace

Chapter 34

I sat in the car reapplying my lipstick while Antonio responded to students' emails. Judging from the rapid movements of his fingers, he probably had received a ton.

"You torturing your students again, hon?", I asked.

His lips were pursed as he drew his brows together, deepening the lines on his forehead.

"I may have assigned a homework problem that is, quote, "impossible." I'm just trying to get them to think beyond the surface of my lecture notes is all."

"Oh god, I hated professors who did that."

"Thanks for the support," he deadpanned.

"Anytime." I batted my eyelashes at him.

He shook his head, chuckling under his breath.

"So, what are you saying to them?"

"I'm telling them they can skip the problem for now and that I'll go over the solution in class on Monday. A few, though, are genuinely attempting to solve it, and I'm giving them hints."

"How generous. Okay, I'm ready to go inside now."

"Cool." He pocketed his phone then gave me his undivided attention. "How are you feeling?"

"Very full." I patted my stuffed tummy. "And a bit sleepy. You know me—after a meal, I crave a nap."

"Yes, I know you, mia bella. And we won't stay too long." He reached over to give my thigh an affectionate squeeze then we both got out of the car.

Eighties music filled the low-lit bar when we entered, and I immediately approved of the setting. Black leather booths lined the sides of the room, with red lights hanging above each of the tables while the wood interior and decor created a masculine feel.

Chase and Gwen were standing at the bar talking to one of the bartenders, and we headed towards them.

"You guys made it," Chase said with a grin.

"We did. This is a nice place," Antonio complimented, taking in the surroundings.

"Yeah, it's one of my favorite bars in Hollywood. They play good music, too."

"I agree," I voiced with a nod.

I was humming along to Def Leppard's, "Hysteria," as Chase led us to one of the nearby booths, then we all sat down, with him and Gwen in the ottoman bench seat across from us. Most of the patrons looked around our age and were impeccably dressed. Some of the guys even wore full on suits.

"Drinks are on me," Antonio announced as he began perusing through the cocktail menu.

"I'm cool with that," Chase acquiesced. He'd paid for dinner earlier.

"Anyone down for tequila shots?", Antonio asked.

"Ooh, that sounds excellent," Gwen said. I nodded in agreement. Antonio waved one of the bartenders over and put in our order.

"So Chase, tell me about how you and my wife came to know each other." He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees, bringing his interlaced hands up to his chin.

"Sophia hasn't told you?", Chase inquired, stealing a quick glance at me.

"She has. But I want to hear your version of the story."

"My version, huh? How much of my past do you already know?"

"I know enough, I think. It's incredible, really, how you were able to turn your life around. I'm happy for you, man."

"I appreciate it, Antonio."

Our tequila shots came, and we each took our respective glasses.

"Can I make a quick toast?", I declared, glancing at everyone.

"Of course you can, Soph." Chase smiled.

"I just want to say how grateful I am to have you back in my life again. That day I saw you in Santa Monica, I seriously thought I was dreaming. It only took, like what, seven whole years? If that wasn't fate, then I don't know what is."

Chase simply nodded, his piercing blue eyes becoming glassy as they gazed into mine.

"And I'm beyond grateful for this night. Having us four get together like this. So, here's to more nights like these." I lifted my shot glass in a toast, and everyone else did the same.

After clinking our glasses together, I threw back my drink, slightly wincing at the familiar fiery burn in the back of my throat. I normally didn't suck on a lime wedge afterwards, rather, I let the burn subside on its own.

"Wow, it's been a hot second since I've done a tequila shot," I remarked, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand.

"I feel you. I haven't had a tequila shot since my college days," Gwen spoke.

Chase set his glass down, relaxing in his seat.

"Sophia was a wild child in college," he said, giving me a teasing wink.

"Was she now?", Antonio asked, his eyes darting between Chase and me.

"She liked having fun, but school was definitely important to her. One time, she came to me after her physics exam went badly. She thought her life was over. Mind you, she was only a mere freshman. That's when I told her what real problems were. In other words, my problems."

"I acted like such a spoiled brat that time, huh?" My voice was timid.

"You're not a spoiled brat, Sophia." Chase had an adamant expression on his face, turning to address Antonio. "During my two weeks living in that deserted building and all the years after my father's death, no one gave a shit about me. But your wife...she did. She cared whether I lived or died."

Antonio reached for my hand, giving it a squeeze before setting our joined hands on his thigh.

"I only knew her for a week. She came by whenever she had the time, and we simply talked about our lives, our likes and dislikes. She was just...so easy to talk to. Not the least bit judgemental," Chase continued, shooting me a tender smile.

