My Saving Grace

Chapter 35

I awoke with a start in the late hours of the morning, my heart thumping rapidly in my chest as I fought to control my panting breaths. Vivid images from my way too sexual dream were floating in my mind, and ninety-nine percent of me wanted to erase them.

...The remaining one percent, however, wanted to cling onto them because god damn was I aroused.

Let's just say that Antonio's whole talk of threesomes managed to manifest itself in my sleep. Only in my dream, I didn't envision him and his UPenn chicks. Instead, I'd been the one sandwiched in bed between two very naked men—Antonio and Chase.

And yes, I felt utterly shameful and dirty just thinking about being in a situation like that.

The sound of a male groan snapped me out of my thoughts, and I turned to face the source, my heart warming. But then, I remembered the obscene things he'd spoken last night, and I immediately grew cold.

Antonio's eyes slowly blinked open, and he ran a hand over his tired features.

"Where the hell am I?", he muttered.

"Hotel del BMW," I replied.

"Huh?" He raised a brow in confusion.

I sighed in irritation.

"We're in the garage in your car."

His eyes widened in surprise as they roamed over our surroundings.

"Shit, you're right."

"Sadly."

"Sounds like you were having quite the dream, too." He smirked, and I wanted the ground to swallow me whole.

"You're imagining things," I lied.

He shook his head, a devilish grin playing on his lips.

"Nah, I'm pretty sure those were your moans I heard, sweetheart."

"You were supposed to be sleeping!"

"I was...but it's not my fault you woke me up. Anyway, care to share the details?"

"No! And for the record, I hate you right now." I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

His lips pursed as he regarded me intently.

"Why?"

"What do you remember from last night?"

He frowned, rubbing his stubble-covered jaw as he stared straight ahead.

"We ate dinner at the Korean barbecue place then went to a bar. We all did tequila shots, right?"

"Yes. You did three. Hence why you reek of tequila right now."

"Whatever." He rolled his eyes.

"Why did you drink so much? I didn't think you'd planned on getting wasted."

"I wasn't. You know I like to be in control of my actions."

"Do you? Because you and I have never really gone out to bars together besides our honeymoon—"

"I'm not an alcoholic. But at the bar, I hated the way Chase kept staring at you. He smiled every time you spoke. It was like his girlfriend didn't even exist. And there was something he said, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was."

My jaw dropped, and I was inwardly seething.

"Are you serious, Antonio?"

"He definitely sees you as more than a friend, Sophia." His tone was grim.

"You sound ridiculous right now."

"I'm being honest with you. I thought you appreciated honesty?"

I looked him dead in the eyes, sighing in frustration.

"You have nothing to be jealous of. Even if Chase did see me as more than a friend, I see him as just a friend."

He let out a breath, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Okay, fine. I'm sorry for overthinking things."

My jaw ticked as I remembered his words from last night.

"You have other things to apologize for."

"What are you talking about?"

"Forget it," I muttered, grabbing the door handle to leave when he grabbed my arm.

"Tell me." His voice was pleading.

I whipped my head around to glare at him.

"The two "insanely hot chicks from UPenn" you fucked during your spring break. How high you got on tits and pussy. But wait, threesomes don't beat the feeling of "sinking into your wife's hot pussy." Any of this ringing a fucking bell?", I spat, drawing air quotes where they were needed.

He visibly paled, his eyes bulging out of their sockets.

"I said all of that?"

I nodded.

"Jesus Christ." He drew a sharp breath, running his fingers through his hair.

"Chase never should've asked a question like that in the first place. But I don't think any of us were expecting you to take it that far."

"What'd he ask?" He arched a brow.

"We were playing a get-to-know-you thing, and he asked where the craziest place we've each had sex was."

He scoffed.

"The guy was literally asking for it."

"I know, I'm mad he asked something like that. But still, Antonio, what the actual hell?"

He took both my hands in his, and our gazes met.

"Sophia, I swear to god, I don't remember saying any of that. I shouldn't have gotten so drunk, but like I said, I was trying to erase all of my jealous thoughts. Fuck, I'm so sorry." His shoulders slumped as he let his head hang.

I slowly exhaled. He'd acted shitty last night, but I needed to be the bigger person.

"It's over now. But if you ever get drunk like that again, please don't talk about me in such an...objectifying way."

His expression grew somber as he squeezed my hands.

"Never. And I'm sorry if I hurt you when I talked about my spring break. It was a long time ago during my junior year at Stanford."

"I know."

"Anything else I should apologize for?"

I sighed.

"No, that's it."

"Cool."

He reached out to tuck a stray curl behind my ear with his finger.

"How's the hangover?", I asked.

"I'll get over it. You didn't have to sleep out here, you know."

"I know."

He smiled ruefully, caressing my cheek with his thumb.

"You're too good for me, mia bella."

"Honestly." I rolled my eyes, and he chuckled.

"We good?"

"Sure."

He frowned.

"What is it?"

"I just need some time to put this all behind me," I replied truthfully.

He abruptly leaned back in his seat, giving me space.

"By all means, take your time." His tone was aloof, which further aggravated me.

"Antonio—"

"I'm gonna go take a shower."

He grabbed his blanket, adjusting his seat back to its original position before getting out of the car. The sound of his door slamming shut was followed by the ringing of my phone, and I reached into my purse for it.

"Hello?", I answered.

"Hey. Did I wake you guys up?", Chase asked.

"No, we were already awake. What's up?"

"Well, I'm currently cursing my hangover while driving to meet up with my manager."

"It's a Sunday, though."

"This was the only day that worked for both of us. He's leaving for Spain tomorrow."

"Oh, I see."

"How's Antonio doing?"

"He went to take a shower. He's got a hangover, too." I sighed before continuing. "Listen, I want to apologize for his behavior yesterday. It was uncalled for."

"It's all good. The guy was clearly drunk. I hope he apologized to you, though, for all the stuff he said. At least the part about your...you know what."

My entire face grew hot.

"Oh god, you remembered that."

He chuckled.

"Come on, princess, he wasn't saying anything new. I already knew the feeling myself."

"Chase!", I scolded, fighting the blush forming on my cheeks.

"You don't have to feel embarrassed or anything."

"But Gwen—"

"Don't worry, she found the whole thing very amusing. We both agreed that Antonio is a very fun guy. He's good for you. I didn't think college professors looked or...talked like that."

We both laughed.

"Hey, so the question I asked yesterday...which led to Antonio's wild tale, what would you have answered?", he asked.

"Honestly, it probably would have been the same answer as yours. Antonio and I haven't really had sex anywhere that...exotic before. Oh my god, why am I talking about my sex life with you?"

He laughed then cleared his throat.

"Anyway, things are good with you and him?"

"For the most part, yeah. I'm still kind of mad, though."

"That's understandable. Well, I hope everything goes back to normal eventually. He definitely cares for you. If I'm being honest, though, I don't think he likes me much."

"What makes you think that?"

He dragged in a breath.

"I don't know. I just have this feeling in my gut. Like during dinner, we got along fine, but at the bar, he seemed callous. Not just towards me, but in general," he explained.

And I knew the exact reason why.

"Yeah. He probably got tired or something."

"Hmm."

Chase didn't sound convinced. I didn't want to bring up what Antonio had told me, though, about how he'd been jealous. That would make this conversation take a totally different, more awkward turn.

"Well, I'll let you go now. I could use a shower myself."

He sighed.

"I bet. We'll talk again soon, okay?"

"Yeah, I'd like that. Let me know when you're free and we can maybe go for coffee or something? I can wait as long as it takes."

"Of course. God, I wish I could see you more often, princess."

"Me, too. Hope you and Gwen have a wonderful Thanksgiving."

"Same goes for you and Antonio. Don't stay mad at him for too long, alright? Anger uses up unnecessary energy."

"I won't," I conceded.

"Good. Bye, Sophia."

"Bye, Chase."

Life was short, I reminded myself. And with that in mind, I grabbed my purse and blanket and got out of the car, heading inside the house in search of my husband.

I found him in the kitchen bent over a bowl of cereal, a brooding expression in his dark eyes. He wore a white T-shirt and pair of training pants, his hair damp from the shower he'd taken.

"Hey," I spoke, sauntering over to his side.

"Hey." He didn't meet my gaze.

I took a deep breath, laying a hand on his broad shoulder.

"Let's just put last night behind us, okay? Only the bad parts, of course."

"Why the sudden change of heart?" He glanced up at me, knitting his brows together.

"Life is too short to be spent being mad over the little things."

My lips began to quiver.

"I mean, look at my mom and dad," I added in a mere whisper, clutching his shoulder.

"Hey, it's okay," he said gently, reaching his hand up to clasp mine.

I exhaled, composing myself as moments of silence passed.

"So, um, do you have a lot to do today?", I finally asked.

"Unfortunately, yes. I'll be locked up in the office editing manuscripts and entering students' grades."

"Sounds like a fun time."

"I know, right. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe I should call Chase and apologize to him and Gwen for my behavior last night."

"It's all good. I was on the phone with him just now. He even urged me to not be so hard on you."

"Really?" He raised a brow in disbelief.

"Yeah. They're really chill people."

"Good to know. Now, go take a shower. I'll make lunch and dinner today."

"Are you saying I stink?" I placed my hands on my hips.

"No, mia bella. You look exhausted. A shower will help."

"Whatever you say, boss."

I turned around to leave, and he playfully swatted my butt.

I hate you, I mouthed to him.

I love you, he mouthed back.

I shook my head, smiling to myself as I headed up the stairs. Chase was right—it felt so much nicer to not be angry.