"Why only a week?", Antonio questioned, his brow arched as he released my hand.

Chase let out a sigh, averting our gazes as he stared down at the table.

"I had an pneumonia. Sophia took me to the hospital. I didn't want to be a burden to her, though, while she was focusing on her academics. So, when the doctors discharged me, I left and eventually ended up here in California with some relatives."

"Damn...." Antonio tapped his fingers on the table, an incredulous expression on his face.

"That was my exact reaction when he told me that story," Gwen quipped. Chase chuckled.

Chase Lincoln- a burden? That was the farthest thing from the way I'd felt about him back then. God, hearing those words come out of his mouth just now tore at my heart.

"You alright there, Sophia?", Chase asked, his voice laced with concern.

I quickly wiped away a tear that had managed to escape.

"I'm fine," I reassured with a smile. "More drinks?"

Antonio's, "Yes, please," came instantly as he flagged down the nearest bartender. "Anyone want more tequila shots?"

"I'll have just one," Chase replied.

"I'm good, thanks. I'll have a Long Island, though," Gwen spoke.

Antonio turned towards me, a slightly guarded expression on his face.

Strange.

"How about you, mia bella?"

"A Long Island as well...please."

"So two Long Islands and a tequila shot. And for yourself, sir?", the bartender addressed Antonio.

"I'll have two tequila shots and a Long Island."

"Two?", I exclaimed, my jaw dropping.

"I'll be fine," he muttered with a dismissive wave of his hand.

An hour later, we were all sipping on Long Islands, and my husband was clearly not "fine." He was the drunkest he'd ever been in person with me, his eyes bloodshot and words ridiculously slurred. Chase wasn't quite at that level, luckily, but no doubt Gwen would still drive them back.

Throughout the night, a handful of people approached our table to get his autograph or take a picture with him. Unlike Gwen and I, who were both used to this by now, Antonio was utterly fascinated and simply reveled in being in the presence of a celebrity.

Meanwhile, at the table next to us, there were these two scantily clad girls with their group of friends who kept blatantly ogling my husband ever since they'd arrived. When one of them went to go use the bathroom, she made sure to slide closer to him so that her ass was practically in his face as she stood up. He didn't pay her any attention, but still, it made my blood boil.

Eventually, though, they stopped, probably after seeing the wedding band on his finger.

Or, it might have been the menacing glare I gave them, who knew?

"Okay, my turn. Who's everyone's celebrity crush?", Gwen asked during our little get-to-know-you game.

"I can guess Sophia's," Chase blurted.

"Go for it," I urged.

"Justin Baldoni."

"Damn, you're good."

He shrugged.

"Your favorite TV show in college was Jane the Virgin. Based on your husband's looks, who else could it be?"

Once again, Chase's insane memory blew my mind.

"That's fair. I certainly do have a type." I turned to Antonio, giving him a wink. He smiled drunkenly, and I couldn't help but giggle. "Who's your celebrity crush?", I asked him.

"Alicia Vikander."

"Ooh, she is pretty. Gwen, your turn."

"Henry Cavill."

"Good choice. He's very yummy."

"Who's yummy?", Antonio demanded loudly.

"You." I nudged him in the ribs with my elbow. "And keep it down, will you?"

"I'm trying, baby...s'not my fault you look so sexy right now," he slurred.

I was thoroughly perplexed.

"What are you talking about?"

He waggled his eyebrows, bringing his glass up to his lips for a sip, and that's when it clicked.

I could feel my cheeks burning as I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat, fighting the urge to laugh. Just as badly, I also wanted to wipe that stupid look off his face.

"I was talking about your voice, Antonio. Not your goddamn cock."

How I managed to keep a straight face while saying that, I had no idea.

I turned back to Chase and Gwen, clearing my throat.

"Hope I didn't scar you guys too badly. But anyway, who's your celebrity crush, Chase?"

Gwen was suppressing a laugh. I couldn't blame her—drunk Antonio was a force to be reckoned with.

"Megan Fox," Chase replied with a lazy grin. "I wouldn't mind doing her. I mean, doing a movie with her."

Gwen and I shared a look, and our thoughts were mutual.

Pray for these men.

"I've got a question for you all," Chase drawled, a devilish gleam in his eyes as he leaned in close. "Where's the craziest place you've had sex?"

"Dear God," I muttered under my breath. Gwen gave me a pained smile.

"Anyone care to share first?", he asked.

"You go right ahead, Chase," Antonio said, crossing his arms in front of his chest as he slouched in his seat. It was then that I noticed how clammy his skin looked.

"You feeling alright, babe?", I asked gently, touching his bicep.

"I'm fine." His tone was sharp, and it stung. I instinctively removed my hand.

"Let's see...the craziest place I had sex was on the bare ground during the middle of a Minnesota winter," Chase spoke.

"Shit, were you out in the open?", Antonio interjected.

"No, we were inside of an abandoned building," he clarified. I felt his eyes on me for the briefest of seconds before he looked elsewhere.

My head was spinning a hundred miles an hour, but before I could even conjure up the memory of that night I spent in Chase's arms, Antonio began to speak.

"It was a college spring break trip to Cabo, I think. My buddy's dad was loaded, and he booked us a private beach for the week. I met these two insanely hot chicks from UPenn, and one night after everyone had gone to bed, I fucked them both on the beach."

"At the same time?", Chase asked, his eyes wide.

Antonio downed the remainder of his drink then roughly set his glass down next to my half-empty one, his expression stoic.

"Yup. I got fucking high on tits and pussy—it was amazing."

I blanched, feeling like I'd been punched in the gut.

God, I was going to be sick.

And I never wanted to hurt anyone as badly as I did those two UPenn chicks.

"Damn, man, I was not expecting that from you," Chase remarked, his brows furrowed.

Antonio shrugged in a detached manner.

"Threesomes are great and all, but nothing beats the feeling of sinking into my wife's hot pussy."

Okay, that did it.

"It's getting late, we should probably head out now," I blurted, feeling utterly mortified as I bolted out of my seat.

Chase cleared his throat, looking extremely uncomfortable with his face further reddening by the second while Gwen stared dazedly at Antonio.

"Yeah, it's past midnight already." He glanced at his wristwatch then they both stood up.

"We're leaving now?", Antonio inquired with a raised brow.

I let out a pent-up sigh.

"Yes, we are. Give me your keys."

"What makes you think I can't drive?"

I was bristling.

"Antonio, please. Don't argue with me."

He scowled, reaching into his jacket pocket and handing the keys over to me as he fumbled to stand up. Then, we all made our way out the door. Halfway to the parking lot, he nearly face planted on the concrete, and I had to grab onto his waist, grimacing while I steadied him.

Before turning to Chase and Gwen, I plastered a smile on my face.

"Well, this was really fun. Drive safely, okay? Text me when you guys are home." I gave them both a hug.

"You, too, Sophia," Chase said then directed his attention to Antonio, rubbing his shoulder. "You good, man?"

"I've been better. But it was nice meeting you and Gwen."

The men shook hands, and after saying our good-byes, I helped Antonio to the car because we all knew he was not capable of walking right now.

Once he was situated in the passenger seat, I shut his door then took a deep, calming breath as I rubbed at my temples. I was feeling so many emotions at the moment—embarrassment, jealousy, rage, exhaustion. But after convincing myself that it was all due to the alcohol he'd consumed, I managed to loosen up a bit.

I walked over to the driver's seat and got in, starting the ignition.

"Mia bella," Antonio murmured.

"Yes?" I glanced over at him, only to find he'd passed out with his head against the window.

I sighed heavily.

"Let's get you home."

The drive home took about twenty minutes, and after parking in the garage, I shifted in my seat to face Antonio, who was dead asleep with his head angled towards me. There was no way I could haul his body out of the car, so I guessed he just had to spend the night here. I grabbed my phone and saw a new text.

Chase: Hey, this is Gwen! We both got home safely. Chase fell asleep as soon as he hit the couch. Get some sleep, both of you, especially Antonio. See you again soon!

I typed a quick response.

Me: Thanks for letting me know! We're home, too, and yes, he's fast asleep in the car right now.

I rolled down all of the windows then got out to go retrieve a blanket for Antonio from the living room. When I returned, I draped it over his body then reclined the driver's seat as far back as it could go before climbing in, pulling the other half of the blanket over my own body.

I lay on my side, so I could simply observe him. He was so unbearably handsome, it hurt. His dark lashes looked impossibly long against his cheeks, and even in a drunken slumber, the corners of his mouth were turned downward in a frown. I reached a hand out to trace his full, sensual lips, which I'd never tire of kissing.

I easily could have slept inside in an actual bed, but the thought of leaving my intoxicated husband out here all alone just didn't feel right.

"I love you, Antonio. So much. But God, I hate you when you're drunk," I whispered.

Then, I turned my back to him and fully reclined in my seat, letting sleep take over me.